The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath accommodation thread 2012-2013. Poll included (woodland added)!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Flippin-Mad
Haha well tbh that normally happens when people have stuff they want to catch up on iplayer (pretty much no one bothers with a tv licence/tv) or are skyping someone or something orr during busy times are eating and working. And even if your flats not like that most flats that are more like that tend to 'adopt' people they're friends with so if you really don't like it then there's always more options...orrr you can invite friends outside your flat around or something, I think it's just about being proactive if your flat aren't your kind of people, because there are all sorts at uni and everyone's new so no one will think you're stupid for asking if they want to pop round/go out or whatever. I'm doing psychology, which course are you applying for?

I have firmed the BBA course!!!

Oooohhhh!!! :smile: .... well then I guess I would have to stop being lazy :tongue: if I want to have a good time!!!!

BTW can u explain me the concept of a TV license(I read about it but did not understand the basic concept at all)??

Wat is Iplayer?? we dont have stuff like this down here!!! :frown: ... Although I do have it on my PS3!!! :smile:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
the vote won't show you anything about how popular places are......

the most popular places will be
woodland
marlbrough/solsbury
eastwood
westwood

in that order but maybe you can swap east and westwood around, you're not going to have a problem, or much of a problem, anywhere else
Reply 62

Original post by Nikstar95
Why next year??? The term starts this Oct rite???

I meant academic year, so the one starting this September/October-it's really quite soon!
Reply 63
Original post by charlie224

I meant academic year, so the one starting this September/October-it's really quite soon!

OHHH!!! sorry should have figured that out.... Yeh its closer than u think ..... :/ this year is goin very fast..... 3 months have already gone..... didnt even realize where time flew by!!! :frown:
Reply 64
I've applied to Norwood. Yeah its ugly as cra* from the outside, but looking round it the inside was modern and clean and the rooms seemed larger than those in westwood ( I currently have a friend at Bath who is in westwood and I stayed over on the day of my open day). Also the views from Norwood where honestly incredible which basically sold it to me.
My friend while I was at bath showed me round other accommodation and i was able to hear peoples feedback. He and actually told me not to apply to marl/souls as he felt they were a lot less sociable as you only share a flat with about 7 people, compared to like 16-20 in westwood, so there is a lot less going on, however his friend who was there was in an unfortunate situation in which she was on the ground floor where there are only 4/5 in a flat.
Westwood seemed like a great place to live, I visited on a hot day and everyone was outside on the grassy areas that surround westwood having a bbq. very very social. However I was worried by just how many people share a house. which is why i favoured norwood where there is only like 10 people per flat.

In regards to sharing toilets and showers its really not bad at all, I was at York uni for a term before realising I had made a mistake of course etc, and I was in standard accommodation and at first I was horrified by the thought of not having my own bathroom. But bathrooms are cleaned everyday and are spotless, ( and were spotless in bath when I was staying in Westwood) and in my entire term at York I never had to wait for the shower/ toilet. This is why I am personally not bothered about ensuite and would rather save the dollaaaaa

btw couldn't be bothered to read through everything I wrote so excuse any mistakes etc.
Reply 65
Does anyone know how they decide to group people into rooms? At my sister's uni they grouped people on similar courses, is it the same at bath or is it just the better ones (the ones with more people or whatever) go to the people who applied earlier?
Reply 66
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
x

Thanks for your help mate! :smile:

After what people have said, I'm probably going to stick to Norwood and Westwood and Westwood will be virtually right next to my classes :biggrin:
Original post by tseymo1
Does anyone know how they decide to group people into rooms? At my sister's uni they grouped people on similar courses, is it the same at bath or is it just the better ones (the ones with more people or whatever) go to the people who applied earlier?

In our flat in the first year they seemed to try and pair us so there would be one other on same/similar course but then people on different ones as well which is quite nice. Although it obviously depends on who applied for each type of accommodation :smile:
Absolutely no idea on this one. Perhaps they do put people in the same course in groupings, but tbh I'd prefer it if they mixed with different people because as much as I want to get on with people in my course, I'd like to get to know people outside my course.

I would assume though at bath people are just planked together depending on what type of accommodation they chose.

Yeah, this would be way better. Bath is small... I want to meet lots of people.
Reply 69
ahhhhh i wish my sponsor would hurry up and give approval to my uni choices!!!
i want to apply for accommodation too!!!! :frown:
Original post by yzarcemina
ahhhhh i wish my sponsor would hurry up and give approval to my uni choices!!!
i want to apply for accommodation too!!!! :frown:

Sponsor?
Reply 71
Sponsor?

i'm under scholarship, need to get approval from them before i can go ahead.. they're taking so long!!!
Reply 72
are all the accommodations at bath flat? are there any the are corridors?
are all the accommodations at bath flat? are there any the are corridors?

Don't quite understand your question?
Reply 74
Don't quite understand your question?

haha too many mistakes to be understood :smile: lol

i mean are the accommodations all flats? or are some of them halls? if yes which ones? :smile:

i mean are the accommodations all flats? or are some of them halls? if yes which ones? :smile:

QFA

See above.

Do you mean like are some self contained flats and others corridors with rooms off? If so the marl/sols are flats as is woodland and I think norwood. Different parts of Westwood are arranged in different ways parts of it are corridors with a kitchen at either end toilets and showers in the middle and then bedrooms along the corridor. Other bits of westwood are arranged vertically so there's a floor with a kitchen then floors with bedrooms and bathrooms then another kitchen and so on. Eastwood are arranged more like houses so kitchen at the bottom couple of bathrooms and bedrooms over about 3 floors. Brendon court is similar to the horizontal westwood blocks but with a kitchen in the middle then rooms either side, the difference is in Brendon each floor/corridor/flat doesn't have it's own kind of front door once you're in the building it's all pretty much open. I think this is what you mean? Let me know if not :smile:
Reply 77
Do you mean like are some self contained flats and others corridors with rooms off? If so the marl/sols are flats as is woodland and I think norwood. Different parts of Westwood are arranged in different ways parts of it are corridors with a kitchen at either end toilets and showers in the middle and then bedrooms along the corridor. Other bits of westwood are arranged vertically so there's a floor with a kitchen then floors with bedrooms and bathrooms then another kitchen and so on. Eastwood are arranged more like houses so kitchen at the bottom couple of bathrooms and bedrooms over about 3 floors. Brendon court is similar to the horizontal westwood blocks but with a kitchen in the middle then rooms either side, the difference is in Brendon each floor/corridor/flat doesn't have it's own kind of front door once you're in the building it's all pretty much open. I think this is what you mean? Let me know if not :smile:

WOW!!!! thank god I applied for Marl/sols thats the only accomoodation that seems normal :tongue:

All the other are arranged as if a crazy guy was building houses out of lego blocks ( sorry for the vague imagination I tend to do that) :smile:

BTW wer did u stay in your first year???
Reply 78

wow that's quite alot to take in. but thanks and yes that's what i meant :smile: haha sorry i didn't know how to phrase it properly:smile:

i'd like to ask, what's the difference between the two types at eastwood? i mean other than one having cleaning service and washbasin and vice versa. are the rooms same size with same facilities etc?
wow that's quite alot to take in. but thanks and yes that's what i meant :smile: haha sorry i didn't know how to phrase it properly:smile:

i'd like to ask, what's the difference between the two types at eastwood? i mean other than one having cleaning service and washbasin and vice versa. are the rooms same size with same facilities etc?

As far as I'm aware they're the same size and facilities but I'm not 100% certain :smile:

Quick Reply