The Student Room Group

Laptops and Lectures

Right, this is going to be a rather weird question, I imagine. I'm starting university Sept 2012, and my current laptop just died on me a few days ago, so my next purchase is going to have to be in mind of university too.

I'm probably going to get the new Macbook Pro update coming out later this month. I don't really like 13" laptops which could be a problem in lectures as I type faster than I write so I wouldn't be handwriting my notes.

Are 15" laptops too big for the average lecture table things, or would it fit fine on the 'table' in front? I don't really want to buy a 15" laptop if it is going to be too big to fit on the lecture table in front of me.
That completely depends where you go and what the lecture halls are like. Where I am we just have tiny desks and my 13" Macbook Pro is almost too big, but I know people who bring in huge laptops and get by fine, so I'd say in a regular lecture hall you'll have no problem with a 15" laptop.
Reply 2
Some people might get annoyed if you take up all the space on the desks in front, particuarly if they're like my lecture theatre which is just a long desk per row with folding up chairs behind it. But other than that you should be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by cat_in_the_hat
That completely depends where you go and what the lecture halls are like. Where I am we just have tiny desks and my 13" Macbook Pro is almost too big, but I know people who bring in huge laptops and get by fine, so I'd say in a regular lecture hall you'll have no problem with a 15" laptop.

Yeah, I understand completely haha. The thing is It was around 6 months since I visited my firm as I got my offer really early, and naturally I wasn't really paying attention to the size of the lecture theatre desks :biggrin:.

Original post by Shelly_x
Some people might get annoyed if you take up all the space on the desks in front, particuarly if they're like my lecture theatre which is just a long desk per row with folding up chairs behind it. But other than that you should be fine.

Yeah, that is how they are in Newcastle's law dept. I think the width may be okay, as even the 15" Pros are less than two inches wider than the 13" counterpart. I was more thinking that there could be some overhang which would suck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by PVisitors
Right, this is going to be a rather weird question, I imagine. I'm starting university Sept 2012, and my current laptop just died on me a few days ago, so my next purchase is going to have to be in mind of university too.

I'm probably going to get the new Macbook Pro update coming out later this month. I don't really like 13" laptops which could be a problem in lectures as I type faster than I write so I wouldn't be handwriting my notes.

Are 15" laptops too big for the average lecture table things, or would it fit fine on the 'table' in front? I don't really want to buy a 15" laptop if it is going to be too big to fit on the lecture table in front of me.

The screen size shouldn't be an issue at all!

also you might as well wait till like August when Apple usually run their promotion where you get an ipod touch for free, and don't forget your student discount i think its 15% (i'm guessing you already know that)
Reply 5
Original post by anandv05
The screen size shouldn't be an issue at all!

also you might as well wait till like August when Apple usually run their promotion where you get an ipod touch for free, and don't forget your student discount i think its 15% (i'm guessing you already know that)

Yeah I was going to wait until I actually start before upgrading my laptop as it was on its last legs anyway, but my laptop is pretty crucial right now as it's the only computer I have so I doubt I could wait that long =/. I can still get the 15% discount, just not the iPod touch which kinda sucks. I only have this laptop until I have finished all my revision notes and printed them off.
Reply 6
Apple do lovely student discounts these days. :smile:

You could always just have it on your lap if the table was too small? I wouldn't part with my 15" MBP for the world (yes, huge fail right there), I'm yet to find anything too small for it though :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending