The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine Students and Applicants

anyone been accepted on a medicine degree
please can tell me you a2 and as level results and GCSE results if you have.
many thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's a long list of all applicants somewhere in the first few pages on this forum. I got accepted and my results are in my sig (not as amazing as some peoples :tongue:) I'll try to have a look for this thread :smile:
Reply 2
Hi I have an offer (AAA) to study medicine at St. John's (2007 entry).

GCSE's 9A*'s
AS Biology A, Chemistry A, Maths A, Physics A

A Levels Biology ?, Chemistry ?, Maths ?, Physics ?,
AS Further Maths ?
AEA Biology ?, AEA Chemistry ?
Reply 3
I got an offer from Downing for Vet Med, which follows pretty much the same course as normal human Med for the first couple of years..

My info's in my sig.
Reply 4
look at the decisions thread...
they made people write in the results this year to avoid this kind of thread and now people cant be arsed to simply search through it lol
Reply 5
Given how we're clearly the coolest kids around, it would be simply stupid for us not to have our own thread in here. Come and chat/ask questions about whatever you like and we'll see what we can do.

For those of you I don't know yet, I'm Helen and I'm a 5th year at Clare.
Hi,
I'm a Second year medic and just wondering if anyone knows what the developmental biology option is like (i.e. is it at least a bit less confusing than the embryology from first year) cos i was thinking of doing it? I know the likelyhood of anyone knowing is pretty slim but thought i'd ask anyway.

Enjoy '08
Hello, I'm Danielle and a prospective medic for '08...I'm not going to be jinxing myself by suggesting I'm definitely coming- I need the grades first!

Just wanted to say hi and thanks Helen for setting this thread up- my computer wouldn't let me make one yesterday. At the moment I'm still too shocked to think of questions, but thanks for the offer of help and I'm sure I can find something to ask you at some point :-)
What are the practicals in the course ?

Also, for the BA degree how difficults is it to study a subject such as English etc ?

I was told that Oxford has more patient contact, but then I read a book and it said the opposite- whats the truth ?

Sorry for all the questions.
Reply 9
Hi, I have an offer for 2008 and am wondering about the transfer from pre-clinical to clinical. It's not really discussed in the prospectus etc! Is it a whole reapplication process? Also are there many people who do not get a place on the clinical course? I understand that it's very early to be asking this question, but it's something to take into consideration when deciding on a firm choice (providing I do get any other offers!). Thanks.
Reply 10
Hey all, I'll be a downing medic this oct (if all goes to plan)

Nice to see a few more of us? :smile:
Reply 11
I have an offer from Fitz for 2008. I remember being told when I was down there by someone that one of the subjects that they really don't want you to do is English Lit, because it hard to catch up the critical theory. Is that actually right?

and also, I read somewhere that you can now do a major (science) paper, like biochem, a minor (more arty) paper like SPS, and a research project. If that's the case then I would be so happy.
Hey hey, I'm a potential medic for admission in 2009. Best advice for preparation to get into Cambridge? What should I reeead?
Reply 13
Fr0z3nfl4m3s
Hey hey, I'm a potential medic for admission in 2009. Best advice for preparation to get into Cambridge? What should I reeead?

Something that interests you. I am really into proteins and biochemsitry so I read a lot of random things relating to that, and listened to weird podcasts etc. I don't think it'll be hard to find something to read (especially on the internet) if you've discovered an area that you really want to understand.
Vesicle
I have an offer from Fitz for 2008. I remember being told when I was down there by someone that one of the subjects that they really don't want you to do is English Lit, because it hard to catch up the critical theory. Is that actually right?

and also, I read somewhere that you can now do a major (science) paper, like biochem, a minor (more arty) paper like SPS, and a research project. If that's the case then I would be so happy.

What about Anthropology or pathology for the BA ?
Vesicle

Well at fitz apparently our DoS (Director of Studies - the dude in charge) goes mental at us if we say we want to do something non-sciency in 3rd year. And seriously it'd just be so much hassel trying to get onto another course, if you want an relax time in 3rd year (which you will deserve!) there are siency 'easy' subjects like: history and philosophy of science (which is also, apparently, very interesting).

Basically 3rd year is either:
-just one scince subject (e.g. pharm, or path) with a research project or dissertation or smtn.
or
-BBS which is a major and minor subject that you pick from a list. (major subjects are usually smtn hardcore and sciency, minor subjects vary from hardcore science the medical ethics)
or
- Some random other thing (that you have to apply for early) like enlgish etc. (If you're crazy want to do law or smtn hardcore they usually make you do 2 years, or so i've heard)
Reply 16
hi, i'm mhairi and i have an offer for medicine at sidney for 2008 conditional on getting three as at advaned higher! (<can't believe i can actually say that!! :]) Not that i'm planning on it, but does anyone know how many medical applicants miss their offer?

also, thanks to helenia to setting up this thread it's kind of cool to talk to the people who could (if all goes well and i meet my offer!) be on the same course as me next year! :]

And although actual students would probably be in a better place to answer this, in response to the guy above who asked about transfer from pre-clinical to clinical, i asked about this at the open day, and i think you apply and its order of preference, but there are enough places in the system that everyone should get a place? is that right?
Reply 17
Nasher and Basher
What about Anthropology or pathology for the BA ?

I think biological anthropology was in the options list. Hold on, I'll try and find the page for you.

http://www.bio.cam.ac.uk/sbs/facbiol/bbs/combinations.html

And from reading it more closely this time round, I think I am write about the options.

I've just had a thought, if I intercalate in Anthropology I could totally pretend to be a female version of Rivers from Regeneration (my text for Lit coursework)
Vesicle
I don't think it'll be hard to find something to read (especially on the internet) if you've discovered an area that you really want to understand.

Well that's the thing, there's so much out there, and I'd be interested to read anything...
I mean I read New Scientist and all but I don't know whether that'd particularly help me with the interview - perhaps...
Need something more directed at medicine...*-)
Reply 19
Fr0z3nfl4m3s
Well that's the thing, there's so much out there, and I'd be interested to read anything...
I mean I read New Scientist and all but I don't know whether that'd particularly help me with the interview - perhaps...
Need something more directed at medicine...*-)

don't know if this will help..

i applied this year for medicine, and really wanted to read around beforehand too. Some of the work experience i did was with an immunologist and i emailed him and asked if he had anything that i could read about autoimmune diseases and the immune system and the likes that wouldn't be too hard and ended up learning some really amazing stuff.

also, i subscribed to google alerts for things i was interested in (*the nhs, *the immune system, *autoimmune diseases, *diabetes, *cardiovascular diseases, and *tropical medicine since i'm going to africa next year) (google alerts, notifies you of all news stories on that topic and some of them are utter rubbish from the daily mail and the like but theres always one or two interesting ones in there, and you often get things from journals or scientific magazines too) i checked my alerts every day for one or two stories that looked interesting and the ones i liked i summarised in a database to look back at.

i aslo got stuff out of the library on arthritis, because i volunteer at a nursing home and was interested in it, and strokes because my gran had one last year - dead easy to find. reading a history of medicine at the moment, and finished how doctors think before christmas - theres lots and lots of pop science/medicine related books out there, i got tyhe ones i'm reading at the moment in borders, just ask one of the people that work there and they'll point you in the right direction.

that might be utter rubbish, but i did get asked about immunology and chemokines at my interview, and was able to talk about dementia and arthritis when they asked me about my volunteering!

Quick Reply

Latest