The Student Room Group

Why are Americans backward socially?

They like to claim they are culturally advanced. Yet racism(yes I know about Obama and we don't have a black president but that means jack) and homophobia, and creationism are rife there. Doesn't carry the hallmarks of a more progressive people to me. They got a hateful society.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I suppose the "cultural advancement" is due to that fact that America is so diverse, and we have an exponential amount of different cultures all under one; the United States

definitely can't deny that we do have discrimination, but socially backwards is a bit of a...stretch.
It's all a matter of perspective.
Reply 2
Because it's a very conservative nation - loving a return to what they all know and love.
Reply 3
Well, American culture is founded on the idiotic belief that they are somehow a special and important people and it is their right to take without asking and without remorse; Manifest Destiny or something. It's not hard to see why they haven't progressed when they're so staunchly convinced of their own divinity.
Reply 4
As opposed to socially forward Europeans?
They like to claim they are culturally advanced. Yet racism(yes I know about Obama and we don't have a black president but that means jack) and homophobia, and creationism are rife there. Doesn't carry the hallmarks of a more progressive people to me. They got a hateful society.

Despite aping their language?
Reply 6
Bismarck
Why do Europeans like starting pointless and borderline racist threads about Americans on student forums?

Says the citizen of a country that conquered and controlled a quarter of the planet as recently as 90 years ago.

Actually, I'm not a citizen. Right of abode ftw:smile:
Reply 7
Bismarck
Why do Europeans like starting pointless and borderline racist threads about Americans on student forums?

Says the citizen of a country that conquered and controlled a quarter of the planet as recently as 90 years ago.

At least attack his argument first...
Bismarck

It's not racist. It's a fact. Homophobia and racism are worse in the US than Northen Europe.
Reply 9
Bismarck
Ok, Brits are morally inferior to Pakistanis. Please attack the argument first.

He had an argument... you have a statement. But, if ya said something (no matter how ******** it may be) to back it up, I'd attack it before attacking your nationality.
Bismarck

Making ridiculous and unsupported generalizations against an entire nation just so you could feel better about yourself seems pretty close to racism to me.

Rubbish. I'll find some stats for you later.
Reply 11
Good points except for the creationism part. There's nothing "backwards" about believing in creationism. Plus, one can believe in both creationism and evolution.
Reply 12
Annie354
At least attack his argument first...

Well thanks for defending me and all, but expecting reason from TSR is like expecting a humpback whale to execute a flawless dive-roll on dry land; unrealistic and utterly stupid. I just come here for the spam.
Reply 13
Bismarck
Especially when you consider the fact that Britain has almost as many creationists as the US.

In number or percentage - it's a big difference. :smile:
Reply 14
loafer
what, and because you have a lot of 'rep' thats supposed to mean something?

I'm not on this bloke's side, but as far as I can tell at no point was he even slightly implying that. Be sensible, will ye.
Bismarck

This should be fun. I'd like to see your objective criteria for social backwardness.

I meant on homophobia. Though I'm sure I could do creationism and racism and find similar results.
You can start to see the issue by looking at the same word they use to adress themselves, americans. ITS THE UNITED STATES, America is a continent. I know now almost everyone uses the word americans too, but they where the ones that started it. I remember after 9/11 CNN headlined "America strikes back", wow, what a generalisation....
Reply 17
loafer
BUT i would hate to live in 90% of america, literally i think i would rather live in Iran than some parts of the states, honest to god - Iran.

You're clearly not very clued up on political freedom and civil rights.

Though we all enjoy taking the piss out of America, it's quite ludicrous to call it a 'backward' nation. I'm quite certain that all Western countries have some history of racism and bigotry - America happens to be one of the more prominent countries in this respect, but bear in mind it has long had a significant minority (African Americans). Also, though religion plays a more prominent part in politics there, this is not solely confined to America - in Western Europe, off the top of my head there's Ireland, Italy, Germany, and Belgium. I don't doubt there's more. And bear in mind that those who hold the 'backward' views tend to belong to specific groups and are confined to certain areas - again, the same could really be said for any country.
Reply 18
Bismarck
:confused: Of course in percentage; America has 5 times more people. What exactly is your point? Britain has at least 100 times more rapists and murderers than Luxembourg. I guess that means Britain is in total anarchy. Or maybe looking at percentages makes more sense.

I don't know... you didn't state, you just said 'almost as many', which, to me, indicates number.
We're all biased. America crawls under our skin like no other country. I don't really know why, but I would wager it on their own media. I mean movies like White Chicks(Very old-school I know) simply give the impression of a nation of morons and the social immaturity. The entire world has turned against America due to bad mistakes, but in all fairness the rest of the World shouldn't be feigning a halo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending