The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
oxymoronic
yeah... its natural to get disheartened by things not going well but try not to get too upset by it, its not the end of the world and as long as you know where the mistakes were you can ensure it doesn't happen again another time when its "more" important in the grand scheme of things, such as next year.

what came out last night then? was it just the coursework? as the people I was with ran off to check myed after getting a text from someone else and came back saying their full semester one marks were online :s-smilie: i won't tell you who i know but lets just say i know a lot of second year psychology students, hehe :smile:

i'm not sure what else came out last night - our marks will just be up on the concourse noticeboard as they don't get put on myed until july-ish when they have all our marks - ah I just want to know how I done!

on another note... was slightly confused today by the lack of books on the 2nd floor shelves in the library until I noticed the sign saying it was closing for the 1st floor on thursday :p:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 281
oxymoronic
x

psych 2 results came out today - 70% super duper happy :biggrin:
Reply 282
Anyone know when the exam timetable for this semester will be up? Just thinking ahead in terms of booking transport home and stuff. Also I know that the semester officially recommences on April 19th but is it true that exams don't actually start till April 26th?
craker
Anyone know when the exam timetable for this semester will be up? Just thinking ahead in terms of booking transport home and stuff. Also I know that the semester officially recommences on April 19th but is it true that exams don't actually start till April 26th?

Exam timetables will be published w/c March 8th here. Strictly speaking it's true that there will be no exams before April 26th. However, bear in mind that teachers may arrange extra classes before the exam diet begins, and that exams could be rearranged and brought forward to as early as 19/4. (I had an exam a couple of years ago which was brought forward quite a bit).
language speaking exams tend to be earlier than the published exam dates... if you don't do languages this isn't an issue, but if you are a linguist then it could well be something to consider!

i graduate on 1st july :biggrin: (hopefully!)
oxymoronic
i graduate on 1st july :biggrin: (hopefully!)

Are you planning your outfit yet? Please Please Please wear someone's national dress, a black dress is so passée.
Reply 286
I hate psychology 2 :frown:
artorscience?
Are you planning your outfit yet? Please Please Please wear someone's national dress, a black dress is so passée.

the national dress of what?? i could just make up my own country i guess... what are you planning on wearing then? hehe then i can steal it from you and wear it a year earlier! i do feel the black dress and sensible shoes are calling -- there is no way i'd wear heels as i'd be guarenteed to fall flat on my face in the middle of McEwan Hall.

but no, not planning outfit yet due to the fact i have to finish this degree thing first and actually like pass it and things before i can think about going to graduation. my lovely mother is not happy as i've told her i'm not going if i do badly... i really need to finish my essay.
oxymoronic
the national dress of what?? i could just make up my own country i guess...

Well quite - you're an anthropologist, what have you done you dissertation on? Wear something outlandish that represents that. Or make up the national garb of your home town, something colourful and involving a huge and inconvenient hat would be preferable, to block the view of other people and make a robe thoroughly difficult to wear.
artorscience?
Well quite - you're an anthropologist, what have you done you dissertation on? Wear something outlandish that represents that. Or make up the national garb of your home town, something colourful and involving a huge and inconvenient hat would be preferable, to block the view of other people and make a robe thoroughly difficult to wear.

so basically i'm going as a sheep then? cool! :smile:
oxymoronic
so basically i'm going as a sheep then? cool! :smile:

DO IT! Fake some internet shizzle as evidence and you're all set. Of course your supporters in should also dress in matching national garb to show off the pride you all have in your small regional ethnic background.
I still don't know my maths marks. :frown:

However, oxymoronic should for sure dress up as a sheep. That'd be epic. :biggrin:
Rainfaery

However, oxymoronic should for sure dress up as a sheep. That'd be epic. :biggrin:

when you see the graduation photos of a girl dressed as a sheep then you'll know its me :biggrin:

although they probs wouldn't let me graduate due the absence of being formal and not wearing appropriate clothing... you have to pay £50 just for the privledge of graduating!!! like, even if you don't go to graduation you still have to pay them money... rip off!!
oxymoronic
when you see the graduation photos of a girl dressed as a sheep then you'll know its me :biggrin:

although they probs wouldn't let me graduate due the absence of being formal and not wearing appropriate clothing... you have to pay £50 just for the privledge of graduating!!! like, even if you don't go to graduation you still have to pay them money... rip off!!

You have to *pay* to graduate?! That is crazy talk. Not cool. At all.

Did you end up getting your dissertation back? :smile:
Rainfaery
You have to *pay* to graduate?! That is crazy talk. Not cool. At all.

turns out its £40 rather than £50 so i kind of misquoted them... but even still!!

http://www.registry.ed.ac.uk/Graduations/GraduationRegistration/grf.html

"Students must pay a compulsory fee of £40 for registration with The General Council. Students cannot graduate if this payment is not made"

what if i don't wanna register with the general council? whoever they may be!

this on top of ensuring we pay the 10p fine to the library before we graduate... although i have now cleared my debts and do not plan to gain any more :biggrin:
Rainfaery
You have to *pay* to graduate?!

Consider yourself lucky; it used to cost £2000 to graduate!

Mind you, if you want unreasonable fees I've spent the best part of £70 this year to be a member of the Uppsala student union cos they make you join otherwise you can't sit exams.
nearlyheadlessian
Consider yourself lucky; it used to cost £2000 to graduate!

was that not just graduate endowment tax though? and only for the scots who hadn't paid anything for their degrees anyway... but then that got scrapped as its apparently unreasonable to ask people to pay £2000 for four years of study :rolleyes:
:biggrin: :biggrin: I just bought a cello.
I am tres excited. I also got 83 in Numerical Differential Equations! Thus far, two A2s! We should be getting back the rest of our marks tomorrow too, which will be good.

Got my other marks back. :biggrin: 92 in several variable calculus, and 84 in foundations of calculus. :biggrin: All A's for first semester!
Reply 298
Wow. Very impressive, congrats :smile: I'm at the nervous point in my final year of worrying about slipping down grade boundaries - I've always been a fairly solid 2:1, but it doesn't take much to change that. I really can't wait for uni to end now, but at the same time, I'm dreading the realities of finals and handing over my dissertation. Can I just pause life for a bit?
Feef
Wow. Very impressive, congrats :smile: I'm at the nervous point in my final year of worrying about slipping down grade boundaries - I've always been a fairly solid 2:1, but it doesn't take much to change that. I really can't wait for uni to end now, but at the same time, I'm dreading the realities of finals and handing over my dissertation. Can I just pause life for a bit?

I know exactly how you feel :frown:
Fourth year sucks so badly as you're spending your entire time stressing about next year/life and doing applications whilst also trying to finish your stupid degree and there just isn't enough time in the day to devote enough time to worrying about all of it which makes me panic even more! Part of me is desperate for the semester to end and exams to be over as I'm not sure how much longer I can go with my life being in the library and constantly thinking/getting upset about work and classifications, but at the same time its terrifying that its all going to be over soon and if we screw up now, then... :frown:

Whens your dissertation due? languages are fairly late aren't they? I already submitted mine and had the mark back.... it was a really really really fun day.... :rolleyes:

Quick Reply