The Student Room Group

Cambridge Class Lists 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Leviathan21
Oh god, here we go again. Must we go through this every year?

There is a reason why the University does not make class lists available online (the issue of the Reporter that contains them is expressly not put online, unlike all the other issues). It is to protect the privacy of students. And, yes, I know that this website is Raven-authenticated. But, putting it up online still gives it a level of publicity not intended by the University in making lists available at Senate House.

So, yes, it DOES make it more public than the lists currently are.

If the university makes an official complaint then I will take down the website. Of course all that will happen then is that people will post them publicly on TSR, or on an unprotected website, or exchange them via PM/Email regardless of whether the recipient is a Cambridge student, but that will not be my responsibility if they do that. Until the university decides not to publish the lists at Senate House, this is (as far as I can see) the best solution for everyone (both those who do and those who don't want the results available).

I see what you mean by it being more public, but it is only more public to Cambridge students, who are allowed to go to Senate House and read all the class lists should they wish. Having them online just makes it easier and removes the geographical constraint (if people go home before the results are put on the boards).

Original post by Leviathan21
I realise that I am not going to change any minds here since many of us have had this discussion over and over. But, with this time of year coming up again, I just wanted to register my disapproval of this practice of photographing every single class list and making it available online.

Fair enough.
Reply 21
Original post by alex_hk90
If the university makes an official complaint then I will take down the website. Of course all that will happen then is that people will post them publicly on TSR, or on an unprotected website, or exchange them via PM/Email regardless of whether the recipient is a Cambridge student, but that will not be my responsibility if they do that. Until the university decides not to publish the lists at Senate House, this is (as far as I can see) the best solution for everyone (both those who do and those who don't want the results available).

I see what you mean by it being more public, but it is only more public to Cambridge students, who are allowed to go to Senate House and read all the class lists should they wish. Having them online just makes it easier and removes the geographical constraint (if people go home before the results are put on the boards).

I agree with this. I think if the university really wanted to preserve students' rights to privacy, they would not publish the lists at Senate House in the first place, and they certainly wouldn't do what they did with my Part II list, which was published on the outside board of Senate House (as Senate House was closed for some reason) where it could be seen by all and sundry walking past.

Equally, as the university has chosen to continue publishing these lists, I don't see why they shouldn't be available to *all* students, whether they are living in Cambridge over the summer or not - I don't see why doing this should give you more of a right to see other people's class lists.
Reply 22
Original post by ukdragon37
I just want to point out that the Computer Science department does publish them online. In fact they have all the class lists for Computer Science going back to 2007 available for viewing, behind a Raven authentication wall.

And only to CompSci students, if I remember correctly.
Original post by Zhen Lin
And only to CompSci students, if I remember correctly.

True I think, although the principle is essentially the same.
Reply 24
Can I ask, how soon after you get told your results (i.e. on Camsis/via your DoS) do the results go up outside Senate House? Will you have a chance to request that your name be removed from the class list after you get your results, or is this something you should request before you get your results?
Original post by dd4483
Can I ask, how soon after you get told your results (i.e. on Camsis/via your DoS) do the results go up outside Senate House? Will you have a chance to request that your name be removed from the class list after you get your results, or is this something you should request before you get your results?

Usually the results go up on CamSiS in the morning and they will be up at Senate House in the afternoon. Hence they would have already been printed by then so if you want your name removed you should request this very early on. However I think you can't unless you demonstrate that you will suffer "significant mental distress" or something like that if your result made public.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by dd4483

It's something you should request as soon as possible (i.e. now), as there definitely won't be time for it to be done after you get your result but before they go up at Senate House.
Reply 27
Does anyone know how Part II Maths results are working this year? I seem to remember hearing that they are going to be available on CamSIS the day before, but I can't seem to find where I would have heard it.
Reply 28
Original post by harr
Does anyone know how Part II Maths results are working this year? I seem to remember hearing that they are going to be available on CamSIS the day before, but I can't seem to find where I would have heard it.

If you log on to CamSIS it should give you the date that they expect them to be available online, then you could compare this to the Senate House publication date.
Reply 29
If you log on to CamSIS it should give you the date that they expect them to be available online, then you could compare this to the Senate House publication date.
I don't know the Senate House publication date. Possibly it's the one given on zedliv's link, but it doesn't seem to specify.

Edit: Just remembered that the dates are normally listed at Senate House. I'll go to check. Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by harr
I don't know the Senate House publication date. Possibly it's the one given on zedliv's link, but it doesn't seem to specify.

Edit: Just remembered that the dates are normally listed at Senate House. I'll go to check. Thanks.

I already took note of them and put them on the website. Maths Part II is listed as 24/06/2011.
Reply 31
I already took note of them and put them on the website. Maths Part II is listed as 24/06/2011.
I noticed 20110613 but not 20110614... Thanks for pointing that out.

It looks as if the results won't be available online until after they're read out then, which is annoying. There's a good chance that I've messed up, and if I have I'd prefer to be the first to know.
Original post by harr
I noticed 20110613 but not 20110614... Thanks for pointing that out.

It looks as if the results won't be available online until after they're read out then, which is annoying. There's a good chance that I've messed up, and if I have I'd prefer to be the first to know.

Raoul, the results definitely come up online before being read out at the senate house. I seem to remember Dr Hunt saying at the garden party that the results will be published on CamSIS on Wednesday 22nd June in the morning, it just says the 24th June on CamSIS at the moment because it's basically just giving them a little leeway, a safety margin of sorts in case the results come out a little bit late. But we def find out on camsis first before senate house, whenever that may be.
Reply 33
Original post by DaveSimpson
Raoul, the results definitely come up online before being read out at the senate house. I seem to remember Dr Hunt saying at the garden party that the results will be published on CamSIS on Wednesday 22nd June in the morning, it just says the 24th June on CamSIS at the moment because it's basically just giving them a little leeway, a safety margin of sorts in case the results come out a little bit late. But we def find out on camsis first before senate house, whenever that may be.
PRSOM

Thanks. That's much more like I was hoping.
Reply 34
Original post by DaveSimpson

I've also heard second-hand that the Magdalene DoS (and examiner) said that results would be read out on Thursday, possibly at Great St Mary's. But that sounds very bizarre.

At any rate, the facts are:
1. The official CamSIS and Senate House publication dates are both Friday.
2. The Part II examiners' final meeting is on Monday.
3. The reading of the class lists has been on Thursday at Senate House for at least the last two years.
4. However, there is an honorary degree ceremony on Thursday at Senate House this year.

So I'd say we should know our results some time between Tuesday and Thursday.
Reply 35
I went to Senate House earlier today, but it was so sunny I could hardly read the lists, let alone take photos with my below-average phone camera.
Reply 36
Big update just now - thanks to iamb again. :smile:
Reply 37
Could I please request NST Part II Neuroscience? They have been out since the 17th. Thanks. x
Reply 38
Should be up later, just sent it to alex_hk90!
Reply 39

Original post by iamb
Should be up later, just sent it to alex_hk90!

Thank you very much. :smile:

Quick Reply