The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I applied for Physics with Planetary Space Science (Nearly identical to the Astrophysics course) and I've had an offer of BBC :-)
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 61
I want to apply for the Scenography course, but Im worried about accommodation.
Ive lived on my own since I was 15 and would hate if there was even the slightest chance I would have to bunk with someone. It would definitely mean I wouldnt come and study there at all.

Is it really that super hard to find privat accommodation? Would it be possible to move in a flat-share in your first year as I would rather not live in halls at all.
Do Aber have a lot of mature students living in halls?

I think Id be better of in a big city where accommodation will be easier to find, which is a pity seeing as Aber looks really good on paper.
Reply 62
I have applied to study Astrophysics.
Aberystwyth gave me an offer within 6 days!!! :biggrin:
AB in maths and physics & 300 UCAS points :smile:

I think it's definitely worth the 9k fees as it's such a beautiful place! Student life there is supposed to fantastic as well :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by melted_welly_face

Original post by melted_welly_face
I'm applying for astro physics...like a boss...no joke...not gonna lie...d in physics, c in maths, i am well in.

Are you for real?!?
Had two unconditionals - 'French, Spanish and Italian' and 'French and Spanish'. Definitely going there I think! :smile:
x
Got an offer to study History, 300 points :smile:
Reply 66
Got an offer to study "gwleidyddiaeth a Hanes" or politics and history to the rest of you, 300 points. Dont think i'll take up the offer though to be honest, although they do have good scholarships
Reply 67
Original post by Plutonium
I have applied to study Astrophysics.
Aberystwyth gave me an offer within 6 days!!! :biggrin:
AB in maths and physics & 300 UCAS points :smile:

I think it's definitely worth the 9k fees as it's such a beautiful place! Student life there is supposed to fantastic as well :smile:

My course is pretty much identical to the astrophysics course (I'm doing the planetary and space science course) and it's supposed to be the same requirements so why is yours so much higher than mine? My offer is BCC
Reply 68
When is the deadline to send off applications?
People have sent theirs off and got offers already :|
Is it like first come first served kind of thing?
Reply 69
Original post by mia_x

Kind of, unis just say they'll consider all applications before January 15th to cover themselves
Reply 70
Original post by mia_x

January 15th. I sent mine late november and early december and I got an offer about 10 days later. I suppose there is a slight advantage to sending off early but I think you'll be fine.
Reply 71
Original post by Jippet

Original post by Jippet
My course is pretty much identical to the astrophysics course (I'm doing the planetary and space science course) and it's supposed to be the same requirements so why is yours so much higher than mine? My offer is BCC

That's what I was thinking!!! What are your predicted grades?
Reply 72
Original post by Plutonium
That's what I was thinking!!! What are your predicted grades?

Predicted AAA. I wasn't surprised by the offer because it's just what they said is the standard offer. What are you predicted?
Reply 73
Original post by Jippet

Original post by Jippet
Predicted AAA. I wasn't surprised by the offer because it's just what they said is the standard offer. What are you predicted?

Lucky you! I've been predicted A*AB :smile: so, not too bad :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by SiobhanC
January 15th. I sent mine late november and early december and I got an offer about 10 days later. I suppose there is a slight advantage to sending off early but I think you'll be fine.

Thanks. Thats okay then. I don't think mine will be sent off till the end off this month.

Do you have any idea of what maths is like there?
Aberystwth is fantastic! Went there for an open day and I was so impressed! I had always preferred the sound of a city university, however, I fell in love with the community feel and friendliness of the place. Although Cardiff is my first choice, I definitely won't be disappointed if I come to Aber - the English department was so inspiring and the course could easily suit anybody. I loved the 'just pop into my office for a chat and a cuppa tea' attitude :smile:. On top of this friendliness, they get the grades!! Well over half of the students last year graduated with a 2:1 or above. Looks a great place to study!
Original post by mia_x

Original post by mia_x

Don't worry :smile:

Its not first come first served - basically, universities can make a very very good guess at the sorts of applicants they will have applying throughout the cycle in terms of their grades, PS etc purely because they do this each year. When an application comes in its easy for them to say whether this person is above average, average or below average in comparison to the people that they normally give out offers to each year. With the people who are above average then they might send out an offer straight away but then keep the people who are average candidates on a pile for longer so they can compare these applicants to others that come in a bit later then perhaps send out a bulk of offers once a month to these candidates. With below average applicants on the other hand, they might get an early rejection if the university decides that this person does not meet the entry requirements/what they're looking for and never will do.

As long as you apply before 15th January your application is equally as likely to get an offer regardless of when you apply. Universities aren't stupid - they spend their lives playing with stats and know exactly the sort of candidate they normally give out offers to in relation to the sort of person they normally reject, so they can do that bit early on without needing to see all of the applications. Some universities do wait until January if they are highly competitive or if in previous years they've accepted too many students and now they're worried about doing this again but it seems like Aber make offers throughout the cycle.
Original post by Philemon
I want to apply for the Scenography course, but Im worried about accommodation.
Ive lived on my own since I was 15 and would hate if there was even the slightest chance I would have to bunk with someone. It would definitely mean I wouldnt come and study there at all.

It is definitely something to think over. There are no guarantees that you won't be put into a bunk room.

Is it really that super hard to find privat accommodation? Would it be possible to move in a flat-share in your first year as I would rather not live in halls at all.
Do Aber have a lot of mature students living in halls?a

I was a mature student in the halls for year 2009/10... there were a few others but overall it is quite rare to find anyone above the age of 21 living in the halls.... though there were people aged between 18 to 42 for the year I was living there as I was curious whether I was the oldest one in the halls :tongue: Turns out I wasn't even close, but I never knew who that elusive 42 year old was.

Flatshares on your first year is not impossible, where you are a mature student especially if you are above 23 or 24 you may even gain an advantage with some landlords... many private landlords won't rent their properties to students but would make an exception where the person is an older age or international student.

But as a whole it is quite expensive and hard to find a flat in Aber especially one that is walking distance to the campus.

Having said that I'm guessing you are from Denmark? There are quite a few students from Nordic countries that are currently studying in Aber, try and see if you could network with them and maybe you could convince one of them to be on the lookout for you for a flat.... alternatively and probably the best thing to do is to take a trip to Aber yourself and speak to some real estate agents as well as the accommodation office on what they could offer.

I think Id be better of in a big city where accommodation will be easier to find, which is a pity seeing as Aber looks really good on paper.

In bigger cities in UK accommodation isn't as big a problem as it is in Aber the question is how big your bank account could afford :biggrin:

Anyway as a former mature student at Aber and also at a UK university I'll advise you against staying in the halls.... especially if you aren't used to living in similar arrangements prior to this.
I'm applying for Zoology, hopefully will have my UCAS sent off Friday:smile:
Reply 79
I sent my application off today. I applied for International Politics and International Politics/International history.

Quick Reply