The Student Room Group

Starting degree aged 47-48 ....is it worth it ?

Hello All

I am 47 years old and considering either taking an Open University LLB Law Degree or Access to Higher Education course with a view to taking a university degree in Engineering or Law in 2013. The reason for me doing this is I was a university drop out in the 80s and now regret doing this deeply. My A level results then would not get me into University straight away now. Given that I would graduate when I was 52 or 53 am I wasting my time using the qualification I gain for a complete career change ?

I have spent many years working in General Administration and Purchasing and would like one last chance to be what I feel I should have been. All Opinions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by easty46

Original post by easty46
Hello All

I am 47 years old and considering either taking an Open University LLB Law Degree or Access to Higher Education course with a view to taking a university degree in Engineering or Law in 2013. The reason for me doing this is I was a university drop out in the 80s and now regret doing this deeply. My A level results then would not get me into University straight away now. Given that I would graduate when I was 52 or 53 am I wasting my time using the qualification I gain for a complete career change ?

I have spent many years working in General Administration and Purchasing and would like one last chance to be what I feel I should have been. All Opinions would be much appreciated.

There are people over 40 on my course and over 50 on my friend's so you're not the only one who has decided to pursue a degree later in life. I like to think that it's never too late to pursue your dreams. The only thing worse than regretting something you've done is regretting something you never had the courage to do. I say go for it :smile:
Reply 2
If it's something you truly want to do and you won't regret it, it's always worth it.
Reply 3
Plus after you graduate you will still have over 15 years of work left!
Reply 4
You never stop learning till you die.
Reply 5
Thanks for all the comments so far. I guess my main concern is will I be too old to start a new career in law or engineering when I'm 52-53 ? Am I going to find it impossible to find a job
Reply 6
do it!

you dont know tilll you try :smile: :smile:
Reply 7
Well if you graduate at 54 you still have what, 13 working years before the standard retirement age (don't quote me on this, not sure of the exact age)............. so plenty of time to use whatever skills you have gained.

However, I would say if you are doing the degree purely for financial gain then it is probably a waste of time at your age, but to me it sounds like you have other good reasons and motivation(personal development, fulfilling a dream and proving something to yourself), so I would say go for it!

I'm a little confused as to whether you are trying to get into Law or Engineering? But you would need to make a decision on that one prior to starting the Access course, because generally you would be looking at two different types of Access course. (Access to Law or Humanities pathway is good for Law, but for Engineering you need one with plenty of maths and science content).
Reply 8
Hi Easty,

How are you? As a graduate myself and someone who has been in a position the very first thing I would ask you before you embark on making a career change such as this is

1) Why do you feel you should have been a Lawyer or Engineer?
2) Have you had any experience working in a law firm or engineering firm that can settles it in your mind that this is the path you should have taken?

Jia
Reply 9
Hi Jia

The reason for doing the engineering is I dropped out of a mechanical engineering degree in the 80s....always wished I hadn't. The reason for Law is it has always interested me and would do through the Open University if I decided to go down this route.

Regards

Easty :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Evangelica
There are people over 40 on my course and over 50 on my friend's so you're not the only one who has decided to pursue a degree later in life. I like to think that it's never too late to pursue your dreams. The only thing worse than regretting something you've done is regretting something you never had the courage to do. I say go for it :smile:

This.

That said, I have seen a lot of posts about how difficult it is to break into law - there appears to be an oversupply of law graduates. With engineering, you are not confined to "pure" engineering in terms of jobs. So if it's a choice between those I would go for the latter.
Reply 11
Original post by easty46
Hello All

I started an LLB at age 50, full time. If you want to PM me with specific questions I'll answer them as best I can rather than just ramble on here.
Original post by easty46
Thanks for all the comments so far. I guess my main concern is will I be too old to start a new career in law or engineering when I'm 52-53 ? Am I going to find it impossible to find a job

Go for it, you have only one life, got to do what you want to do.
We will both be 49 when we start in September 2012. But we are not motivated by a career change.
While I thoroughly support the idea of mature students, and always believe in doing something you are actually interested in, I just thought I should say that if you want to know about career prospects in those fields here may not be the best place to ask because the majority of people here will be younger and, while they might have experienced the difficulty of finding a job as a graduate, few will have experienced the difficulties that can present when you try to find a job as a much older graduate.
When competition is tough, they're going to look for people who they can hopefully retain for a long time and develop in the company. And people with plenty of experience in the field.
My dad was made unemployed a few years back and he is now 58. He has a reputable degree from the OU and experience which makes him well qualified for the types of jobs he applied for (laboratory technicians in schools, factories etc) but he has only ever since had sporadic work and he believes that his age is a factor in this.
Now of course, I'm not clued up on law/engineering. Maybe if you already have some experience in these fields they would welcome you with open arms. I just, y'know, thought I'd mention it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Go for it! If you don't, you'll continue to wonder what it would be like.

Besides, as long as you try, it is possible.

Don't be discouraged :smile:
47?

You should meet this girl :sexface:
Definitely think it's worth it, go for it man! Wish all the best for yous. :smile:
Reply 18
There were people on my course who were in their 60's; and my sociology teacher didn't graduate until in her 50's and went straight into teaching. There's no reason why a degree won't be beneficial :smile:

Just bear in mind that you might not fall straight into a job at the end of it.
Reply 19
I didn't start my BA until I was 53 and now I am studying for an MA. But I'm not looking for a job - I do it because I enjoy it. Enjoyment is really the important thing here - don't do something you will hate on the basis that it might improve your life later. Enjoy it for what it is, improve your mind and hope the rest will follow. http://studentat60.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-08-11T12:38:00%2B01:00&max-results=7

Latest

Trending

Trending