The Student Room Group

Studying medicine in Europe

Hi

I am considering to study medicine in Europe if I don't get in here this year.

Has anyone on here applied abroad or considering to apply this year? What are the entrance criteria for them? Does anyone know how to apply and which is the best website to apply through... I've come accross several?

Any recommendations on which universities are good and in whichg European country?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't bother, if it's your first time applying in the UK just give it another shot next year if you don't get in.

Stay positive :smile: it's not over til the fat lady sings/admissions tutor says no.

But yeah to answer your question, I know people who've gone to Prague to study so it's definitely an option.
Reply 2
Original post by Sherbet
I wouldn't bother, if it's your first time applying in the UK just give it another shot next year if you don't get in.

Stay positive :smile: it's not over til the fat lady sings/admissions tutor says no.

But yeah to answer your question, I know people who've gone to Prague to study so it's definitely an option.

Thanks, It's my second time applying and also a resit applicant so my choices are very limited if I apply again next year.
Would you be able to put me in contact with them or ask them about the application process and course structure please? I can send you my email in a PM if you like. Thanks

PS weldone on your interviews and offer!
Reply 3
You should ne aware that it always requires a very good proficiency in the specific country's language! You will find very few universities offering medicine in English.
Would your parents be willing to let you move far way just to study medicine. I had offers to study medicine abroad(Just applied to see if I would get in), but my parents would never let me move that far away. Are your parents comfortable with the idea of letting you move away.
Reply 5
Original post by Sir Fox
You should ne aware that it always requires a very good proficiency in the specific country's language! You will find very few universities offering medicine in English.

I'm only looking at unis that offer the course in English and there seems to be quite a few. I have been told I'll need to learn the native language but that is taught at uni during the first few years.
Reply 6
Original post by firestar101
Would your parents be willing to let you move far way just to study medicine. I had offers to study medicine abroad(Just applied to see if I would get in), but my parents would never let me move that far away. Are your parents comfortable with the idea of letting you move away.

I see whats your saying, but yes they're ok with me going away. Ideally would would be best if I get in here but if not, they're letting me. So what are you doing now - did you reapply here this year or did you take another course?

Where did you apply and who did you apply through? Which university would you recommend and hats the application process like? Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by rayore
I know of University of Debrecen in Hungary. I've got friends there and they really love it and are happy.

Thanks, do you know much about the entrance criteria/ application process or who they applied through? I've found atleast 3 sites and have no idea which is the best.
Is there any chance I can contact one of them to ask about the structure if the course and what it's like living out there and the language issue? I can PM my email or you can PM me their contact details if they're happy to talk to me?
Thanks
Reply 8
University Of Malta is a good choice, you will not have to learn Maltese as English is an official language. The requirements are 3 B's in Biology, Chemistry and another ALevel like Maths or Physics. Here a link for the requirements http://www.um.edu.mt/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/129627/Scr12_ver5July11.pdf
And here's where you can apply https://esims.um.edu.mt/esims/ipp/appindex.html
hope that helps.
Reply 9
Original post by abdiz12
University Of Malta is a good choice, you will not have to learn Maltese as English is an official language. The requirements are 3 B's in Biology, Chemistry and another ALevel like Maths or Physics. Here a link for the requirements http://www.um.edu.mt/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/129627/Scr12_ver5July11.pdf
And here's where you can apply https://esims.um.edu.mt/esims/ipp/appindex.html
hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. Did you apply there/ know someone who is studying there?
Reply 10
Original post by Sir Fox

Not true. Several medical schools in Czech Republic, Romania, Poland etc. offer Medicine in English.
Reply 11
Original post by Iz08
Not true. Several medical schools in Czech Republic, Romania, Poland etc. offer Medicine in English.

I said that there are few, if you take all the medical schools in Europe and count the ones you mentioned, that is a small fraction. Also, the OP should think about whether he wants to study in Romania, for example. Not that I have prejudices, but it is not for everyone. Still, you are right, there is a chance.
Reply 12
make sure that if you take a med degree in europe that it would qualify you to work in your home country after if thats what you want to do and what your prospects would be like with regards to training compared to those who have done the degree back home.
Reply 13
Original post by arbaaz
make sure that if you take a med degree in europe that it would qualify you to work in your home country after if thats what you want to do and what your prospects would be like with regards to training compared to those who have done the degree back home.

I'll come back here for training. As long as the degree I get is recognised in the country that issues it, it is recognised in the UK as its in the EU.
Reply 14
Original post by Sir Fox
I said that there are few, if you take all the medical schools in Europe and count the ones you mentioned, that is a small fraction. Also, the OP should think about whether he wants to study in Romania, for example. Not that I have prejudices, but it is not for everyone. Still, you are right, there is a chance.

Do you know much about Romania? Is there something in particular that puts people off? Would appreciate any info. Thanks
Reply 15
Original post by Aysha92
Do you know much about Romania? Is there something in particular that puts people off? Would appreciate any info. Thanks

No, not really :biggrin: A friend studies medicine at Semmelweis University in Budapest, Hungary at the moment, and finds it quite okay, it is a very old an renowned university offering courses in Hungarian, English and German. Yet, it is quite some kind of harbour for people who got rejected in Germany, since it is one of very few universities abroad offering medicine in German.

I actually expressed doubts since Eastern Europe is less developed and well-off overall then Western Europe and it will probably (though not necessarily) have consequences for the education over there.

Here you have a guide to studying medicine in Romania, but I have not read it and do not know whether it is biased or neutral.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Sir Fox
No, not really :biggrin: A friend studies medicine at Semmelweis University in Budapest, Hungary at the moment, and finds it quite okay, it is a very old an renowned university offering courses in Hungarian, English and German. Yet, it is quite some kind of harbour for people who got rejected in Germany, since it is one of very few universities abroad offering medicine in German.

I actually expressed doubts since Eastern Europe is less developed and well-off overall then Western Europe and it will probably (though not necessarily) have consequences for the education over there.

Here you have a guide to studying medicine in Romania, but I have not read it and do not know whether it is biased or neutral.

Yes Hungary (and Czech) seem popular options. Oh I see what you mean now. Thanks for the link too.
Original post by Aysha92
Hi

I am considering to study medicine in Europe if I don't get in here this year.

Has anyone on here applied abroad or considering to apply this year? What are the entrance criteria for them? Does anyone know how to apply and which is the best website to apply through... I've come accross several?

Any recommendations on which universities are good and in whichg European country?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

With regard to studying med in germany. Afaik you have to know german or have basic knowledge of german to be considered.
This is the website (its in german :P): www.hochschulstart.de
Reply 18
Original post by the_decider
With regard to studying med in germany. Afaik you have to know german or have basic knowledge of german to be considered.
This is the website (its in german :P): www.hochschulstart.de

I did GCSE German ... forgotten half the stuff now though. I'll have a look but doubt I'll understand it! Thanks though
hey, ive applied to study medicine in italy, romania and bulgaria.
they teach in english and their degrees are accepted but the general medical council.
i applied using an online service call eunicas.
hope this helps!
good luck :smile: