The Student Room Group

Enter Key not working

My enter key is working once my computer is on, but in windows recovery it doesn't work, nor do the arrow keys. I have a metropolitan police virus which I have googled and found out you need to solve it in safe mode, but I can't select that option. What can I do?
Hi,

Shutdown windows normally.

When you restart the system start tapping the F8 button before Windows starts loading and this should pull up a boot menu. Then choose the Safe Mode option.

Make sure you have everything to hand before you enter safe mode as you will not have access to the internet.

If you trying manual removal of the virus ensure you must take great care in editing your registry files or you may cause Windows to become unusable. You would then need to reinstall Windows and all your system from scratch.

This virus is very nasty but it is easy to prevent this type of infection by both safe surfing and layering your security protection.

Please visit Wilders Security forums on advice on how to protect your system.
(edited 12 years ago)
Or in your original post did you mean that you can get to the boot menu screen but are unable to access the safe mode option as the enter and return keys are not working correctly??

If so, you will need to enter the System Configuration Utility and on the BOOT.INI tab check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and restart your computer when prompted.

What OS and service pack are you using btw?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by los lobos marinos
Hi,

Shutdown windows normally.

When you restart the system start tapping the F8 button before Windows starts loading and this should pull up a boot menu. Then choose the Safe Mode option.

Make sure you have everything to hand before you enter safe mode as you will not have access to the internet.

If you trying manual removal of the virus ensure you must take great care in editing your registry files or you may cause Windows to become unusable. You would then need to reinstall Windows and all your system from scratch.

This virus is very nasty but it is easy to prevent this type of infection by both safe surfing and layering your security protection.

Please visit Wilders Security forums on advice on how to protect your system.

Impressed ctrl alt del after windows had reserved and shut it down. I started pressing f8 repeatedly until windows had booted up, but I got to safe mode option and the virus jut reappeared.

When I am on the ctrl alt del screen it allows me to log out and in again. Doing this gives me a few seconds of time where the virus disappears allowing me use the computer for the few seconds before the virus reppears again. I'm wondering if this is helpful.
Reply 4
Or in your original post did you mean that you can get to the boot options screen but are unable to access the boot menu??

If so, you will need to enter the System Configuration Utility and on the BOOT.INI tab check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and restart your computer when prompted.

What OS and service pack are you using btw?

What is OS? I am on windows 7 if thats what you mean. :smile:

When I start my computer it gives me a screen where I can select boot menu by using f11. I can press f11 and it takes me to a blue window with two options where I can select by arrow keys and to enter. The other option is f2 which opens up set up which is a larger screen with more options.

It then takes me to windows error recovery screen where by buttons are disabled despite working seconds previous. My computer then comes up with
the virus.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JaggySnake95
Impressed ctrl alt del after windows had reserved and shut it down. I started pressing f8 repeatedly until windows had booted up, but I got to safe mode option and the virus jut reappeared.

When I am on the ctrl alt del screen it allows me to log out and in again. Doing this gives me a few seconds of time where the virus disappears allowing me use the computer for the few seconds before the virus reppears again. I'm wondering if this is helpful.
I don't understand what you just typed.

You shouldn't be logging off and logging back in. You need to shut down via the start button and shutdown option. Power down the machine so it is switched off.

Then restart the machine and follow instructions in post #2. If Windows is starting without you seeing a boot menu then you are tapping F8 to late. Try again but start tapping the F8 button earlier.

If it is repeatedly not working and you cannot reach safe mode then please look at post #3 above.

You will know you are at safe mode as the desktop will have safe mode written on each corner of the screen and the graphics will be basic low resolution.

What Os and service pack are you on pls?
Holy cow, we keep posting at the same time lol :biggrin:

Confusing.
Reply 7
Holy cow, we keep posting at the same time lol :biggrin:

Confusing.

Don't worry I got it now. I used the boot menu to sort something out then the next time it loaded it set up a system restore and it's fine now.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
What is OS? I am on windows 7 if thats what you mean. :smile:

When I start my computer it gives me a screen where I can select boot menu by using f11. I can press f11 and it takes me to a blue window with two options where I can select by arrow keys and to enter. The other option is f2 which opens up set up which is a larger screen with more options.

It then takes me to windows error recovery screen where by buttons are disabled despite working seconds previous. My computer then comes up with
the virus.
Okay if F8 is not working for you then try this.

I'm running several operating systems (OS) here on different machines and get confused. So I've just booted Windows 7 into safe mode to confirm. Ignore anything else I posted before. Follow instructions below (I just tested and works with Win 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)):

Open the run dialog box
type "msconfig" and press enter (or click OK)
Click on the Boot tab
Tick the box for "Safe boot" in the boot options and ensure the "minimal" dialogue button is selected
Click "Apply" and then click "OK" with your mouse
A new dialogue appears asking if you want to restart, so click the "Restart" button
Your pc should now reboot into safe mode
(edited 12 years ago)
Don't believe it. did it again. While I'm typing you're posting....HA
Reply 10
My enter key is working once my computer is on, but in windows recovery it doesn't work, nor do the arrow keys. I have a metropolitan police virus which I have googled and found out you need to solve it in safe mode, but I can't select that option. What can I do?

Wait... what?

EDIT: derp - I have heard of this actually. Nasty piece of ransomware.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending