The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rmhumphries
Two new friends, aye :tongue: Walked them home, like the honourable gentleman I am xD

Can impress Prof Adams with my integration with people in Nottingham.

Got letter for psychologist today that she sent to Adams, will show you when your next in Notts

A true gent. :h:

Indeed, and that is how you win at life.

I do like reading through other people's medical notes. :ninja: Will look forward to it.
Original post by avhhs
Make that the night before with me :biggrin:. So nothing to be embarrassed about.

:biggrin: I think nights just give you a chasms chance to have a rest. But sometimes you find that you don't have enough time :tongue:.

I dunno what happened today. Had just been feeling happy for some reason. It's still continuing :smile:. I'm just imagining conversations between me and my best friend, or thinking about my imaginary friends :colondollar:.

Don't worry about that! :smile: :hugs:

haha yes but I should have started my dissertation more in advance :tongue:

Well glad thinking about your friend made you happy hun, and I hope that your being happy has continued to this morning :smile:

I constantly worry about rambling though I spend my life doing it :tongue: but I am so tired this morning, and actually got some sleep last night .... grrrr it is just annoying now can't concentrate when this exhausted constantly!

You alright then? :hugs:
Reply 6222
Original post by superwolf

Mr Quetiapine is not a friendly man. :no: However if you like I could introduce you to Mr Gin and Juice, who I find to be rather more amiable.

Mr and Mrs Psychiatrist have also warned me away from the alkeyholes too :frown:

I hope that you'll submit this young man for approval by the Society before engaging in any untoward activities with him.

:colone:
Feel a bit better this morning, head massively hurts though which is to be expected. No one's in the house so going to spend a day being lazy and trying to cheer up even more. All my friends are going to watch the Hunger Games later but **** that.

:console: Sorry to hear that. Still, you were probably too awesome for him anyway. :cool:

Look after yourself, and look on the bright side - now that you're single, you're free to come chasing after me. :tongue:

Thank you, and haha thanks :hugs:

I don't really see the point right now, but yeah I'll try to look after myself. And haha you haven't even met me yet :tongue: Would love to though :teehee:

Hope you're okay x
I might have to borrow that one on procrastination off of you... :colondollar:

I'll probably tidy my room or work to avoid reading it. I am a die hard procrastinator. I am Emperor of the Procrastinators and all shall kneel before my almight procrastinating prowess!
Original post by Aemiliana
I'll probably tidy my room or work to avoid reading it. I am a die hard procrastinator. I am Emperor of the Procrastinators and all shall kneel before my almight procrastinating prowess!

I reckon I could rival your procrastination powers.

Got to challenge a friend to the game of drink first though.
Original post by Alofleicester
I reckon I could rival your procrastination powers.

Got to challenge a friend to the game of drink first though.

Yeah, I've got to watch 90210, but we'll get around to it...

Oh, that reminds me. I need to get round to watching the new season of South Park as well, but yeah, we'll have a procrastination-off at some point.

I love 90210!
Original post by Alofleicester
Oh, that reminds me. I need to get round to watching the new season of South Park as well, but yeah, we'll have a procrastination-off at some point.

Yeah, sure... We'll do it eventually.

Original post by ViceVersa
I love 90210!

Same. I don't actually have to watch it because I'm all up to date, but re-watching it wouldn't hurt...
[QUOTE=superwolf;36931130
On Depression Society Island duvet-huddling will be an Olympic sport.

Spoiler

Nothing I do is ever good enough. In my midterms I got a B, B-, C and an F (really upset about that, completely cocked up the stats exam) and whilst I know that the Bs are good - especially as the B is worth about 45% of that module - they're not enough. Not good enough. Not perfect. Mind you, I think if I got A*s I still wouldn't be happy :/ My friend who I go to lectures with always gets above an A but she works so so hard she deserves it, Idk. I don't deserve those Bs, I've been to about four lectures this semester :/ Then at the same time I think if I did go to lectures etc. I could get those grades. But it's not motivation enough....

Spoiler

In not so good news, after almost a year of being stable my sister thinks she might be starting another psychotic episode. I really wish I could help, but I have no idea how.

Spoiler

Recently I've been rethinking my whole life.

I read this BBC article about how Buddhist monks were found to be the happiest people in the world. Scientists did brain scans measuring things like serotonin and they found that Buddhist monks were significantly happier than other people.

That got me reading a few Buddhist books and I really like them. Buddhists abstain from sex, they abstain from acquiring material possessions, they don't get married and they don't have kids. So why on earth do we as a society go on to do the exact opposite to what they do ? Spending years at university doing a degree I don't even like just so I can get money to buy things I don't need. Putting up with relationships that are nothing but spending time trying to guess what the other person is thinking and lets face it statistics show it will all end up screwing up.

I don't want to be in a relationship anymore. Me and my gf are happy but every time I see her talk to a guy it annoys me. Even though I trust her I can't really trust her. People let you down its all they do.

I want some time to myself to find clarity and a sort of calmness about my mind that I've been reading about. The problem is what if my depression is causing all this ? Then I dump my gf and drop out of school and then a year later realised i've messed up. I actually really believe in this though. Part of me just wants to go and become a monk and live peacefully somewhere without having to worry about being rich and handsome for society. Putting up with relationships with friends and partners that lets face it are never as perfect as you see on t.v.
Original post by Anonymous
Recently I've been rethinking my whole life.

I read this BBC article about how Buddhist monks were found to be the happiest people in the world. Scientists did brain scans measuring things like serotonin and they found that Buddhist monks were significantly happier than other people.

That got me reading a few Buddhist books and I really like them. Buddhists abstain from sex, they abstain from acquiring material possessions, they don't get married and they don't have kids. So why on earth do we as a society go on to do the exact opposite to what they do ? Spending years at university doing a degree I don't even like just so I can get money to buy things I don't need. Putting up with relationships that are nothing but spending time trying to guess what the other person is thinking and lets face it statistics show it will all end up screwing up.

I don't want to be in a relationship anymore. Me and my gf are happy but every time I see her talk to a guy it annoys me. Even though I trust her I can't really trust her. People let you down its all they do.

I want some time to myself to find clarity and a sort of calmness about my mind that I've been reading about. The problem is what if my depression is causing all this ? Then I dump my gf and drop out of school and then a year later realised i've messed up. I actually really believe in this though. Part of me just wants to go and become a monk and live peacefully somewhere without having to worry about being rich and handsome for society. Putting up with relationships with friends and partners that lets face it are never as perfect as you see on t.v.

I know a married, well-off, degree-educated Buddhist with two kids. The monks might abstain from all that but it doesn't mean that you can't finish your degree and stay with your girlfriend if there are no issues.

A top tip many friends who've been through depression always say: never make important decision when you're depressed.
I know a married, well-off, degree-educated Buddhist with two kids. The monks might abstain from all that but it doesn't mean that you can't finish your degree and stay with your girlfriend if there are no issues.

A top tip many friends who've been through depression always say: never make important decisions when you're depressed.

I need to get that tattoo'd onto my forehead or something...

A top tip many friends who've been through depression always say: never make important decision when you're depressed.

The person you know is irrelevant to what I'm saying as the people who were part of the brain scan study were Buddhist monks which means they do abstain.

It's not hard to call yourself X. There was this girl at my school that used to sleep around and got pregnant at 15 yet in every R.S. lesson would talk about how she was an eternally devoted catholic. Well in my opinion she wasn't.

I'm talking about becoming a devout Buddhist monk. The whole nine yards. I've always felt this way about relationships. I get jealous easily and hate the whole internal fragility of relationships. I like the company but being in a relationship means my mind is constantly trying to work out what the other person is doing and thinking. I hate that and I hated it before I was depressed.

You're right though I'm obviously not going to drop out and become a Buddhist until my head is sorted. Saying that though my time at university may be coming to an end because I messed up my exams in a major way.
Reply 6236
Original post by Phoenix07
haha yes but I should have started my dissertation more in advance :tongue:

Well glad thinking about your friend made you happy hun, and I hope that your being happy has continued to this morning :smile:

I constantly worry about rambling though I spend my life doing it :tongue: but I am so tired this morning, and actually got some sleep last night .... grrrr it is just annoying now can't concentrate when this exhausted constantly!

You alright then? :hugs:

Likewise, I should have done my ICT earlier. Deadline is today, and still got quite a bit.

Yeah we had a lot of fun together. She looked so good :love:. We are going to be staying after school to do more work.

:console: At least you managed to get some sleep :smile:

I can feel my mood starting to drop. I am in a boring lesson and also hungry. I still got a lot to do after school, so its important that my mood doesn't drop.

:hugs:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6237
Had a good few weeks :h:

But how long will it last?
Original post by Anonymous
The person you know is irrelevant to what I'm saying as the people who were part of the brain scan study were Buddhist monks which means they do abstain.

It's not hard to call yourself X. There was this girl at my school that used to sleep around and got pregnant at 15 yet in every R.S. lesson would talk about how she was an eternally devoted catholic. Well in my opinion she wasn't.

I'm talking about becoming a devout Buddhist monk. The whole nine yards. I've always felt this way about relationships. I get jealous easily and hate the whole internal fragility of relationships. I like the company but being in a relationship means my mind is constantly trying to work out what the other person is doing and thinking. I hate that and I hated it before I was depressed.

You're right though I'm obviously not going to drop out and become a Buddhist until my head is sorted. Saying that though my time at university may be coming to an end because I messed up my exams in a major way.

If you want to become a monk then there's no issue. If you want to become a monk solely because you think it will cure your depression, then I'd personally say that that's a bit extreme. Sure that life might bring you happiness but you'd have to want it for more than just that to get that happiness IMO.

Just don't make any decisions while you feel like this. If I did that I'd be in a onesie, watching Jezza Kyle all day. :colondollar: But it's not great to make life-changing decisions when we feel like this.

I like to stick with tradition and go for ones involving virgins, but others on here take a more modern approach. If in doubt, consult with your local witchdoctor.

I was thinking more down the line of rituals such as these, http://youtu.be/32PBZ870ymg

They do look quite effective, what is your input?

Latest