The Student Room Group

A levels VS BTEC (in this thread as people going uni more likely to know)

Are A levels better than BTEC. I'm doing all this hard work revising all the time with a levels my friend does BTEC and is always out. If this is the case than i would of thought A levels would have more of an advantage but this doesnt seem to be the case.
So what i am actually trying to ask: What are the advantages to doing A level than BTEC

To be specific to me:In year 1 and will likely to be doing business management. My friend is in year 2 and has got into uni to do bussiness management
Reply 1
I think A-Levels would be seen as more academic to some universities, plus you have the oppurtunity to do a diverse range of subjects.
Reply 2
Depends on uni however I did AS Levels and BTEC and I much preferred the BTEC but that's possibly because it was in my subject area whereas my AS Levels were quite irrelevant to me.

I also loved not having exams which I now have to do at uni. Boo! :frown:
Reply 3
VCE A Levels, Applied A Levels, GNVQs and/or BTECs are not an ideal preparation for most Cambridge courses, where the emphasis is more academic than vocational.

Quoted from http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/requirements/#vce

So if you're aiming for Cambridge, you have a better chance.
Reply 4
Most top universities do favour A-levels over BTECs. If you do a BTEC you are committed to doing one subject area at university, but if you do A-Levels, you have the choice of 2 or 3 different subject areas, depending on your a level subjects.
Reply 5
Original post by RubberDUB
Most top universities do favour A-levels over BTECs. If you do a BTEC you are committed to doing one subject area at university, but if you do A-Levels, you have the choice of 2 or 3 different subject areas, depending on your a level subjects.

To say you have to follow on your subject from BTEC through to university is simply false.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending