The Student Room Group

ELLB3 A2 - Rhetoric devices and Dramatic Effects?

Hey,
I was just wondering if anyone could help me think of some more Rhetoric devices or Dramatic Effects as these are the key to getting a good grade in my English exam (AQA Language and Literature B - 11th June)
I have a few i know but i could do with a little help?

Rhetorical Devices;
Persuasion
Rhetorical Question

Dramtic Devices
Tension/Suspence
Enumerictation for emphasis
Dramatic Irony
Pathos
Catharsis
Conflict
Sexual Tension

Reply 1
Original post by JodieBean
Hey,
I was just wondering if anyone could help me think of some more Rhetoric devices or Dramatic Effects as these are the key to getting a good grade in my English exam (AQA Language and Literature B - 11th June)
I have a few i know but i could do with a little help?

Rhetorical Devices;
Persuasion
Rhetorical Question

Dramtic Devices
Tension/Suspence
Enumerictation for emphasis
Dramatic Irony
Pathos
Catharsis
Conflict
Sexual Tension

Whats pathos and catharsis?? i get really confused between linguistic, literary and rhetorical devises! ahh
Reply 2
Original post by laureneb10
Whats pathos and catharsis?? i get really confused between linguistic, literary and rhetorical devises! ahh

Pathos is a feeling a pity within the audience and catharsis is a sudden emotional climax :smile:

Do you know any differnt ones? :/
Reply 3
Pathos is a feeling a pity within the audience and catharsis is a sudden emotional climax :smile:

Do you know any differnt ones? :/

Nooo i don't know anything! :frown: my teacher is pretty bad and we've not learnt any of this stuff! thanks for the other bit :smile:
Reply 4
Nooo i don't know anything! :frown: my teacher is pretty bad and we've not learnt any of this stuff! thanks for the other bit :smile:

Its ok, has your teacher not given you a structure or anything? i can tell you the one i have learnt if you need it? I'm doing street car but i guess its still the same thing :smile: x
Reply 5
Its ok, has your teacher not given you a structure or anything? i can tell you the one i have learnt if you need it? I'm doing street car but i guess its still the same thing :smile: x
nope nothing! I've just been going on the three points you have to include and try and get a structure from that, but i dont really know what to include in it or anything! That would be amazing thank you!!
Reply 6
nope nothing! I've just been going on the three points you have to include and try and get a structure from that, but i dont really know what to include in it or anything! That would be amazing thank you!!

Ok:

I start with a bit of an introduction - like mine would be Williams presents the theme of ..... by ....
So basically include the theme or whatever the question is based on and explain why you think that

Next paragraph i would include would be context, so talk about what happened BEFORE the extract involved and AFTER but make sure you think this back to the question so if the theme is death, include context that happened before the extract involving death, and the same for afterwards

Then include your paragraphs about the linguistic, literary and rhetorical devices, BUT start each paragraph with a dramatic effect that highlights it. For example you could say ' Williams shows pathos within the audience to allude to pity for Blanche as.... the hyphens used suggest her slipping of her mental state....
So start the paragrahy with a dramtic device and then start to include on of your three devices. If you explain each well and give evidence for your findings and LINK BACK to your theme or main question you should be fine!

Im sorry if its not very well exlpained plus i have explained it in the context of streetcar as im not doing Hamlet sorry. I hope it helps :smile:
Reply 7
Ok:

I start with a bit of an introduction - like mine would be Williams presents the theme of ..... by ....
So basically include the theme or whatever the question is based on and explain why you think that

Next paragraph i would include would be context, so talk about what happened BEFORE the extract involved and AFTER but make sure you think this back to the question so if the theme is death, include context that happened before the extract involving death, and the same for afterwards

Then include your paragraphs about the linguistic, literary and rhetorical devices, BUT start each paragraph with a dramatic effect that highlights it. For example you could say ' Williams shows pathos within the audience to allude to pity for Blanche as.... the hyphens used suggest her slipping of her mental state....
So start the paragrahy with a dramtic device and then start to include on of your three devices. If you explain each well and give evidence for your findings and LINK BACK to your theme or main question you should be fine!

Im sorry if its not very well exlpained plus i have explained it in the context of streetcar as im not doing Hamlet sorry. I hope it helps :smile:

ahhh you're a life saver! thank you :smile: I would never have thought to do it like that!
Reply 8
ahhh you're a life saver! thank you :smile: I would never have thought to do it like that!

No problem, my teachers really good and its a quite easy way of setting it out :smile:
Reply 9
So I'm now absolutely terrified that it's on Monday ... I feel pretty comfortable on the unseen texts part of the exam, we've done a load of practice on it .... The paragraph structure that JodieBean put above looks awesome but I'm proper struggling relating it to Hamlet ...

Do you have any past essays you've written in this style so I can try and get my head around it? I know you do streetcar, I just think a longer example would help a lawttt :smile: x
Reply 10
Original post by Lisa=)
So I'm now absolutely terrified that it's on Monday ... I feel pretty comfortable on the unseen texts part of the exam, we've done a load of practice on it .... The paragraph structure that JodieBean put above looks awesome but I'm proper struggling relating it to Hamlet ...

Do you have any past essays you've written in this style so I can try and get my head around it? I know you do streetcar, I just think a longer example would help a lawttt :smile: x

I have attatched one i have done, it wasn't marked but my grades have been between B's and A*

Hope this helps x

Quick Reply

Latest