The Student Room Group

Is there an over the counter substitute for beta blockers?

Hi TSR,

I was wondering, for those people who suffer from extreme anxiety and have used beta blockers to cope in the past, is there any substitute for them? I'm just conscious of the fact that I keep going to the doctor to ask for prescriptions. I cannot seem to cope without these tablets, be it social/work/uni situations. Do you think doctors will stop giving me in the end? I'm receiving CBT at the moment.

I know Kalms and that rescue remedies do not work. I have tried them in the past. Do you have any suggestions for over the counter medication that works to the same effect as beta blockers?

Many thanks in advance.
Best remedy. Breathing properly
Reply 2
Anonymous
Hi TSR,

I was wondering, for those people who suffer from extreme anxiety and have used beta blockers to cope in the past, is there any substitute for them? I'm just conscious of the fact that I keep going to the doctor to ask for prescriptions. I cannot seem to cope without these tablets, be it social/work/uni situations. Do you think doctors will stop giving me in the end? I'm receiving CBT at the moment.

I know Kalms and that rescue remedies do not work. I have tried them in the past. Do you have any suggestions for over the counter medication that works to the same effect as beta blockers?

Many thanks in advance.

In short, no. You will not be able to get beta blockers or anything 'like' it over the counter. Your doctor will keep prescribing them for as long as you need them, but hopefully the CBT will work if you stick with it. There are alternative drugs for anxiety, such as some anti-depressants, but even these require a prescription.
Reply 3
Cybele
In short, no. You will not be able to get beta blockers or anything 'like' it over the counter. Your doctor will keep prescribing them for as long as you need them, but hopefully the CBT will work if you stick with it. There are alternative drugs for anxiety, such as some anti-depressants, but even these require a prescription.

Yeah hope the CBT works.

Oh goodness, no way. I wouldn't take anti-depressants, the side effects people seem to report are horrendous and also the withdrawal symptoms.
I only take the beta blockers on the PRN basis and if I had to stop, I wouldn't experience withdrawal symptoms but anxiety would just be annoying in intense situations.
I know this may be useless, as I'm not too sure on the rulings of beta-blockers, but if you keep on having to go back to the doctors for a prescription, is there no way they can just give you a repeat prescription? So you just have to go back to the pharmacy?
Reply 5
Nope. I tried :frown:

Talk to your GP.
Reply 6
Anonymous
Yeah hope the CBT works.

Oh goodness, no way. I wouldn't take anti-depressants, the side effects people seem to report are horrendous and also the withdrawal symptoms.
I only take the beta blockers on the PRN basis and if I had to stop, I wouldn't experience withdrawal symptoms but anxiety would just be annoying in intense situations.

Beta blockers don't stop anxiety, they just reduce the physical symptoms of anxiety by blocking the adrenaline to your heart. Hopefully the CBT will teach you how to 'calm' yourself in the same way so you don't get into a panic. :smile: It might be a long process but think of how nice it will be not have to pop a pill every time you're anxious. Good luck!
There is a huge variety of anti-depressants and your doctor should help you to find one that works for you. The risks associated with them decline dramatically after the age of 18-20. I have general anxiety disorder and have panic attacks periodically. Anti-depressants helped to dramatically decrease the intensity, duration, and frequency of my panic attacks and my day-to-day anxiety. It was a hard sell for me too, but it made such a huge difference.
Locking thread due to age

Latest

Trending

Trending