The Student Room Group

Do you think your life is already planned out for you?

I was thinking earlier if our lives are actually led by fate or already planned out. This is because I've had so many coincidences in my life, and everything seems to link one way or another. For example one event in my life would lead to me meeting an opportunity which then leads me to another part of my life.

Also, both good and bad things seem to happen at the right time since they again seem to link together in some way, like one time in my life where I broke up with a girl which caused me to become emotionally numb, and because of that, I managed to survive the roughest patch in my life where bad things were constantly thrown at me and now things like that don't seem to bother me as much.

Its just a theory though :P, I was wondering on your opinions whether you think life is one massive map already planned out or if its something else, I'm interested to see your opinions :biggrin:.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey Kenare,

I would like or rather need to think that everything, good or bad happens for a reason... Wheather they do or not, I have no idea... But I think it is also that which permits human beings to march along?
Reply 2
Its true... if you have asian parents.
Nope, I think I am in control :h:
I believe in free will, every action has a purpose. You create those good and bad actions, you're planning out your life. However sometimes most of the time we don't know their consequences. It's your responsibilities, the older you grow the more you have the tougher it gets.
I believe you make your own paths in life but in every situation there will come from it positives and negatives you didn't plan or expect.
Reply 6
I'd tend to think that my life hasn't been planned and everything is still open, but there have been so many instances where things have happened and only after they have happened have I realised that it was for the best.
(I'm assuming here that if my life has been planned, then it's been planned in such a way to give me the best possible life.)

I like the thought that my life already has a path and it's comforting to think that things have a reason, but I'm just not convinced that it's actually true; I think we just use it to comfort us when we feel like we have lost control of something in our life.
I think to a certain extent we have free will. But then again, I question that because some individuals are born with disabilities which means their autonomy is limited.. so it's a difficult and massive question to answer
Reply 8
Entirely free will, saying your fate has been decided suggests someone has decided our fate for us, which is suggests a higher being has control over us, which is something I don't believe in or agree with. All the coincidences you have in your life are just that; coincidences.
Original post by Phobia27
Entirely free will, saying your fate has been decided suggests someone has decided our fate for us, which is suggests a higher being has control over us, which is something I don't believe in or agree with. All the coincidences you have in your life are just that; coincidences.

That is a fine avatar!:gthumb:
Reply 10
There was this one time I puked in the middle of a class in front of everyone.

I don't really see anyone carefully planning that.

That or someone wanted me to learn an important lesson: that you can only choose one: breakfast or dignity.
I went with the dignity thing. My gastric ulcer can confirm it.

Umm, or how about the times I had diarrhea? Or when I "miss the target" . Uuuu I know. When there's no toilet paper? Where is the big life lesson there?
sorry for the images.

If our lives were to be planned, who would be that planner? God? And to what purpose: teaching us lessons? And why teach us lessons when we're gonna die anyway. Why plan for billions of creatures? And why do that for an eternity?
Seems a little pointless...
It must be, otherwise how do I see things that happen like the following week in my dreams, and deja vu.
Reply 12
I've thought about this alot.

I believe our lives are planned out, but not by divine intervention but by ourselves subconsciously, we live in particular environments and everyone has a particular personality, causing us to choose particular decisions i.e. what we like doing what we want to avoid, ultimately leading us to different paths, someone might be really adventurous causing them to make brave decisions, some of us might be good at people skills might lead to be an influential person etc. Even if it does seem as if only chance that it could happen to us, I believe it is our personalities that brought us to that particular place for that situation to occur.
Meh, maybe. Even if it is we still have the illusion of choice so I'm not really bothered. As long as I feel free, I don't really care if I actually have that freedom or not.
Original post by Phobia27

Why? Out of genuine curiosity.
Reply 15
Who by?
hmm...I personally think that life is like one of those books in which it gives you choices

eg. do X and turn to page 3
do Y and turn to page 28

except on a much much bigger and more complex scale, thus giving us the illusion of total free will....
I actually find it a bit scary that our life is already mapped out. I want to be in control and make my own decisions. And what about people who have **** lives?
I dont believe in it though, there are too many variables that are out of our control. For example, the tsunami in Japan. It could be argued that our decisions and reactions to events would be mapped out but we are always going to make the same decisions.
Reply 18
I believe are lives are determined. 'Planned out' gives the impression of somebody doing the planning, which I disagree with, I simply don't believe in free will. My decisions are based upon my emotions, these, in turn, stem from every experience in my past, thus, I cannot be in control. It's impossible to shape one's own emotions, and therefore it seems to follow that, if you can't shape the very thing which influences your decisions, your decisions are no longer free.

Free will is a strange concept; it asserts 'acting without influence'; but that raises another question. If you're acting without influence, then you appear to be acting randomly, if you're acting randomly, then there's no way you're in control. Every action has some influence behind it, if there's influence, there's no free will.

In the most simplistic terms: I do things because I feel things, and I feel things because of what has come before the very moment in question. It therefore follows that our lives are each hypothetically predicable, if only we had the capacity to know everything about one's life.
Yes, I think everyones life is already planned and everything happens for a reason.

Quick Reply

Latest