The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

What is your opinion on Kingston University?

Advantages/disadvantages?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Academically:

Adv: I think it's a great Uni for people who are intelligent but don't get given the chance to show it in exams. I personally don't believe that straight As = intelligence and everyone deserves the same level of teaching quality at Uni regardless of academia! For example you can get average grades, go to Kingston and still be given a bloody good education. I've only been there a few weeks and I feel like I'm learning a lot on my course and it's well taught (apart from one seminar tutor who I'm almost 100% sure doesn't speak English at all >.>)

DisAdv: I don't know yet, it must be different for different subjects really but Kingston is very good for arts and social sciences anyway. I don't think they give you enough time to settle into the workload/Uni life, I got homework on freshers week before classes even started but that could be the same for every Uni I guess.

Socially:

Adv: If you live in halls you'll be fine making friends. The nightlife is good on student nights, plenty of pubs etc. SU bar booze is cheap and it has a built in Subway (perfect selling point :P) and there's quite a few societies.

DisAdv: If you don't live in halls/shared accommodation you'll find it quite to make friends because people in halls kinda just stick to the first people they meet, fortunately there's fb groups for Kingston which helps people meet and stuff before term etc.
The bulk of the societies are aimed at creating cliques I find and personally I don't think people should hang out with people JUST BECAUSE of race, religion, nationality etc. and I was hoping Kingston would be more diverse.

Hope this helps :smile: x
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
I find most of the students quite unfriendly, partly because it's more of a commuter university. I haven't been able to make many good friends here.

Apart from that it's not bad.
Original post by Koobideh
I find most of the students quite unfriendly, partly because it's more of a commuter university. I haven't been able to make many good friends here.

Really? :frown: That's sad, I commute but I've managed to make some good friends. I don't think people are unfriendly at all, what campus are you at? I'm on Penryhn Road
Reply 4
Original post by GeetarHero
Academically:

Adv: I think it's a great Uni for people who are intelligent but don't get given the chance to show it in exams. I personally don't believe that straight As = intelligence and everyone deserves the same level of teaching quality at Uni regardless of academia! For example you can get average grades, go to Kingston and still be given a bloody good education. I've only been there a few weeks and I feel like I'm learning a lot on my course and it's well taught (apart from one seminar tutor who I'm almost 100% sure doesn't speak English at all >.>)

Hope this helps :smile: x

What do you mean here?
Reply 5
Social Life = Amazing.
Studying = Boring.

Depends what you want from university I guess.
Original post by Koobideh

I don't commute, but know a few people that do, and I would say that there are actually far more students who don't commute, yes there are a large amount, but not a huge percent more than any other edge of london uni, and a lot less than some. Most people I've met are very friendly.

Social side is good, although kingston hill bar was dead last time I was in it.
A single en-suite room in iQ Wave student accommodation halls, the rent includes internet, water, electricity and insurance cover.
Just if anyone is interested. :smile:
A bit off topic I know
Personally Kingston University seems to be good, the only thing that bothers me is the little empathy they have with students that have poor finances.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by UlttraViolett
The only thing that bothers me is the little empathy they have with students that have poor finances.

Really? I have a friend who just got additional help from the university :smile:
Reply 9
Got an offer from there, didn't go.
I didn't like it, mainly because the first year of my potential course was taught at a college down the road (foundation year) which just really made it seem to me that they didn't care about foundation year students. I also didn't want to go to a london uni (only 5 uni's offered my course) but that's just my preference and shouldn't count against Kingston.
Probably a nice uni, but not for me. It didn't feel right for me when I visited.
Reply 10
Original post by Novis
Really? :frown: That's sad, I commute but I've managed to make some good friends. I don't think people are unfriendly at all, what campus are you at? I'm on Penryhn Road

I have an offer for Biomed from Kingston at Penryhn Road. What course are you on? x
Original post by A.P.1
I have an offer for Biomed from Kingston at Penryhn Road. What course are you on? x

I do History ^_^
Original post by Lamps08
What do you mean here?

Sorry for the late reply by the way.

I mean you can be intelligent but not necessarily show it in exams.
I've met plenty of bright people at Kingston and I just think the classes are taught in such a way (on a mature intellectual level) that doesn't mock us for getting like "average grades" or whatever at A level. I'm probably not making sense but I just think Kingston has high hopes for their students and try to better them in every way they can :smile:
I've answered this question on a number of occasions, and will answer it yet again here haha.

My opinion ; I love it.

Quite simply, I would not have come here, and spent coming up to 3 years of my life here, had I not enjoyed it. University is what YOU make of it. Kingston was brilliant for me, I made a great group of friends (not all of them lived out either!) and thoroughly enjoyed myself. My department were very helpful, and like any Uni, it expects you to be independent. No one will chase you up and force you to study for example, it is your prerogative whether you attend your lectures or not, it is just constantly drilled into you that it is at your own detriment that you do not attend. There are regular tests and assignments to keep us on our toes. Again this varies department to department.

I've gone off on a little tangent here, but ultimately what I'm trying to say is, go for an Open Day. Get a feel for the university. If you don't like it, fair enough, if you do...welcome :smile:

Not every university is for everyone ; what I enjoy, you may not, and so I encourage you to go and check out your prospective universities before applying blindly, you will be spending a fair few years there!

Anything else you'd like to know, let me know :smile:
Reply 14
abit off topic but does anyone know how good Kingston is for Law? i cannot decide between Kingston or Anglia Ruskin?
Reply 15
I just got a conditional offer for Criminology for Sep. 2012.. Does anybody here do criminology? is Kingston a good uni for criminology? Why do people say bad things about the uni?? also, would you prefer Westminster uni or Kingston??
Reply 16
Original post by criminal
I just got a conditional offer for Criminology for Sep. 2012.. Does anybody here do criminology? is Kingston a good uni for criminology? Why do people say bad things about the uni?? also, would you prefer Westminster uni or Kingston??

I received a conditional offer for Criminology too!

I'm waiting for the other responses,Kingston is the first one.
Reply 17
Original post by alevar
I received a conditional offer for Criminology too!

I'm waiting for the other responses,Kingston is the first one.

yeah do you actually plan on going there though? ive heard too many bad things about the uni.. to be honest, if i want to stay in london, i have to choose westminster ir kingston because no other decent uni offers the right subject
Reply 18

My housemate does Criminology and she seems to enjoy it.
Reply 19
yeah do you actually plan on going there though? ive heard too many bad things about the uni.. to be honest, if i want to stay in london, i have to choose westminster ir kingston because no other decent uni offers the right subject

Also West London,East London and Greenwich(...and Roehampton and London South Bank) offer a criminology course :wink:

I receveid my second conditional offer from greenwich yesterday..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending