The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What you wish you were told about the uni of manchester before coming

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ben O
That grosvenor place is a very international hall. Just found it hard to make friends and plus its corridors rather than flats so very loud! Suppose it's my own fault for not looking around tbh!

Yeah same i'd moved into there but applied for transfer to owen's park in freshers. Still such a bugger.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 21
are there any halls that are really lively and sociable yet quite enough to study for a hard course? How boring are Victoria and City?
Original post by frastgouy
are there any halls that are really lively and sociable yet quite enough to study for a hard course? How boring are Victoria and City?

I shall recommend Sheavyn House (where I live). It's on the Fallowfield campus so plenty going on (we had our own Freshers week which was awesome), but it's in a lovely quiet green area of the campus so is nice and quiet for working.

Can't tell you for sure, but I've heard Victoria Park is quiet with not much going on and the city is full of international students, meaning it's possible they may keep themselves to themselves.
Reply 23
Original post by fretter778
I shall recommend Sheavyn House (where I live). It's on the Fallowfield campus so plenty going on (we had our own Freshers week which was awesome), but it's in a lovely quiet green area of the campus so is nice and quiet for working.

Can't tell you for sure, but I've heard Victoria Park is quiet with not much going on and the city is full of international students, meaning it's possible they may keep themselves to themselves.

thanks a lot, sheavyne will be a choice then. Is oak house to lively and happening to do an engineering course? Is richmond park similar to sheavyne in that respect?
thanks a lot, sheavyne will be a choice then. Is oak house to lively and happening to do an engineering course? Is richmond park similar to sheavyne in that respect?

Again I don't live there so can't tell you for sure, but I know Oak House is very very lively, as is Owens Park. Richmond was my second choice, again it's in a quiet area away from everywhere else. Arguably nicer and quieter since SH is right next to OP so I can sometimes hear screaming and stuff when people are going on a night out. Richmond is near nothing.

Of course with it being student accommodation you're never going to get library conditions all the time. There's a guy doing aero engineering in my corridor and he's coping fine.
Reply 25
Original post by kopite493
what do you not understand?

the fact that Manchester is a **** hole?

or that i want to take the tower challenge as a person who does not attend the uni

whats the tower challenge?
Original post by Clez
whats the tower challenge?

shot on every floor of owens park tower, as far am I'm aware, it's not actually ever been completed as you're supposed to not be sick
Reply 27
Original post by tillytots
shot on every floor of owens park tower, as far am I'm aware, it's not actually ever been completed as you're supposed to not be sick

My mate did it without being sick, about 15 minutes later... sick everywhere, passed out in his room.
Reply 28
Can anyone tell me just how bad the feedback is? I've heard that the feedback is terribly bad at manc. Does this make studying a lot harder and how easy is it to get hold of a lecturer to talk things through with you?
Reply 29
SHEAVYN! I lived there last year and fresher repped this year. It's fairly underrated as it gets put with (g)Ashburne's 'quiet' label, but it's actually pretty sociable and rowdy when it wants to be. Ashburne has it's own library that sheavyners have access too, so it's pretty easy to do work when you want to.

Personally, I wish people would have told me that the printworks/deansgate is a load of crap earlier so I didn't waste so much money.
Original post by ilex_

Personally, I wish people would have told me that the printworks/deansgate is a load of crap earlier so I didn't waste so much money.

This sooo much. I don't mind AU social as a little guilty pleasure once in a while at tiger tiger but deansgate/locks is just pure awful. SO expensive and full of oompa lumpas, really not a good student vibe either, even on nights like the bar crawls.I got charged £4 for a single vodka mixer!
Reply 31
Original post by ilex_
SHEAVYN! I lived there last year and fresher repped this year. It's fairly underrated as it gets put with (g)Ashburne's 'quiet' label, but it's actually pretty sociable and rowdy when it wants to be. Ashburne has it's own library that sheavyners have access too, so it's pretty easy to do work when you want to.

Original post by tillytots
This sooo much. I don't mind AU social as a little guilty pleasure once in a while at tiger tiger but deansgate/locks is just pure awful. SO expensive and full of oompa lumpas, really not a good student vibe either, even on nights like the bar crawls.I got charged £4 for a single vodka mixer!

I personally found Screamworks and Carnage two of the best night outs I've had so far
Ahh I have an interview gimme an offer Manc now please!
Reply 33
Can anyone tell me just how bad the feedback is? I've heard that the feedback is terribly bad at manc. Does this make studying a lot harder and how easy is it to get hold of a lecturer to talk things through with you?

Completely depends on your course. I'm under the Computer Science and Business Schools and have had good feedback from both, plus if you don't like the level of feedback you receive then you can always ask for more.
Reply 34
Original post by fretter778

Im in Sheavyn and hate it!! Freshers was good.
Reply 35
Original post by chanchan
Im in Sheavyn and hate it!! Freshers was good.

How come?
Reply 36
Original post by 4RealBlud
How come?

Getting drunk and stoned most nights is not what i call a 'good night out'

it is way to anti-social for my liking as most ppl stay in there rooms.
Oak House and OP are both good fun, and you can always work in the computer cluster above OP reception which is pretty much open all the time.
Reply 38
I feel like the OP is trolling a bit...
Original post by Origami Bullets
Can't say that I can back it up massively, but it's the general figure that is bandied about round here.

That said, it is believable given how much of a party hall Tower is. Ever heard of the Tower Challenge? It involves downing a shot of 40% spirits on each of the 18 floors of the Tower.

Tbh, some of the other courts of OP are way louder than Tower. Though obv it depends on who lives there that particular year.

Anyway, I wish someone had told me that I should have gone to warehouse project more... amazing night.

Quick Reply

Latest