The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Malaysia/china

Anybody been to these places?
im in my first year and would love to go abroad to study!

anybody give any advice/info about this place? living costs/the girls/ the whether/is it fun for a standard english student life/a lot of people speak english?
any info would be nice...have to decide by feb
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Really dont recommend as that was only built a couple of years ago, and not situated in city centre. Plus, not that many people in China could speak very fluent english, unless basic conversation is what u are looking for. As fr girls, they are as open minded as white girls. I could be wrong. Haha
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Rubbish.

UNNC is a great place. 40 minutes from CC by taxi, 10 minutes from major shopping / cinema centres, etc. UoN isn't exactly in the CC either.

Don't go for the girls. If you want to do that sort of thing, go to Thailand on holiday or Mansfield on a weekend. Chinese girls tend to be a lot more naive about dating than westerners.

People don't speak fluent english. It is china, what do you expect. You will cope.

Internet is restricted - no FB or Youtube without using a VPN. Meh, facebook is over anyway, and if you want to look at kittens, there are Chinese equivalents.

Living costs - weirdly, cheaper than the UK for some things, more expensive for others. Generally about the same as the UK but in local currency. Western stuff costs more.

International students tend to group together, so the "culture" is about the same as for a UK uni. You will also mix it up with staff more than you would in the UK which is interesting!

Ningbo has three settings for the weather. Too hot, too cold and two weeks of reasonable climate. You get used to it. Summer is a killer though (40 deg!). Walk slowly and drink water.

Malaysia - completely different. It is in the middle of nowhere and too bloody hot. No on-campus bars (muslim country) but plenty in KL.
Reply 3
Original post by envsci83

Don't go for the girls. If you want to do that sort of thing, go to Thailand on holiday or Mansfield on a weekend. Chinese girls tend to be a lot more naive about dating than westerners.

Haha
Reply 4
Original post by Elponchis_LOL
Anybody been to these places?
im in my first year and would love to go abroad to study!

anybody give any advice/info about this place? living costs/the girls/ the whether/is it fun for a standard english student life/a lot of people speak english?
any info would be nice...have to decide by feb

I haven't had the chance to visit the Asia campuses unfortunately :frown:

There's a load of info and contact details @ http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/internationalstudents/exchanges/studyinasia.aspx

The university does also run student-led information sessions so get in touch with them for that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending