The Student Room Group

Best thing to do with my old uni books?

I bought about 6-7 books when I started uni to help with my course and they're still in pretty good condition so was thinking of selling them but was wondering what is the best way to do this?

My uni doesn't have any local book shop that we can sell our books to, it's only to donate them. I looked into amazon and can get about 50% of what I paid back (which is pretty darn good!) but they only will give me a gift card not cash. While I would eventually use the giftcard cash would be handier...does anyone recommend any sites or things to do?

Two of the books now have updated versions so I doubt I'll get much for them but the others are still upto date. If anyone on here is interested they are helpful for any accredited psychology course as they are just core books for each area.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, wasn't sure where to put it.
sell them on ebay.

tell your uni friends that you're having a book sale and suggest that they join you. hold the sale in the union or relevant department of your uni.
Reply 2
Email the people on the respective year of your course and you'll likely find a buyer.
Reply 3
Put up advertisements around your department at uni :smile:
Reply 4
Why are Amazon only paying in gift cards now? (Just wondering because I've been paid cash every time I've sold something on there :tongue:)

Just advertise them to the younger years and sell them on to them.
Try eBay and/or Gumtree! :smile: I recently posted a few old GCSE books on Gumtree and got a buyer within hours :smile: Best of luck!!
Reply 6
Well, the best thing to do with them would obviously be to donate them to your university library so students in the years below will have more textbooks between them and at least some of them are spared having to buy their own books. But I'm guessing that what you're really asking here is what is the best way of selling them?
Reply 7
Re read all of them
Reply 8
THanks for the ideas everyone :smile:

Original post by Hazular
Put up advertisements around your department at uni :smile:

Didn't think this actually worked for some reason but guess it can't hurt to try :smile: It'll be much easier to put up advertisements rather than email everyone because we're not actually allowed to email groups of people advertising what we're selling.

Original post by aeterno
Why are Amazon only paying in gift cards now? (Just wondering because I've been paid cash every time I've sold something on there :tongue:)

Just advertise them to the younger years and sell them on to them.

I was talking about amazon's trade in service not their usual sign up as a seller thing. It basically takes the effort out of selling the books (which would help) and can give me the money all at once so they would be quickly gone.

Original post by hobnob
Well, the best thing to do with them would obviously be to donate them to your university library so students in the years below will have more textbooks between them and at least some of them are spared having to buy their own books. But I'm guessing that what you're really asking here is what is the best way of selling them?

Yup I'm asking what is the best way of selling them. I mainly meant to get rid of them all at once, I probably should have made that clear. My uni library has all of these core books/lots of different versions of them so I could always find a copy, hence my books are in pretty good condition because I mainly done the work at the library and just used the reference books there.
Reply 9
Original post by Boo_x
I was talking about amazon's trade in service not their usual sign up as a seller thing. It basically takes the effort out of selling the books (which would help) and can give me the money all at once so they would be quickly gone.

Ah I see :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending