The Student Room Group

What's your idea of good GCSE grades?

I've seen so many threads about how good somebody's grades are, so I'm just wondering what your idea of good GCSE grades are.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
all A*'s. if you don't get that mate then don't bother with a-levels.

THIS WAS SARCASTIC...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Generally all 'A's and 'B's.
Reply 3
Too variable as it completely depends on the person.

8A*s may be under par for someone who could achieve straight A*s with little effort, whereas 5Cs might be a genuine achievement for someone less able at exams.
Reply 4
In real life, few As and Bs will do.
On TSR minimum of 5A*+
Reply 5
pointless thread /
Reply 6
8A*s, 2A's or more.
Reply 7
Depends on the student. If the student isn't particularly strong academically, it's the highest they're capable of achieving. If it's an academically strong student, then the highest marks.
Reply 8
All A*s is good. All A* but one A is also good.

It's relative to the person; as stated above, somebody may have to work hard to get 5 passes, whereas others may find it relatively straightforward to get several A*s.

But if I was going out on a limb, I'd say that for 10 subjects, anything >= 4A* is pretty good, with the rest mainly As and a couple of Bs.

On a seperate note, would you be happy if you got all As? I.e. No A*s, Bs or Cs etc.
Anything between A* and B
Reply 10
A couple of A grades, mostly B grades and maybe a couple of Cs would be the minimum requirement for "good" in general imo but it depends from person to person
Reply 11
Well i got a mixture of B's & C's - mostly C's though. The only A's I got were for Coursework. But for me that was brilliant- as I spent my GCSE/school years with a heart condition, waiting for the open heart surgery that i got when i was 16.
Reply 12
A*-B grades are better than average grades of C's, but tbh geting a B instead of an A at gcse doesnt really matter, you will still get on to ur A level course and thats where everything counts !!!!! only exception to this rule would be for oxbridge applicants as they will need A* and A's at gcse. most uni's dnt care about gcse's all they care about is you have 5 A*-C grades and gcse's in maths and english to grade C or above.

Edit: i got ABBCCCCD btw :smile: i didnt really revise apart from in science where i got my A ;p the D is in media studies rofl piss take subject
(edited 12 years ago)
Minimum 6-7A* no more than one B.

I honestly fail to understand how some people are so stupid that they get ANY Cs and below unless there are personal reasons involved.
8+ GCSEs A*-B, I would say that those are my standards of good GCSE grades, with the results predominately being As and A*, with maybe a couple of Bs in weaker subjects(for me this is Spanish).
Original post by Azarimanka

I honestly fail to understand how some people are so stupid that they get ANY Cs and below unless there are personal reasons involved.

i was saying this before january and then i got results in march saying i got a D for critical thinking. honestly you don't have to be stupid to get lower than a C but just messing up on the day will screw up your mark.
Reply 16

maybe because they aren't such a nolifer like urself ? maybe because they aren't as smart as you? such arrogance jeez
Original post by tamil4
i was saying this before january and then i got results in march saying i got a D for critical thinking. honestly you don't have to be stupid to get lower than a C but just messing up on the day will screw up your mark.

But GCSEs are Piss easy. I screwed up in my opinion - I got 2As and 1B along with 8A*. I suppose if you are just going to leave school **** grades are fine
(edited 12 years ago)
I think the Key is decent English and maths GCSEs, When you get to reading prospectus's for unis and for employment they always focus on these specific skills for obvious reasons. As long as you get Cs - A*s for the other subjects (hey noones perfect, you may not surpass this in some). Then youll still stand a decent chance of getting into a russel group uni. Dont feel disheartened by other peoples grades just focus on your own abilities.

as ive said on other threads, A levels take far more significance than GCSEs so as long as your grades arent 'shocking' then ull still have a scope for success if you work hard
But GCSEs are Piss easy. I screwed up in my opinion - I got 2As and 1B along with 8A*. I suppose if you are just going to leave school **** grades are fine

Well my D was in AS Critical Thinking. but i guess it's on the individual's ability. some of my mates got 100% in the exam and i got 55%. But i have mates getting Es in gcses when i'm getting A*s in the same exams. Some people's brains just work differently.

btw your grades are brilliant! you must be really intelligent. (in which case i get how you feel that exams are easy)

Quick Reply

Latest