The Student Room Group

In need of advice! A levels.

I am leaving school in June and am still so confused what to do afterwards. I have applied for business admin apprenticeships,for sixth form and a local college.

The reason that I want an apprenticeship is because I don't like school very much, I feel more mature than everyone there and want to be around adults. The fact I will be earning money also has drawn me into applying.

I don't want to go to sixth form at my school as have been put off by everyone saying the teachers treat you like children and it's just like school. I'm not sure what exact A Levels I would take but am interested in Human Geography so if I went to University I would study that. The A Levels that I would maybe take are Geography, Sociology & Politics - and R.E is compulsory at that sixthform. I could instead go to a local college, and study my A Levels there but am nervous about meeting new people. If I went to a local college I would need to get the bus, my mam isn't in a situation where she could provide me bus fair money everyday, are there any grants available? That is what else is putting me off A Levels.

However, although at this moment in time an apprenticeship does seem to be the best option for me, where could it actually lead me? I get quite good results and wouldn't like to think I would be wasting my life away working somewhere where i'm unhappy when I could be doing something more interesting and higher paid if I had a degree.

So, my question is - what do you think I should do? :smile:

Any advice would be really appreciated x
Perhaps you should talk to the college and see if you would get any funding or it might say so on the website. I'm going to start sixth form coege next year so I can't really advise you on anything but good luck with whatever you do :smile: xx
Reply 2
Depends what sort of life you want. Want a typical working class life? Do an apprenticeship. Want a chance to do better, go to university, get a degree, and get a professional high paying job? Do a levels. Don't do sociology and politics though.
The same was said about my school's Sixth Form, but I still stayed, and that was the best choice for me.

The college idea may be a good one, and if there are no grants for travel expenses and stuff, you could work along side, or in the evenings like a few friends and I do to supplement our funds :smile:

I would advise A Levels either way, due to the fact you said you would like to study Human Geography, and that would make sure you had the qualifications necessary for applying for the course you most want to do.

I hope this helps
:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Graceyyyyyyy
Perhaps you should talk to the college and see if you would get any funding or it might say so on the website. I'm going to start sixth form coege next year so I can't really advise you on anything but good luck with whatever you do :smile: xx

Thank you, I will do that :smile: and you too xx
Reply 5
Original post by GeneralOJB
Depends what sort of life you want. Want a typical working class life? Do an apprenticeship. Want a chance to do better, go to university, get a degree, and get a professional high paying job? Do a levels. Don't do sociology and politics though.

Thanks for the advice. I'll think about it. Interested in why you think I shouldn't do politics or sociology? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by wrighty1994
The same was said about my school's Sixth Form, but I still stayed, and that was the best choice for me.

The college idea may be a good one, and if there are no grants for travel expenses and stuff, you could work along side, or in the evenings like a few friends and I do to supplement our funds :smile:

I would advise A Levels either way, due to the fact you said you would like to study Human Geography, and that would make sure you had the qualifications necessary for applying for the course you most want to do.

I hope this helps
:smile:

Hi, thanks for the advice. I think I'll look into part time work :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by GeneralOJB

I think that's a bit stereotypical. Just because you do an apprentiship doesn't mean that you are destined for a "working class life". Many people leave school and work themselves up through the employment chain, doing well for themselves.

Just because you go to uni doesn't mean you are guarenteed by any means a "proffesional high paying job". What are you classing as "proffesional" anyway?
Original post by abbie-here
Thanks for the advice. I'll think about it. Interested in why you think I shouldn't do politics or sociology? :smile:

sociology and politics aren't exactly the most respected A levels (well I think sociology is reasonably respected, but not as much as psychology or biology).
Reply 9
Original post by Helloworld_95
sociology and politics aren't exactly the most respected A levels (well I think sociology is reasonably respected, but not as much as psychology or biology).

Psychology isn't respected either. Biology is but not as much as the other sciences.
Reply 10
Are you interested in Law? There is the ILEX route of becoming a legal executive or qualified solicitor. It is basically earn as you learn (if you find a firm to sponsor you which I very strongly suggest), so maybe you'd be interested in that.

I think you can enter with GCSEs, but it might be more advisable to do A-Levels first to have a backup.

For A-Levels, I think Geography, Politics and Sociology are reasonably good choices if you can good grades in them and aren't that ambitious when it comes to uni choices. Personally I'd recommend to take two out of those with one facilitating subject (Maths, Sciences, History, Foreign Languages) to have a broader set of options. But do subjects you enjoy and will do well in.
Reply 11
Original post by llys
Are you interested in Law? There is the ILEX route of becoming a legal executive or qualified solicitor. It is basically earn as you learn (if you find a firm to sponsor you which I very strongly suggest), so maybe you'd be interested in that. .

I'm really intrigued into the law earn as you learn route, did you do it? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by L.O.V.E
Don't be scared to try college, I stayed at sixth form and ended up dropping out because it was too similar to school and I realised that I wanted to meet new people instead. I took a year off and started at a college where I didn't know anyone. I was nervous at first but everyone was new so it was fine and I love it now.
Most colleges offer a bursary to use towards travel/equipment/books etc so I would enquire about that if I was you. Geography A level is a must for you obviously but have you thought about history as well? You don't need to have done it as GCSE to do it at A level.
I would recommend trying A levels and if you decide that further study is not for you then you can always switch to an apprenticeship. At least you know you gave it a chance and won't look back later on and wish you had.

Thanks so much for the advice. That's what I've been thinking lately, I will have to make myself get over being nervous...alot of people have reccomended history a level to me so will definitely think about it.
Reply 13
Original post by abbie-here
I'm really intrigued into the law earn as you learn route, did you do it? :smile:

Nope. I read a lot about it though - there have been a few articles about it recently. I think with the higher tuition fees now it has gained a lot more interest from clever people who are put off university by the fees. Here is an article from the Guardian.

I'd only go for this if you get sponsorship from a law firm though so that you are employed and earn money throughout.
Reply 14
Original post by llys
Nope. I read a lot about it though - there have been a few articles about it recently. I think with the higher tuition fees now it has gained a lot more interest from clever people who are put off university by the fees. Here is an article from the Guardian.

I'd only go for this if you get sponsorship from a law firm though so that you are employed and earn money throughout.

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply