The Student Room Group

Peugeot 206, 207 or 307?

Hi,

Im 17 at the end of this month and was thinking of buying a car, Ive looked around at a few cars and I really like the look of the Peugeots, especially the three models mentioned above. On average the price is around £900-£1500 which is perfect for me.

A few questions, which would you recommend and why? Also what is the insurance like on the selected models for a first time driver?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Given your price range I'd definitely go for a 206. The simple fact that it's an older model than the 207 or 307 mean that you can get a better car for your money.

The 207 is worth avoiding at this price range. A quick search on Autotrader for a 207 below £2000 brings up two vehicles: one of which is a Cat D write off, and the other is advertised at the wrong price to place it at the top of the list.
Go test drive them and see if you like them. I like the look of the 206 but I took one on a test drive and couldn't stand the dodgy seating position.
Reply 3
206, its the only one you can get at the price
206. Ive had two of them now. Lovely little cars. Great to drive. Great to park. Look nice but you're not too worried if they get the occasional scratch. They are also pretty reliable. Touch wood ive only had to replace a tyre because of a puncture and the exhaust through rust (both things that are normal wear and tear anyways). If you need spare parts e.g. wing mirror or something theres so many about you can get cheap parts from scrap yards. Also if you get a diesel they have great mileage. My 2 ltr turbo does about 500 miles to a tank. My 1.4 ltr did even more.

I got my 206 when I was 18 and I still have one now at 23. I cant comment on the others but I can say 206 is good.#

In response to the above comment as well I would go sit in one. They can have funny seats and depending on your build you may not get on with them. I find the seats quite comfortable but the guy I brought my car off of sold it because it hurt his back (he was sad to see it go becuase he did actually love it as a car)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
At that price, out of these, a 206.

But I wouldn't buy a French car - so I would buy a nice Fiesta 1.25 for that money and that kind of car :smile:
Reply 6
The 206 isn't a bad little car, I've had one for a year or so and not really had any major problems with it. Not exactly an exciting car but does what I need it to and will cruise down the motorway pretty happily. I drove a 307 for 6 months or so and wasn't impressed, horrible gearbox, very plasticy and not a huge amount of room inside given the size of the car. I'd definitely avoid in future.
Reply 7
thanks people for the replies, looks like ill be getting a 206 when I pass!
Reply 8
Original post by ORuss17

Not on your list but 306! Great cars, low insurance group too and they look nice. Go for the latest made ones though(2000-2001) because they have no electrical problems.

206 is ok, but a bit meh. Have some electrical problems too that are common (airbag light fault, electric windows and central locking failures)

:ahee: (click picture)

Peugeot_306_GTI_6_137_1.jpg
Reply 9
Original post by ORuss17

Weren't you the one who was asking for an automatic car?

Are you planning on an automatic 206?
What about a 205? I've had a couple, they're great. Insurance was about a grand on my first one.
Reply 11
Original post by Herr
Weren't you the one who was asking for an automatic car?

Are you planning on an automatic 206?

i was but ive changed my mind, if i learn longer it gives me more time to save up as well haha

Original post by HumorousGent.
What about a 205? I've had a couple, they're great. Insurance was about a grand on my first one.

hmm they look too squared for me, i like the rounder look, where did you get your insurance from? everytime i go on comparethemarket or go compare the prices are like 5k which is the lowest?
Original post by ORuss17

hmm they look too squared for me, i like the rounder look, where did you get your insurance from? everytime i go on comparethemarket or go compare the prices are like 5k which is the lowest?

Personally I prefer the looks to the newer Pugs but can understand if you don't. Got mine from Admiral, helps if you go direct as you can't give all your details on the comparison websites. Try also Bell and Elephant which are sister companies, just with slightly different target markets so slightly differing premiums.

Dunno what exactly you're looking for in a car, but a 205 diesel will do 50mpg+ easily (petrol engines won't be much less either), never break down, cheap insurance, easy to DIY service/cheap at a garage, simple to work on blah blah. Personally think the costs would be much lower than a more modern car but admittedly you do lose refinement on the motorway/'image' amongst people who just want to look at the year/letter on your numberplate.
Reply 13
Ford Fiesta :yep:

Seriously the best first car you can have.

(This is from a person who has been through 5 different cars, so I'm not just a Fiesta owner who likes his Fiesta saying good things about it).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ORuss17
i was but ive changed my mind, if i learn longer it gives me more time to save up as well haha

It is better to go directly to the websites of the insurance companies and request for a quote than it is to use a comparison website. Sometimes it might just work out to be cheaper to call up that insurance company and speak to to someone directly rather than using the net :biggrin:

As for car choices, the 206 would be the better one to get in your price range. I doubt you'd be able to get a 207 unless it was in poor condition at that price range. 307, unless you need the space avoid at no cost :biggrin:

Anyway I had a 206, it was a CC 2.0l it was an interesting car but it was rather unreliable in its 1st year of ownership.... too damn many electrical gremlins/teething problems, but my ladyfriend had a 206 1.4l she did 160k in it over 7 years without a single problem, just wear and tear. I guess if you buy one, then buy on condition that it had been well maintained.
Reply 15
My 206 1L was a fine little car.

Lets be honest here, in our land of speed cameras, rising fuel prices and rising insurance premiums, there's not much -sense- in getting anything sexier. It just pushes the costs up!
Reply 16
Others have said these things, and I've given rep, but want to reinforce them:

Firstly, I've owned a 306 and now a 307.

1. 206 probably best choice out of those for your price range and age/experience etc.

2. A 306 is a fantastic choice - much better than the 206/207 and cheaper than a 307, but far more reliable and actually a fantastic little car :smile: I miss mine!

3. For any of these models, please make sure you test drive them intensively, in particular with the electronics. Peugeots are known (and believe me it is true!) for their problems with electronics. Things to make sure you test a number of times: indicators, radio, horn, wipers, air con, windows, wing mirrors (if electronic). My 307 is sooooo annoying for electronics problems!

4. Get a Ford Fiesta.

Also whoever said that they were disappointed with the space in a 307...?!?! Everyone who gets in my car comments on how much space there is inside, and there's a huge amount of boot space. These are some of the positives. Also the very panoramic view out of the windscreen, it's fantastic :biggrin:

However I am now looking to move onto a Ford/Vauxhall, as given up with the (lack of) reliability issues that come with French cars :rolleyes:
If you're going to buy a Pug, get a 306. I've never known anyone to have many major issues with them - same story for the 406 on the whole but you'll look like a double glazing salesman in one of those!

On the flip size, while the 307 is a pretty good motor, it was the most unreliable car I've ever owned. Not only that, it was nigh on impossible to fix much yourself. I heard the garage down the road got a good bonus at Christmas that year.
Reply 18
I would go for a 206, I've got one at the moment and it's been reliable so far (apart from needing a new battery, but the car's 9 years old anyway). The driving position will take some getting used to though...
Reply 19
I have a 307 (first car).

206 seems to small/feminine. But on reliability I'd go for 206, though I'm happy with my 307.

Plan on switching to a vauxhall astra next year.

Quick Reply

Latest