The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham Secondary English PGCE 2012-'13

Hi everyone,

I've been struggling to find forums for those who have been offered a place for the secondary English PGCE at the Uni of Notts, so I thought I'd start one myself!

Already made friends with a lovely girl from my interview who was also given a place, and would like to meet some more!!

And congratulations for getting in!!

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I have an interview next week for this course; has anyone got any advice/tips for the interview?

What did they ask you? Was there any questions you found tricky? And what did you discuss in the group discussion?

Hope to see you all in September!

Jasmine x
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi,

I have an interview in 3 weeks any tips? Everyone else seems to be talking about a presentation. There is nothing about one in the stuff I was sent, is this right?

Lucinda
x
Hi,

I had an interview a few weeks ago, but did not get a place.

I think this may have been because of my lack of poetry knowledge, as in the group discussion we were asked to discuss poems which we were given and I didn't have that much to say! We were each given a poem and then allowed 10 minutes to think of ideas of how we would teach it to an Alevel class (so think about how you would teach them differently to a GCSE class, also be prepared to be asked about your opinion on your poem).

Then we were required to write about an A4 sides worth about a book which we had read recently, and comment why it would be good to teach in schools (however the content of this is not very important, as they are just checking your writing skills).

The individual interview was quite straight forward - she asked the basic questions and then about current educational issues you are aware of, and about your own learning experiences.

Really hope this helps, and the best of luck with your interview!

Jasmine x
Reply 4
I'm sorry to hear you didn't get a place Jasmine :frown:

I'm very surprised I got a place based on my lack of poetry knowledge also, as I haven't done literature since GCSE, because I've done Language at A Level and at graduate level. I have to say, the poems were tough, I had to read mine 10 times through to get a clear understanding of it, and I know the other candidates struggled!

Lucinda, Jasmine's given you some good advice, so I would have said the same to be honest! But don't worry too much about the poetry task, because they're more looking for your interpretation of it, rather than if you've interpreted it right or not! PS. Make sure you're very cooperative and friendly with the other candidates, because I think that was something else they were looking quite closely at!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Hi,

Thanks for all the tips, slightly calmer about it all now!

Got my interview on Thursday, how long before they tell you if you have a place or not?

Luci
Reply 6
I found out within 2 days, so they're very quick at getting back to you!

Good luck :smile:

Sophie x
Reply 7
I got a place! (Well as long a my CRB is ok!).

Are you going to stay in Halls Sophie or are you local to Notts? Would be great to chat before we get there. I am on Facebook if you are? (Lucinda Fleur Inns)

Hope to hear from you soon.

Luci x
Reply 8
Hi Sophie and Lucy

I am going to be on the English PGCE course too am a bit scared tbh because I'm moving from Ldn and don't know anyone in Nottingham! There were some really nice people at my interview but don't know if they got in yet so hopefully there might be at least one familiar face! Where are you both from?

Becky
Reply 9
Hi everyone,

I've got onto the PGCE course in Primary Education... Its a PGCE/SCITT course. I just wondered where is everyone living? It seems like no PGCE student is living in halls :s I rang St.Peters Court this morning, and I'm thinking of living there. Most places are booked up already.

MM
Reply 10
Hi Becky,

I am from Lincolnshire so still don't know anyone! Would be nice to get to know a few people before we start. Are you living in hall?

Luci
Reply 11
HI MM30,

I was looking at halls but would be interested in going in on a house share with some others if I can't get in anywhere else. I am still waiting for my offer to go conditional (CRB and health form) so can't do anything with halls yet :frown:

Have you looked anywhere else?

Luci
Reply 12
Hi Everyone,

I just found out that i have been accepted for a PGCE Biology in University of Notts and I'm not that interested in living in halls. Has anyone else looked for private accommodation? Or would anyone be interested in a hosue share?

Catherine.
Reply 13
Hi Everyone

I have been pretty useless at finding out about halls and houses and stuff:confused! I am not to keen to live in halls as whilst i'm not going to pretend I don't like a drink my last halls were pretty (fun but) crazy and from what I here the work on a PGCE is intense. I would defo be interested in a house share with nice people in an affordable place

Becky

xx
Hi all!

I got accepted into this course recently and after sorting out all the CRB, student finance etc, I'm now desperately in need of somewhere to live,
any advise,

Thank you,
Freddie
Original post by Bex5490
Hi Everyone

I have been pretty useless at finding out about halls and houses and stuff:confused! I am not to keen to live in halls as whilst i'm not going to pretend I don't like a drink my last halls were pretty (fun but) crazy and from what I here the work on a PGCE is intense. I would defo be interested in a house share with nice people in an affordable place

Becky

xx

Hi Becky,

I'm in the same boat! Just got accepted, waiting for CRB etc, but left it way too late to find a place, are you still looking? or have you got any advise if you've found somewhere. It would be nice to be with other PGCE students!

Freddie
Hey Becky

I've just had an offer for PGCE English, very excited! Did u guys have any luck finding places to live? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I've not lived in Nottingham before so not sure where are good places to live etc.

Chrissy
Hi Christina,

I've been utterly useless at finding anywhere to live, just been browsing Google without much joy really. I'm reluctant to stay in halls (as you said quite an intense course!) but I've never stayed in Nottingham either, so not a clue where's good to live. Let me know if you guys have any luck. If anyones looking for a fellow PGCE'er to stay with, I'm very tidy and quiet :smile:
Hey Freddie

Are you on the PGCE English as well?

I can't wait to get started, although I have friends who have just finished the course at Edinburgh and they've told me to catch up on sleep as we won't get much rest during the course!

Yeah I'm also looking for a place to share :smile:

Chrissy
Hey Chrissy,

Yeah I'm a bag of nerves and excitement but can't wait to get started either!
My sister told me the same thing, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the long term.
Have you had any luck with the househunting? I've had an email from a guy whose got a few houses near University, it's just the matter of getting up there to view them! If we could get a few of us together would you fancy having a PGCE house? It's getting so close now!

Freddie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending