The Student Room Group

got angry in Marks and Spencer yesterday, was I wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by silverbolt
Maybe she was shy? and impressed by your overwhelming masculinity as to be rendered speechless and unable to truly comprehend your aura of confidence

Or maybe the OP's zipper is opened so that's why the cashier tried not looking at the OP because his size is just madness!
Reply 61
First world problems.
Reply 62
Original post by OmeletteAuFromage
Yes you were wrong. What are you? A prima donna? Cashiers don't get paid minimum wage to smile at you and pack your things nice and neatly.

bull****, m&s cashiers don't get minimum wage, they get >£6.50. that is what my MANAGER gets - i work in a small shop because i can't find work anywhere else and because i'm 17 i get paid £3.68. i can understand rude cashiers who get £3.68/hour, but people who work in m&s? that's luxury.
I would have been angry too and probably would have said something. Although the woman was probably having an awful day, she should leave that at the door when she goes into work. I work two jobs- I'm a counsellor and work with disabled children. When I go into work, I can't look like I'm hating life or treat people rudely. I'm getting paid to offer a service, not to bring my problems or grievances into work.

So, I can understand that you were annoyed. Whilst not thinking it's the biggest customer service issue in the world, it does sound like you were treated rudely. You should be understanding of the fact that people do have awful days though, it might have been a one off occurrence.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tnetennba
bull****, m&s cashiers don't get minimum wage, they get >£6.50. that is what my MANAGER gets - i work in a small shop because i can't find work anywhere else and because i'm 17 i get paid £3.68. i can understand rude cashiers who get £3.68/hour, but people who work in m&s? that's luxury.

That's true. They most definitely don't get minimum wage in M&S.
Reply 65
Original post by tnetennba

£3.68/hour. Isn't that below minimum wage? I don't know where you live, but I would look for another job.

To be honest, £6.50/hour isn't that high of a wage for a supermarket. I am over 18 and work at Sainsburys in London and I get £7.05/hour. I think M&S employees get more then £7.05/hour, as I consider M&S more upmarket then Sainsburys.

Even tho I get £7.05/hour, I dislike my job. I rather work around £6.50/hour but enjoy my job.
Reply 66
Original post by Ohlavelle
also we're talking about Marks and Spencers here so you expect a certain level of decency.

The other day I went to buy a bottle of vodka, handed it to the cashier and got promptly glassed in the face.

I knew I had it coming though. I was shopping at Asda. :cool:
Original post by AliceStrawbs
Don't feel bad, you're not wrong. Customer service in this country is often POOR. In this instance we should take notes from the Americans, yeah they can come across as syrupy and overly nice but customer service is important! People don't like to shop in places where the staff have a bag on and neglect common decency. Moving on to the next customer was plain rude, she should have politely asked you if you wanted any help packing your bags.

People like you cause supermarkets to run inefficiently.

You forget we have jobs to do and queues to shrink. You expect us to float about and be there for every need.

Seriously. You have two arms, why can't you pack your own bag, save me a job and not hold everybody up?

Where is the problem with that? You're probably the same time of person who pulls their face at the sight of a big queue.
Reply 68
I don't let stuff like get to me.
Reply 69
1st world problem much?
I am all about effciency at tills in supermarkets. It really annoys me when people faff about at tills when they should just grab their stuff and get out of the way so the next person can be served, I get out of the way before even putting my change in my wallet. I don't really like the person serving being friendly, if I am in a good mood then i dont care whether they smile or not and if I am in a bad mood I find it irritating they are all cheery. They should just scan the stuff through and tell you how much it is, an optional "cheers" at the end is ok too.

You do have a bit more of a case at M and S if it is a load of stuff that needs folding and its dumbed into a big pile, if it doesnt need folding then its not hard to quickly shove it in and walk off.I would be happy I didnt have to que as long.
Original post by Agenda Suicide
People like you cause supermarkets to run inefficiently.

You forget we have jobs to do and queues to shrink. You expect us to float about and be there for every need.

Seriously. You have two arms, why can't you pack your own bag, save me a job and not hold everybody up?

Where is the problem with that? You're probably the same time of person who pulls their face at the sight of a big queue.

Having worked in retail myself I know that customer service is important. Yes a slow customer may hold you up for a few minutes but that's just tough. Retail is about the customer.

Most supermarkets actually ask if you want help packing, M&S included and this wouldn't actually hold anyone up if the packing is split between the customer and employee.

Manners cost nothing and moving on to the next customer without giving the previous one time to pack their things and move is just plain rude for both customers.
Reply 72
It could be worse. I was in the post office today trying to send a parcel, and the guy serving me had his mobile phone next to him, which rang, and he started jabbering on it for ages to his mate while I was standing there like a lemon waiting for him to finish his conversation!
Reply 73
Original post by jo d
so i can't get good service? don't you get good business processes?

As far as I'm concerned, a good business process is one which gets through thousands of customers a day as efficiently as possible. What I've noticed is that smaller shops are more likely to bag your shopping. Why? They have smaller customer bases, so the cashiers get to know us, and they are less tired, so they are more willing to bag our items. Also, small shops customer base is far more important to keep regulars, whereas for big shops most people go to places for a specific reason (i.e. cheaper, familiarity, certain specialties)
Original post by Sternumator
I am all about effciency at tills in supermarkets. It really annoys me when people faff about at tills when they should just grab their stuff and get out of the way so the next person can be served, I get out of the way before even putting my change in my wallet. I don't really like the person serving being friendly, if I am in a good mood then i dont care whether they smile or not and if I am in a bad mood I find it irritating they are all cheery. They should just scan the stuff through and tell you how much it is, an optional "cheers" at the end is ok too.

You do have a bit more of a case at M and S if it is a load of stuff that needs folding and its dumbed into a big pile, if it doesnt need folding then its not hard to quickly shove it in and walk off.I would be happy I didnt have to que as long.

I agree with most of it, but I think being too efficient is wrong: you could have the wrong change and not realise, and I think a little conversation with the cashier is nice!
Original post by AliceStrawbs
Having worked in retail myself I know that customer service is important. Yes a slow customer may hold you up for a few minutes but that's just tough. Retail is about the customer.

Most supermarkets actually ask if you want help packing, M&S included and this wouldn't actually hold anyone up if the packing is split between the customer and employee.

Manners cost nothing and moving on to the next customer without giving the previous one time to pack their things and move is just plain rude for both customers.

I'm not saying just instantly move on I am talking about people like OP who have an open bag to simply place three things in and they stand there like a lemon. I don't do a time trial and try and force everybody through in record time. There is a difference.

That's just presenting a fallacy.
If it bothered you that much, complain to Marks and Spencer.

As a former customer assistant working in foods, we were trained to a high standard and as such were expected to provide excellent customer service.

I'm sure that her behaviour won't go unnoticed, especially since M&S have mystery shoppers in each store once a month.
Reply 77
Original post by journalismus
If it bothered you that much, complain to Marks and Spencer.

As a former customer assistant working in foods, we were trained to a high standard and as such were expected to provide excellent customer service.

I'm sure that her behaviour won't go unnoticed, especially since M&S have mystery shoppers in each store once a month.

This mirrors my experience of Marks, which is that they are particularly good at till service.

I suspect OP has done something by way of a windup or general obnoxious behaviour and provoked this response from the checkout person.
Original post by goodmorningworld
I agree with most of it, but I think being too efficient is wrong: you could have the wrong change and not realise, and I think a little conversation with the cashier is nice!

You don't have to properly count it you can see if it is right just by having a quick look as they hand it over. Conversation can be good, it depends on the shop and if there is a que. I worked at a butchers and they used to make a real effort to chat to all the customers. People like that because they get to know them and know they arent going to sell them bad stuff. They like the fact they can go back and get served by the same freindly person. Its different in a supermarket though because the environment is too busy, there is too much going on and it is not a nice experiance. You just want to get in there, get your stuff and get out again as quickly as you can. Even the butchers who chatted away for ages usually stopped around christmas time. The shop is full of people, we are rushing around trying to get the turkeys out to people, its just not the time for a chat.
I just pack the bags myself, it's my speciality :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending