The Student Room Group

can i sign on dole (JSA) in uni holiday?

hi, so iv jus finishd my 1st yer ov university :-D
and i was wondering whether i can sign on the dole (jobseekers allowance) now till september?
whilst looking for a job that is...

would i have to say im a student wen applying for jobseekers allowance? n if i do will this stop me from geting JSA?

do ppl do this?

thanx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.

You're in full time Education so you don't qualify as unemployed and therefore you don't get JSA.

That is, unless you have a partner in education and a child in which case, yes you can claim during the summer.

They don't give it away that easy :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Natt39
No.

You're in full time Education so you don't qualify as unemployed and therefore you don't get JSA.

That is, unless you have a partner in education and a child in which case, yes you can claim during the summer.

They don't give it away that easy :tongue:

oryt ok. but i know people claiming JSA and they are fulltime students..?
Reply 3
•one of a couple who are both full-time students and responsible for a child (this only applies during the summer vacation)
•students on certain government approved employment related training course
•a student who is absent from their course due to illness or caring responsibilities: you can claim from when the reason for your absence has ceased until the day before you rejoin your course or the start of the next academic year, whichever is the earlier

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/service/studentsupportcentre/finance/students-benefits.html

Those are the execptions. If you don't fall into those you won't get it. The people you know either fall into those or are defrauding DWP and you don't want to go down that route :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Aisha M
oryt ok. but i know people claiming JSA and they are fulltime students..?

Full-time students

Direct Gov
If you’re studying full time, you may be able to claim Jobseeker's Allowance during the summer holiday if one of the following apply:

you're a single parent who is responsible for a child or young person
you have a partner who is also a full-time student, and one or both of you is responsible for a child or young person

You also need to be available for and actively seeking work.

You may also be able to claim if you’re waiting to go back to a course, having taken approved time out for a period of up to one year because of an illness or caring responsibility that has now come to an end.

If none of the situations is described above apply then, it's likely that they are breaking the law. Student loan is accounted for as income when applying for benefits.
(edited 11 years ago)
You should be able to get it or speak to someone who know in your sitiuation.
Reply 6
ohryt no i didnt apply for student loan, jus the gant wich i used 2 pay of tuition fee
Reply 7
Original post by Natt39
Makes no difference I'm afraid. There are other benefits that you can look into if you are Disabled or have a child or have some other reason why you cannot work. JSA isn't one of them as its only avaliable to those unemployed and students don't count. Looking for work quickly is your best bet, which sucks I know but...

I would hardly say that "sucks"...
Reply 8
Original post by gemnomnom
I would hardly say that "sucks"...

Aimed towards the quickly part :wink:
Reply 9
why did i get neggd? :frown: i jus wanted info gosh
Original post by Aisha M
ohryt no i didnt apply for student loan, jus the gant wich i used 2 pay of tuition fee

Get the loan next year, then you won't need the JSA.
You can get it in the summer between school and uni, because you've left one institution but not started at another.

However, once at uni, your final term's loan / grant includes an amount to cover the summer (and you can't expect the government to give you more free money, just because you didn't feel like taking out a loan).
Original post by Aisha M
hi, so iv jus finishd my 1st yer ov university :-D
and i was wondering whether i can sign on the dole (jobseekers allowance) now till september?
whilst looking for a job that is...

would i have to say im a student wen applying for jobseekers allowance? n if i do will this stop me from geting JSA?

do ppl do this?

thanx

As others have said, no you can't. I'd also say don't even attempt to lie about being a student. Benefit fraud never looks good on a CV! Not saying you would do that, but it needs to be said just in case!
Reply 13
Original post by Sternumator

erm no. Interest is HARAAAAMMM. Hence y i ddnt take the loan :wink:

and also its not a mater of immediate need, i think itd b useful to hav a tidy sum over the nex yer..:smile:

Neggin will only make me stronger neggers ;-)
Reply 14
Original post by Aisha M

Shame it doesn't make your use of the English language stronger.

No, as a continuing student (who is not a parent etc) you will not be allowed to claim JSA.

Applying for it and not telling them you're a student would be fraud.

As you're so against haram, you should also be against fraud.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
So the interest on the tuition fee loan isn't haram?

It confuses me how borrowing money with a low interest rate is bad, yet accepting it for free from the government is perfectly fine.
Original post by Aisha M
erm no. Interest is HARAAAAMMM. Hence y i ddnt take the loan :wink:

and also its not a mater of immediate need, i think itd b useful to hav a tidy sum over the nex yer..:smile:

Ye but they have negative real interest rates so the government are paying you to borrow money off them.
If you are looking for jobs, I'd strongly suggest getting someone literate to edit your CV for you.
Ye but they have negative real interest rates so the government are paying you to borrow money off them.

Isn't it just inflation?:s-smilie:
yes you can.

Quick Reply