The Student Room Group

exam failure :( first year law with 2:2 or 3rd ?

I've had my university exams. I think they went really really bad I just panicked and even the stuff I had revised just wouldn't come to me and my mind went blank. In contract we had to answer 3 questions but due to stress and panic I just answered 2

I know it is my fault entirely. I have worked so hard and then in the exam hall I screw things up e.g for misrepresentation I knew about 20 cases and in the exam i couldn't even remember one! I spent ages trying to remember a single case but it wouldn't come to me at all.

So due to my bad performance if I do get a 2.2 or 3rd this year is there still a chance I can become a solicitor ? I know for TC they look at 1st year results but is there a way of applying after 2nd year ? Right now I feel like a failure and want to quit
It happens to a fair number of people. Its only first year. Obviously not ideal for getting vac schemes but not the end of the world either, I don't know how your uni marks things but you should still be able to get a 2:1 at the end.

Hopefully you will be able to use what you learnt (don't overcomplicate things; keep it simple; practice LOTS OF EXAM QUESTIONS BEFORE THE EXAM) to do better next time.
Reply 2
If you are at a Uni that requires you to remember cases there are techniques to making the memorisation part of it easier.

For instance, my favourite was this:

Write a list of cases and statutes you think you will need to rely upon. Right the list in the order in which you expect to use them. Leave a gap between each discipline...22 cases for Acceptance, gap, 23 cases for Offer, gap, 25 cases for Consideration. etc.

Now write the list over and over again from 48 hours before the exam, type the list, write the list, read the list, and just keep doing it.

You will quickly realise that as time goes past, you are able to write more and more of the list without resorting to looking at the original list. Eventually you will be able to write a list of 70 cases without any thought at all, don't stop there, just keep doing it.

When you get in the exam, don't read the questions, don't even look at them, if you are not allowed to write from the start, just wait. Think the list through in your mind if you have time to kill.

As soon as you can write notes, write out the entire list. Do it before you even look at the first question.

You now have a list of 70 cases/statutes to use in the exam and no longer have to try and remember cases while considering the 5 different various issues involved in whether Bob's contract with BuildingCowboysLtd has the relevant consideration.

Worked for me every time.

This technique will be harder if you are one of those people that actually knows nothing about the Law you are studying until 3 days before the exam, because you haven't bothered to do any work for the previous 12 weeks, since you need that time to actually learn what you need to know. If you are the type of person that knows the law and is just struggling trying to remember all the cases or statutes (or even journal articles) then this technique is very useful.
Reply 3
If you can, choose to do more essay questions and less problem questions. It's less stressful on the day as you can prepare your arguments in advance and tailor them to the question.
Reply 4
A friend of mine achieved a 3rd in his first year of university and went on to secure a TC before he started the LPC. However, he did supplement his grades with some good extra-curricular activities in his second year and some informal work experience placements.

At the end of the day it is only your first year. I got a 2.2 in my first year and still managed to graduate with a high 2.1. Learn from your mistakes this year!
Reply 5
I got a 3rd in the first year and ended up less than 1% from a first. Vac schemes may be tricky, but knuckle down for the next two years and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending