The Student Room Group

UEA (Norwich) Medicine Applicants 2013

Welcome to the official UEA (A100) thread for 2013 entry!

The application process

For September 2013 entry

All applicants must have a minimum of six GCSE (or equivalent) passes at grade A or above to include English, Maths and two Science subjects. GCSE short courses are not accepted.

If you are a European or International applicant we require that you include details of formal qualifications taken up to age 16, together with current/completed studies on your UCAS form.

A Levels

AAA to include Biology/Human Biology and one other science plus AS level grade B in a 4th subject

Second science subject from Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics or Further Mathematics.

NB. Combinations of Mathematics and Further Mathematics not accepted at A2/AS level. We are looking for 4 separate subjects, three at full A level and one at AS as a minimum. We consider Mathematics and Further Mathematics as one subject area.

General Studies and Critical Thinking not accepted at A2 or AS level.

UEA medical school does not set a minimum score for the UKCAT entry exam. UKCAT scores are considered alongside academic achievements and the personal statement and a low score will not automatically rule a candidate out from consideration if the rest of their application is strong.

The interview for the UEA 5 year course is OSCE style with 7 ‘stations’ to circulate round. Each station lasts approximately 6 minutes and outside each ‘booth’ is a piece of paper giving candidates the first question in the station, then they will meet the individual interviewer who will ask additional questions based on their response to the first. Interview panel members consist of academic/lecturing staff and clinicians. Two of the stations involve a scenario, one on the subject of empathy and the support provided by the medical school and the other an ethical scenario where you should demonstrate your ability to consider both sides of the argument.

Talk about everything related to the University of East Anglia here!
Good luck everyone! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey all. Just to say I will be adding the link to this thread to the 2013 Index in the medical schools subforum. Good luck everyone. :smile:
Reply 2
Just me then? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by A_C
Just me then? :smile:

Yay someone joined! Welcome to the UEA thread :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by EternalDoom
Yay someone joined! Welcome to the UEA thread :biggrin:

Are you an applicant? I'm definitely applying, hopefully some more people will see this thread & join!
Hoping to apply, Reapplicant so already have the grades, whats the interview like does anyone know ?? :P
Reply 6
Original post by KeepMovingForward
Hoping to apply, Reapplicant so already have the grades, whats the interview like does anyone know ?? :P

They use multiple mini interviews. 2 of which I think are scenario-based, and the others I believe are a mixture of looking at personal statement, why medicine etc etc

Not too sure, but definitely something along those lines
Original post by A_C
They use multiple mini interviews. 2 of which I think are scenario-based, and the others I believe are a mixture of looking at personal statement, why medicine etc etc

Not too sure, but definitely something along those lines

Ohh right thats OK, thanks :smile: do you know how they use UKCAT?? :smile:
Reply 8
Apparently they "assess the application as a whole".
But they take it into account when making last-minute choices between applicants very close together in other aspects.
Doesn't sound too bad, especially since I'm dreading my UKCAT :frown:
Original post by A_C
Apparently they "assess the application as a whole".
But they take it into account when making last-minute choices between applicants very close together in other aspects.
Doesn't sound too bad, especially since I'm dreading my UKCAT :frown:

Me too, when you sitting yours??
Reply 10
Original post by KeepMovingForward
Me too, when you sitting yours??

31st, this friday:s-smilie:
I'm finally starting to feel ok about AR, it's just the timing on QR thats getting me. When's yours?
Original post by A_C
31st, this friday:s-smilie:
I'm finally starting to feel ok about AR, it's just the timing on QR thats getting me. When's yours?

Mines Friday as well at 11, Yeah I'm the same just doing the practise tests over and over til then :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Original post by A_C
Are you an applicant? I'm definitely applying, hopefully some more people will see this thread & join!

Yup I am an applicant :smile:

Information about the UEA selection procedures and interview system have been added to the first post.
Reply 13
Original post by EternalDoom
Yup I am an applicant :smile:

Information about the UEA selection procedures and interview system have been added to the first post.

Hi, just a quick note to say The information posted on the selection process and interviews is now outdated. The selection process is now slightly different.

Also, the Number of scenario based interview stations has changed and the theme(s) may be different.

All relevant information for the application process can be found on the Norwich medical school website.
Reply 14
Original post by UEAMedic
Hi, just a quick note to say The information posted on the selection process and interviews is now outdated. The selection process is now slightly different.

Also, the Number of scenario based interview stations has changed and the theme(s) may be different.

All relevant information for the application process can be found on the Norwich medical school website.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know that was outdated.
It's just that their website: http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/medicine-health-policy-and-practice/mbbs-medicine doesn't provide much information on their selection procedures.
Reply 15
Can anyone tell me what UEA's selection procedures are?
Reply 16
I've been asked to make you all aware that the entry criteria for 2012/13 have changed slightly.

In essence for school leavers it is 6 A's at GCSE / equivalent qualifications (including maths, english & 2 science subjects) plus AAA at A level including biology and one other science subject.

All relevant information regarding the application process can be found at http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/medicine-health-policy-and-practice/mbbs-medicine#requirements

Please note there is an FAQ section at the bottom of this page which should answer most questions about the application process.
Reply 17
I want to apply but I'm unsure my GCSES are good enough, I got 2A*s and 5 As so meet their 6 A requirement, but I'm worried they'll give priority to those with 6 A*s :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by Siccatron
I want to apply but I'm unsure my GCSES are good enough, I got 2A*s and 5 As so meet their 6 A requirement, but I'm worried they'll give priority to those with 6 A*s :frown:

My GCSE's are pretty much the same, and I was told mine were fine to apply there with (by UEA admissions). I don't think their GCSE-centered at all, just as long as you meet the minimum you'll be ok!
Reply 19
Original post by UEAMedic
I've been asked to make you all aware that the entry criteria for 2012/13 have changed slightly.

In essence for school leavers it is 6 A's at GCSE / equivalent qualifications (including maths, english & 2 science subjects) plus AAA at A level including biology and one other science subject.

All relevant information regarding the application process can be found at http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/medicine-health-policy-and-practice/mbbs-medicine#requirements

Please note there is an FAQ section at the bottom of this page which should answer most questions about the application process.

It still doesn't give enough information on how they short-list candidates for interview, e.g. how much emphasis is placed on each of GCSE, A-levels, UKCAT, PS, references, interview....and which is the most important, I mean as far as I can assume from their website, they look at everything equally, is this right?

Quick Reply

Latest