The Student Room Group

fluteflute's bumper thread of Oxford admissions statistics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
Mmm, I've been lying all this time, and actually got rejected...

I don't know what you mean. Which university rejected you?
Reply 161
Some interesting random GCSE statistics...

For the average Oxford offer holder, 78.4% of their GCSEs are A*s. Fine Art is on the bottom (49.8%) by over 10%. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Medicine is at the top with 92.2% on average.

Now looking at A and A*. The average is 96.3%. The range is much narrower, with 87.2% for Philosophy and Theology on the bottom, going up to 100% for Physics and Philosophy (meaning all eleven people who took over five GCSEs and got into Oxford this year had all A/A*...).

As always, please remember that these are just averages, and there are lots of people who get in with significantly less top grades.
Oxford doesn't want your UMS scores right ??
Reply 163
Original post by Roshniroxy
Oxford doesn't want your UMS scores right ??
Correct [although off topic]
Correct [although off topic]

sorry and thank you ! I didn't know where exactly to post this and didn't want to create a whole new thread. It's just because I read somewhere on TSR just a few moments before posting this that Oxford wants to know UMS which scared me a little bit :/
x

How could I find out how many students each Oxford college takes for Law?
Reply 166
Original post by Cutmeloose
How could I find out how many students each Oxford college takes for Law?

Usually a college's website has the average intake on each subject page. Just google '___ college oxford law' and it should be the first link. Alternatively this page shows numbers across all years (so dividing by 3 or 4 would give an idea).
Let me hijack this thread with some statistics of long ago.

These are the number of applications per college in 1981

Scanned at 03-11-2012 11-59 (2).jpg
Reply 168
Ah... Oh no... Why did I apply to Brasenose with its '700%' oversubscribedness.
Original post by brstc

You have applied to somewhere with a 19% chance of getting into Oxford and where if you are interviewed you have a 33% chance of getting into Oxford. That compares with the average of a 20% chance of admission for all applicants and a 33% chance for interviewed applicants (stats courtesy of Fluteflute). In other words your application is boringly average.
Original post by brstc

Excellent choice there - we're awesome :biggrin:

I wouldn't worry about it - I applied to a college that is less oversubscribed than Brasenose and somehow still ended up getting reallocated there pre-interview! Really, anything can happen.
Hello!

sorry if you do actually have this info somewhere in the thread, but do you have any data on the aptitude tests, specifically the MAT if possible? The averages on the website are only so much... Things like ranges for those who get a place, highest score that was rejected from interview, highest score that was rejected a place?

Need to while away the weeks till we find out...
Reply 172
Original post by Cellar Door
Hello!

sorry if you do actually have this info somewhere in the thread, but do you have any data on the aptitude tests, specifically the MAT if possible? The averages on the website are only so much... Things like ranges for those who get a place, highest score that was rejected from interview, highest score that was rejected a place?

I don't think that info is available for the MAT. FWIW, PAT tends to have a mean score of ~50 and standard deviation ~15 IIRC. For MAT, highest score rejected before interview probably tends to be around 50, since that's usually the approximate cut-off. Ranges for those who get a place wouldn't be very helpful due to likely exceptions at either end of the spectrum (I'd imagine ~50 to high 90s). I recall a mathmo on TSR saying someone from his school was rejected with a low-80s score. Ultimately all we can do now is do our best at interview, if invited.
Original post by Cellar Door
Hello!

I don't have any data on that (and I took the ELAT anyway) but the test was out of 60 and I got 42, which was in the second lowest band ("may not be called to interview unless there is convincing evidence to suggest otherwise") and still got a place. :smile:
Great, thanks :smile: I didn't expect there to be anything that specific, but it's nice to have some idea
Reply 175
Reply 176
Original post by Tuerin
Thanks for this. I've been re-allocated to a PPH, which according to your request is ~55% undersubscribed - does this stand true once re-allocations and pooling has taken place, and does this actually mean that there are more places available than applicants?!
It doesn't include "pooling". Essentially if the tutors think you are capable of being successful on the course you will get a place. If they don't, the fact you've been allocated to a PPH will make no difference. Good luck :smile:

Getting in reduces your interest too :tongue:
Reply 177
Original post by Tuerin
Haha, cool meme. So do you mean that if they think you would be suited to Oxford a PPH will definitely have a place for you - (as opposed to elsewhere where you can be good enough but turned away all the same due to over-application) ?

Thanks again for the table.
I'm afraid there's not a clear answer to that. (And I admit to not being at all knowledgeable about PPHs.)
Hundreds of applicants each year will be suited to Oxford and places at PPHs due to reallocations fill up surprisingly quickly, despite being initially undersubscribed at the stage of applications. Also, even if you interview at another college/PPH they may still reject you. Your college may recognise you as Oxford standard but that doesn't mean another college will definitely want you. Overall advice: try not to read into anything too much or closely analyse what is ultimate going to be a guessing game. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 179
Ifanyone fancies looking at vast quantities of statistics on all sorts of fascinating things, take a look at http://economics.ouls.ox.ac.uk/13935/1/uuid0e9cf555-a921-4134-baf4-ce7114795f36-THESIS02.pdf There is so much information in that report!

Another interesting report: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ImportedImages/kli/staff/zimdars-sullivan-heath-2009.pdf

To quote Wikipedia (I've just been looking at some of these sources, and I believe what is said below reflects the reports):

The Oxford Admissions Study was a research project setup to investigate access issues, in which data was collected on 2,000 students who applied to the University in 2002, including exam results from the universities they went on to attend.[94] A number of reports were published based on this data. It was found that, if anything, admissions tutors treat applicants from state schools more favourably than applicants from private schools with the same attainment.[95][96] The research also suggested that this discounting was justified as private school students need higher grades at entry to do as well as their state school educated peers in final university examinations.[97] It was found found that cultural knowledge beyond the school curriculum, linked highly to reading habbits, was a good indicator for whether arts subjects would gain a place. Constrastingly, participation in cultural activities such as visiting museums, art galleries, classical concerts and ballet made no difference.[98]

Quick Reply

Latest