The Student Room Group

Beck's Cognitive Triad

Could one of you lovely people please explain to me Beck's Cognitive Triad Of Depression and give me an example so I can understand it? I have Googled a-plenty but everything I find either is too vague or it's far too complicated and academic for me to understand! I like nice simplistic examples :p:

Thanks!
Reply 1
Beck's Cognitive Triad is basically 3 beliefs cause depression and affect each other. These things are negative views of the self, negative views of the world and negative views of the future.

For example, a person fails an exam:

Negative view of self - "I'm a failure"
Negative view of the world - "Everyone is against me"
Negative view of the future - "I'll never be good at anything"

The view of the self in this case could affect the view of the future as they don't believe they can change. Alternatively they may believe that because everyone is against them (negative view of the world) that makes them a failure.

I'm not sure if that made any sense but let me know if you need any more help.
Hey. here are some of my notes that i found on the topic;;

Beck’s theory of depressions suggests that depression comes from negative thinking. The negative triad consists of; negative views of yourself, negative views of the future and negative views of the world. These views come from negative schemas that have built up throughout childhood consisting of past experiences in practical and emotional events. This may include parental criticism, criticism from teachers and family members and peer rejection. This theory links with the social learning / behavioural approach. If a new experience represents negative schemas then it will trigger those thoughts. People begin to over-generalise the negative views and this is known as catastrophise, cognitive biased. This theory has been used in successful therapies of depression, such as found by Butler and Beck, 2000; who reviewed 14 meta-analyses investigating the effectiveness of Beck’s cognitive therapy and found 80% of adults benefited from the therapy. It’s more successful than drug therapy.
Reply 3
Hello there ,

Does anyone have a diagramatic representation for the cbt model of depression -- by Beck ?

Cheers ,
Reply 4
whats date was Becks triad

Quick Reply