The Student Room Group

Transferring University for clinical years?

I know that students at St Andrews, Oxford and Cambridge can transfer to any uni for clinical years but is that exclusive to the 3 Unis or do any other med schools have partnerships with other med schools to allow transfers?

I'm curious because I met a Kings medic once and she said she did her pre-clinicals in Birmingham and moved to kings after.
Reply 1
Original post by Notsocleverstudent
I know that students at St Andrews, Oxford and Cambridge can transfer to any uni for clinical years but is that exclusive to the 3 Unis or do any other med schools have partnerships with other med schools to allow transfers?

I'm curious because I met a Kings medic once and she said she did her pre-clinicals in Birmingham and moved to kings after.

Yes, you can do it in exceptional circumstances with extenuating circumstances usually.

The St Andrews lot have a deal with Manchester; Oxbridge and London have a scheme as well.
Original post by digitalis
Yes, you can do it in exceptional circumstances with extenuating circumstances usually.

The St Andrews lot have a deal with Manchester; Oxbridge and London have a scheme as well.

Ah right, that's quite interesting. Thank you.

What would be an example of an extenuating circumstance that would allow one to transfer?
Reply 3
St Andrews students normally go to (in order of most places 1st) Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen or Dundee. A couple go to Cambridge each year. Rumour has it that a few used to go to London but I don't think that has happened in recent years AFAIK. Everybody leaves St Andrews for clinicals.

If you wanted to go elsewhere for clinicals I think you'd need special circumstances as to why you have to live in a particular city e.g. long term medical treatment for chronic condition that can only be done in a certain city, children, a partner with a medical problem as above etc etc (these were some of the reasons listed as 'special circumstances' when we were being allocated for clinicals - according to the admin lady allocating people they are the same as those for when you apply for jobs as a Dr but no idea if this is true). Pretty sure financial reasons weren't accepted.

Outwith St Andrews, even if you have special circumstances, it depends on whether the med school will accept transfers and whether the course is compatible.

It is possible, but I would imagine quite rare.

OP are you thinking of transferring?
(edited 12 years ago)
St As ---> scotland, manc, camb
Ox/Camb --> Ox/Camb, london, edinburgh
london/others --> camb

are the standard transfer routes AFAIK, some more common than others. I think all others would be more difficult to arrange and case-by-case basis with some being absolutely impossible due to course structures.
King's College London have a quota of 2 students to transfer into their course. It's separate from Oxbridge so I don't know who it is aimed at?
Reply 6
Original post by Notsocleverstudent

As the others have said, St Andrew's, Ox and Camb have special arrangements.

As for students at other medical schools, transfering for clinicals is more common than many people might think. Two of my friends transfered from Manc at the end of 2nd year - one went to sheffield and the other to cardiff. My friend who went to sheffield wanted to move in with her boyfriend and based her application on the fact that commuting was too expensive! My mate who went to cardiff had some family problems.
Original post by theatrical
As the others have said, St Andrew's, Ox and Camb have special arrangements.

As for students at other medical schools, transfering for clinicals is more common than many people might think. Two of my friends transfered from Manc at the end of 2nd year - one went to sheffield and the other to cardiff. My friend who went to sheffield wanted to move in with her boyfriend and based her application on the fact that commuting was too expensive! My mate who went to cardiff had some family problems.

That's wonderful to hear, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending