The Student Room Group

Studio Ghibli Society - Discuss some of the most enchanting films ever made here!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
I love them all...even though I haven't seen all that was listed. The whole concept is just so mesmerising and beautiful. A true art form in it's every right. I prefer english subtitles along with the original voices, as it feels more authentic (plus you learn a phrase or two in Japanese!) however sometimes the anime and graphics of the whole anime is just so good and has so much depth in it that you have to get sucked into it, and it would help a tiny if the dubbing was really accurate, believable and doesn't disturb the anime. :cool: I've just practically joined the student room and this was the first group I've joined. :biggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kwpQG7k2zU
Reply 901
I bought Arrietty the other day and it came today! :biggrin: I've already watched it and it's pretty good, it's got more of a 'traditional' ghibli feel than ponyo but it's a shame it wasn't directed by Miyazaki :frown: Anyone else got it? :smile:
Original post by pongalo
I bought Arrietty the other day and it came today! :biggrin: I've already watched it and it's pretty good, it's got more of a 'traditional' ghibli feel than ponyo but it's a shame it wasn't directed by Miyazaki :frown: Anyone else got it? :smile:

I haven't seen it yet :frown: Hope it's in HMV next time i go there it looks pretty good :biggrin:
Reply 903
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
I haven't seen it yet :frown: Hope it's in HMV next time i go there it looks pretty good :biggrin:

I got it online for 11.99 cos i couldnt see it in my hmv so it migtht be better to order it :smile: I thought it was worth it but i wasnt too keen on the ending, i wont go into anymore detail until you've seen it. Do you know how to do spoilers?
Reply 904
Original post by priya8D
I love them all...even though I haven't seen all that was listed. The whole concept is just so mesmerising and beautiful. A true art form in it's every right. I prefer english subtitles along with the original voices, as it feels more authentic (plus you learn a phrase or two in Japanese!) however sometimes the anime and graphics of the whole anime is just so good and has so much depth in it that you have to get sucked into it, and it would help a tiny if the dubbing was really accurate, believable and doesn't disturb the anime. :cool: I've just practically joined the student room and this was the first group I've joined. :biggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kwpQG7k2zU

for some reason in whisper of the heart when they sing that country road song with the mispronounced 'r' it really gets me. Much more in the subbed version.

I was impressed by the quality of the dubs though, overall.
I rewatched my neighbour totoro and the cat returns the other day, I hadn't seen them in ages :')
Original post by pongalo
I got it online for 11.99 cos i couldnt see it in my hmv so it migtht be better to order it :smile: I thought it was worth it but i wasnt too keen on the ending, i wont go into anymore detail until you've seen it. Do you know how to do spoilers?

I've watched it now :h:! It wasn't as good as i expected it to be though. I liked the start of it though because it reminded me of Spirited Away a bit. I thought something would happen with the boy because of his heart though, but nothing. No, i don't know how to do spoilers sorry :/
Reply 907
I love all of the Ghibli movies, especially Totoro,kiki,and grave of the fireflies!
Having now seen Nausicaä, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, Totoro, Spirited Way, Laputa, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, and Arrietty, my favourite would have to be Spirited Away.
Original post by Ftn of Knowledge
Having now seen Nausicaä, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, Totoro, Spirited Way, Laputa, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, and Arrietty, my favourite would have to be Spirited Away.
Great choice. :h:

Spoiler

Reply 910
Hi there all!

Huuuuuuge Ghibli fan here, hoping to go to the museum in Tokyo one day. My favourites probably include Arrietty, Pom Poko, My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, The Cat Returns, Whisper of the Heart, Princess Mononoke and Laputa: Castle in the Sky. They are all good in their own way though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 911
Original post by Delain
Hi there all!

Huuuuuuge Ghibli fan here, hoping to go to the museum in Tokyo one day. My favourites probably include Arrietty, Pom Poko, My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, The Cat Returns, Whisper of the Heart, Princess Mononoke and Laputa: Castle in the Sky. They are all good in their own way though.

Mention them all why dont you :rolleyes: :smile:
I had the joy of going to the museum a week last friday, and it was the highlight of my trip to japan :biggrin: so make some excuse and get out there!!! :tongue: but be prepared to spend quite a bit in the gift shop!
I love all the films but i'd have to say my top few are: The Cat Returns, Whisper of the Heart, My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service...but they're only just my favourites :smile:
Reply 912
Original post by pongalo
I had the joy of going to the museum a week last friday, and it was the highlight of my trip to japan :biggrin: so make some excuse and get out there!!! :tongue: but be prepared to spend quite a bit in the gift shop!
I love all the films but i'd have to say my top few are: The Cat Returns, Whisper of the Heart, My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service...but they're only just my favourites :smile:

Did you watch Treasure Hunt? :smile:
Reply 913
Original post by pongalo

Nope because I don't like My Neighbours the Yamadas, Only Yesterday or Grave of the Fireflies. :P
Reply 914
Original post by Aiko
Did you watch Treasure Hunt? :smile:

Nope, i think the one i watched was "waterspider monmon". It was quite odd but i loved it :biggrin:

Original post by Delain
Nope because I don't like My Neighbours the Yamadas, Only Yesterday or Grave of the Fireflies. :P

Fair does! I've never seen My Neighbours the Yamadas and i can see where you're coming from with the other two. I'd like Only Yesterday more if it was dubbed into English as i wouldnt have to try and read the english and try and listen to the japanese lol my mind just doesnt think that quickly!
I loved Arrietty :smile: Not such a Ponyo fan. It's really hard to choose a favourite between Howl's Moving Castle & Totoro... :smile:
Reply 916
Original post by pongalo
Nope, i think the one i watched was "waterspider monmon". It was quite odd but i loved it :biggrin:

How strange, they normally screen their latest short. I remember watching this at the museum back in 06.
Reply 917
Just watched Howls Moving Castle yesterday, I must say one of the most impossibly happy and fun anime films I've ever seen, reminds me so much of Spirited Away.
Reply 918
Original post by Aiko
How strange, they normally screen their latest short. I remember watching this at the museum back in 06.

I wasnt too sure which one to expect but i searched online when i got back and had a look at all the films and im assuming it was the one i watched as it was about a water spider falling in love with a water boats-woman
Reply 919
You'd so watch this wouldnt you.:tongue:

Quick Reply