The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Soft-a level

What are the soft-a level subject best avoided for LSE, and what about the subject that they would prefer if such list existed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Furench

oh god, did I just post that...
(edited 12 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
You are better off doing subjects like the sciences (Maths, FM, Chemistry, Bio, Physics) and traditional arts subjects (Economics, Foreign Languages, History, English Lit.) not just for LSE but almost any other top universities over 'soft' subjects like Business, Accounting, Sociology, Media etc...

Ironically, LSE does degrees in History and Sociology and doesn't actually require you to do A-Levels in History and Sociology for the course.
Reply 4
Don't do things like: Media Studies, General Studies, English LANGUAGE, Sociology, Law, etc.
Reply 5
I thought economics and history are too consider as a "soft-subject".
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by harlow_maide
What are the soft-a level subject best avoided for LSE, and what about the subject that they would prefer if such list existed?

The term "soft subject" is a a little misleading,as it suggest such subjects are easy. It's not that they are necessarily easy, Art A-level is known for being quite challenging, more that they are often not paricularly suitable or necessary. Less preferred or non-preferred is probably a better term.

LSE say this (taken from their website)

LSE
The School considers not only the subjects offered by applicants at A level (A2) and AS level, but also the combination of them. Certain subjects are considered by our admissions tutors to be a more effective preparation for studying at LSE. Admissions Tutors will normally consider one of the subjects listed as 'non-preferred' below only if it is offered in combination with two generally preferred subjects. For example, Mathematics, French and Economics would be a suitable combination for almost any of our degrees. Mathematics, French and Business would be acceptable, but we would prefer the first example. On the other hand, Mathematics, Accounting and Media Studies would not normally be considered as suitable as this combination includes two subjects on the 'non-preferred' list below. You should also note that we are less concerned with subject combinations at AS level.

Successful applicants normally offer three A levels (A2s) in our generally preferred subjects, or two generally preferred subjects and one from the following list of subjects that are 'non-preferred.' The list is regularly reviewed by Admissions Tutors:

■Accounting
■Art and Design
■Business Studies
■Communication Studies
■Design and Technology
■Drama/Theatre Studies
■Home Economics
■Information and Communication Technology
■Law
■Media Studies
■Music Technology
■Sports Studies
■Travel and Tourism
An A level (or equivalent) in your first/native language may not be counted.

Please note the following points:

Drama and Theatre Studies:

The Departments of Anthropology, International History, International Relations, Social Policy and Sociology consider Drama and Theatre Studies equally with other generally preferred subjects. They will therefore consider Drama and Theatre Studies alongside one other subject from the non-preferred list.

However, the majority of departments continue to feel that Drama and Theatre Studies is not appropriate or relevant in content to their degree programmes and still consider it to be 'non-preferred.'

Music Technology:
Music Technology is regarded as a non-preferred A level subject. However the School does accept A level Music as a generally preferred subject.

Business Studies:
Whilst not necessarily perceived as the best preparation, due to its vocational content, a number of applicants offering Business Studies alongside two other generally preferred subjects like Maths or English, do receive offers from LSE every year. However, the combination of Business Studies and Economics as two separate A levels is best avoided.

Accounting and Law:
As with Business Studies, students offering either Accounting or Law as one of their A level subjects should not be put off from applying to LSE, as depending on their overall academic profile, they made be made an offer.

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/lseEntryRequirements.aspx

In addition to this, General Studies and Critical Thinking are not included in offers.

History and Economics certainly are not soft A-levels.
Reply 7
good to know, because some of my friends told me that history is a soft subject or more likely to be included in 2012.
Reply 8
I did economics AND business studies at A-level, alongside 2 other "traditional" subjects. so 4 subjects in total. I did get an offer from LSE but it excluded business studies.
Reply 9
if i did, Business and econimincs (as one), Maths, English and Computing
or should i do Economics, ICT, maths and english
I did History, English Language, Chemistry and ICT at AS level - I am currently an offer holder for Law (M100). ICT is on LSE's 'blacklist', but I suppose it didn't matter as my other three subjects were traditional, academic subjects.
Reply 11
I'm doing Film Studies, Chemistry and History and I got an offer for their Anthropology course. Since everyone's gonna have the same high calibre of academic standard, the PS is much more important really
Will my A-levels be okay? Biology, Maths, History and Classics?
I have 2 essay subjects and 2 logical subjects, so does that give me a varied choice?
Original post by lucymcgonigle
I have 2 essay subjects and 2 logical subjects, so does that give me a varied choice?

Varying is good, but having two sciences and two essay based subjects isn't the best thing to do since if you want to do a science based degree only 2 science a levels will limit your application, and if you want to do an essay based degree two essay based a levels will limit your application.

You should decide which type of subject you want to do at uni, that is if you are applying to uni, and then if it is science based do 3 sciences and 1 essay based subject, and if it is essay based 3 essay based subjects and 1 science!
Original post by GreenLantern1
Varying is good, but having two sciences and two essay based subjects isn't the best thing to do since if you want to do a science based degree only 2 science a levels will limit your application, and if you want to do an essay based degree two essay based a levels will limit your application.

You should decide which type of subject you want to do at uni, that is if you are applying to uni, and then if it is science based do 3 sciences and 1 essay based subject, and if it is essay based 3 essay based subjects and 1 science!

Hmm, good point :/. If I had to say, I do prefer History and those areas. I also want to be a teacher?
Original post by GreenLantern1

Well, teaching is the only career I've considered, if not that I really don't have a clue at this point.
Well, teaching is the only career I've considered, if not that I really don't have a clue at this point.

Teaching in what though?
Reply 17
If you have two soft subject are you likely to get rejected ?

Those A levels are completely fine!
You have no need to worry AT ALL, ignore anyone who tells you to change them.
You've got a great balance and no weak subjects, good luck :smile:
Original post by Monkeysuit.
Those A levels are completely fine!
You have no need to worry AT ALL, ignore anyone who tells you to change them.
You've got a great balance and no weak subjects, good luck :smile:

Thank you, I will take the other opinion into account as it's a good point but I thought they were okay too.

Quick Reply