The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Fallowfield accomodation!

Hey, looking to stay in fallowfeild this september.. I really want an ensuite room so been looking into Sheavyn house and Richmond park. What do you think of these halls in terms of social life? I want to be a good party place. The only thing putting me off Oak House is that there is no ensuite... is the social life there really worth the sacrifice of an ensuite?
Also, what are these halls like in terms of cleanliness, size etc?
And, does anyone know roughly how many people you share kitchen ect with in these halls?!
Need your honest advice! Thank you!
Reply 1
Hi :smile:
I am looking to live in Fallowfield this september too, hopefully Oak house as the others are a bit expensive for me. I have a friend who stayed in Oak House last year and she tells me it was quite basic but sufficient. 8 people stay in a flat so they all share the kitchen and then there is a bathroom for 4 girls and a bathroom for 4 boys.
Hope this helps!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
IMHO an en suite isn't worth the extra money - as Igribben2 says, you'll only share a bathroom between 4 in OH, there's a cleaner to clean it (unlike with en suites) and you get free loo roll. I've never found it to be in a disgusting condition; by far the worst thing I've ever found in there was a comatose (but non-vomiting!) flatmate - so not that bad at all really. The £20 a week or so extra is much better spent on feeding yourself - that's almost my entire food budget for the week.

In terms of cleanliness, it varies by which flatmates you have - some appear to live in quagmire, some are almost spotless, and most strike a happy medium. In OH, you share a kitchen with 7 other people.
Reply 3
Bear in mind en suite is in high demand. I lived in whitworth park and I knew a fair few people who had applied to all en suites and ended up in my block.
Reply 4
Original post by harmony23
Bear in mind en suite is in high demand. I lived in whitworth park and I knew a fair few people who had applied to all en suites and ended up in my block.

This. Dont get your hopes too high!!

A note about the uni social life. Wherever you end up if you want a social life you will get one.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone - thats a great help!
Think I may just give up my ensuite and go for Oak house! Thanks for the advice x
Hey guys,

Does anyone know how many showers are shared between the four people?

Also, are all the flats mixed gender?

If anyone could post a picture or two of their room etc it would be so helpful! Please?!
Original post by alex_coleman
Hey guys,

Does anyone know how many showers are shared between the four people?

Also, are all the flats mixed gender?

If anyone could post a picture or two of their room etc it would be so helpful! Please?!

If you're talking about Oak House, then there's one shower, one bath with shower over the top, and two toilets between 8 (so effectively 1 shower between 4).

I think all the flats are mixed gender, although I have heard a couple of rumours of a single sex flat. Not sure if it's true, and I definitely wouldn't count on it.

There's lots of photos of different UoM accommodation in this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1944016
Reply 8
is a sink in the room worth an extra 10 quid a week?
Original post by Haslamk

No. It's about three metres from my room to my shared sinks (Oak House). I'm never in that much of a rush to clean my teeth.
Original post by Haslamk

I have one, and I wouldn't bother having one again tbh - it's not that much of a hassle to walk 3m to the bathroom.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending