The Student Room Group

Journalism Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oggz
What are the best courses to do for scientific journalism?

This is the only one I've come across (though I haven't been looking for them, to be fair)... Since it's science-specific and at Imperial, I imagine it'd be rather good. It also seems to cover a lot of other stuff, not just journalism, so would leave your career options more open too...
Reply 121
The Open University's MSc in Science and Society will be excellent as it looks at the OU's own methods of educating the nation in science.
Hello!

I'm taking the NCTJ aptitude test tomorrow via. Brighton's Journalist Works, but I have no idea how it works really so I'm just hoping I do OK.

I was just wondering how people recommend getting work experience? I've applied to big national magazines (wasn't expecting much to be honest), I'm about to start writing for my uni magazine, and I'm writing some articles for the launch of my friend's website. What else would you recommend I do? I really really want a career in journalism so I want to make sure I stand the best possible chance!
Reply 123
Who wants group leader? I'm going to be leaving the group.
I don't want to be leader, but thought it'd be nice to revive this thread a little as it's a bit dead!

I have some exciting news - I went to News Associates last Monday for an interview and entrance exam, and I managed to get an offer (despite not even feeling like I did that well!)... So I'll be starting their NCTJ Fast-Track Journalism Diploma in September :biggrin:
Original post by mimimimi
I don't want to be leader, but thought it'd be nice to revive this thread a little as it's a bit dead!

I have some exciting news - I went to News Associates last Monday for an interview and entrance exam, and I managed to get an offer (despite not even feeling like I did that well!)... So I'll be starting their NCTJ Fast-Track Journalism Diploma in September :biggrin:

Well done!
Hi everyone :wavey:

I'm interested in journalism and have done some in the past (in fact not too long ago). I was just wondering, does anyone know where I can do paid freelance work? And good websites, not scam ones?

Please quote me so that I can see your response. I need to know asap!

Thanks

:smile:
Original post by Dee Leigh
Well done!

Thanks :biggrin: Just need to sort out a placement now! Eep!
I feel like I've kinda lost my passion for journalism now. I got rejected from 2 prestigious training courses, and after that I've felt too deflated to carry on trying. I no longer feel inspired to update my blog much, nor do any more unpaid freelance writing work, and I've been feeling this way for ages now. Which is quite bad tbh cos I don't even really know what else I should do as a career :frown:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I feel like I've kinda lost my passion for journalism now. I got rejected from 2 prestigious training courses, and after that I've felt too deflated to carry on trying. I no longer feel inspired to update my blog much, nor do any more unpaid freelance writing work, and I've been feeling this way for ages now. Which is quite bad tbh cos I don't even really know what else I should do as a career :frown:

:console:
Original post by Dee Leigh
Hi everyone :wavey:

I'm interested in journalism and have done some in the past (in fact not too long ago). I was just wondering, does anyone know where I can do paid freelance work? And good websites, not scam ones?

Please quote me so that I can see your response. I need to know asap!

Thanks

:smile:

Anyone?
I'm going to be spending a week doing work experience with the books pages of The Times in the summer - really excited about it! - does anyone know what I should expect?
Hello!

I'm currently on an NCTJ course at Journalist Works in Brighton. If anyone would like to know anything about this specific course, or the NCTJ in general, from someone studying for it right now, feel free to ask me anything you like!

I also have a blog where I'm explaining what we're up to, if you want a taste of what it's like to train to be a journalist: http://soupdujournalism.wordpress.com

Reply 133
Original post by Quail
Hello!

I'm currently on an NCTJ course at Journalist Works in Brighton. If anyone would like to know anything about this specific course, or the NCTJ in general, from someone studying for it right now, feel free to ask me anything you like!

I also have a blog where I'm explaining what we're up to, if you want a taste of what it's like to train to be a journalist: http://soupdujournalism.wordpress.com

Well you're a busy bee aren't you! I've only recently found out about the NCTJ courses so I'm sure your blog is going to be useful for me and other people interested in them, so thanks :smile:

I have a question though - do you find it hard to delegate your time between your university work, blog posts and your NCTJ course? How do you manage to organise yourself? I'm sorry if you have already answered this question on your site!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Flan!
Well you're a busy bee aren't you! I've only recently found out about the NCTJ courses so I'm sure your blog is going to be useful for me and other people interested in them, so thanks :smile:

I have a question though - do you find it hard to delegate your time between your university work, blog posts and your NCTJ course? How do you manage to organise yourself? I'm sorry if you have already answered this question on your site!

Hello!

To be honest, when there was a crossover of a couple of weeks between finishing uni work and starting the NCTJ course, it was a bit of a nightmare. This particular course is quite intense too, as it's only 14 weeks long, but if I can manage it, anyone can! The blog posts only take about 15 minutes to bang together, so those are fine :smile:

Are you thinking of taking an NCTJ course then?
Spending a month in Edinburgh writing for the Fringe Fest ^____^

Original post by LeSacMagique
I'm going to be spending a week doing work experience with the books pages of The Times in the summer - really excited about it! - does anyone know what I should expect?

WOW! How did you get that!? That's amazing! Congrats!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Spending a month in Edinburgh writing for the Fringe Fest ^____^

WOW! How did you get that!? That's amazing! Congrats!

I'm actually doing this placement right now funnily enough :smile: There's this poetry translation competition that's sponsored by The Times, and I came second in it last year. The literary editor was at the prizegiving reception in London and I briefly met her there, so a few days later on a whim I sent her an email asking if there was any chance they'd have any work experience placements over the summer--turns out, they did!

I think there are more legit ways of getting in on it, though. Google a bit, I think there's an email address you can send applications to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Quail
Hello!

I applied for that same course last year but got rejected. They didn't even tell me why, which kinda sucks cos how am I supposed to know exactly how to move on from there? :frown: I'm guessing they either thought I couldn't handle it, my entrance exam results were crap, or they thought I wasn't passionate enough. Or all three.

I'm guessing you have to be super passionate and talented and always hard working to be a journalist, and I don't think I have those right qualities :sigh:. I do still quite like writing, but just got to find other ways of using it that would suit me better.

Good luck to you though. I had a quick look at your blog and you seem rather good at what you do :top:
I post this in the hope that this thread is not dead yet...

Anyway, I have a few questions that I hope you lot can answer :confused: . Here they are:

1) What website would you recommend to use for blogging?

2) What would be the best topic(s) to blog about?

3) Should I start building a portfolio from now, even though I will only start sixth form in September?

4) Would it be better to go for a BA in Newspaper Journalism or a BA in a single subject like English or History for example, and followed by a Postgraduates course in Journalism?

And, erm, thank you in advance. :smile:
Reply 139
Original post by KnowledgeHunter
I post this in the hope that this thread is not dead yet...

Anyway, I have a few questions that I hope you lot can answer :confused: . Here they are:

1) What website would you recommend to use for blogging?

2) What would be the best topic(s) to blog about?

3) Should I start building a portfolio from now, even though I will only start sixth form in September?

4) Would it be better to go for a BA in Newspaper Journalism or a BA in a single subject like English or History for example, and followed by a Postgraduates course in Journalism?

And, erm, thank you in advance. :smile:

1) It depends on your level of computer ability. Blogger and Wordpress are good because they are simple, and are the most popular.

2) Politics, travel, books, films, university. Most blogs are pretty boring because they're too wishy-washy and general. I'm not saying you have to do a specific topic solely, but include interesting and thought-provoking stuff, rather than just 'What it's like to be student'.

3) 'Don't be a writer. Be writing' (William Faulkner). If you want to write stuff, then write stuff. Keep a record in case you want to use it for university entrance, etc.

4) Do your undergraduate degree in English/History/whatever, and then do a postgrad in journalism. a) you might not want to be a journalist three years down the line, b) university should be about more than preparing you for a career, study something broader than journalism, and c) I've seen on and off record testimonials form employers/journalists stating that this route would be better.

Oh, and finally: don't do newspaper journalism specifically. Newspapers won't be around for much longer. If you have a course in Journalism, then you would be able to write for papers as well. If you have a course in Newspaper Journalism, the impression is that you wouldn't be able to write anything else. Not necessarily true, but that's the impression it gives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending