The Student Room Group

OCR AS Geography Unit 1 - F761 - 24 May 2012

Who else is taking the OCR AS Geography Managing Physical Environments paper tomorrow?

How does everyone feel about the exam?

Does anyone know what came up in january/ have any predictions for what is going to come up this time round?

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey i am also taking it tomorrow, if u get any info on the jan 2012 paper or predictions pls let me know :smile:
my teacher was saying it might be the 25 marks on the landform formations like it was in 2009 :smile:
Original post by lilac1234
my teacher was saying it might be the 25 marks on the landform formations like it was in 2009 :smile:

FFS
Hi everyone,

I'm also sitting the physical exam tomorrow but I am really stuck on what is needed to get a high mark for the 25 markers. the highest I've got so far is 14 but I have no idea on how to improve. I am practicing the River Environments ones. If anyone could help I would much appreciate it.

Thank You
Original post by PhatGirlSlim
Hi everyone,

I'm also sitting the physical exam tomorrow but I am really stuck on what is needed to get a high mark for the 25 markers. the highest I've got so far is 14 but I have no idea on how to improve. I am practicing the River Environments ones. If anyone could help I would much appreciate it.

Thank You

Hi. I'm also sitting this exam tomorrow. I'm practicing river environments too and am dreading a question on the physical landscape (erosional/depositional landforms etc) I don't think it's really a good discussional basis for an essay. Would prefer a question of flooding, management challenges, conflict of uses etc.

This is my first sitting so don't take anything that I say for read but I am planning to follow a similar essay plan to the below

Introduction:
Addressing the question and setting the tone for the essay

Main Body:
4 exhaustive paragraphs exmplifying, analysing and evaluating 2 separate facets relating to the question (maintaining cause and effect links throughout)

Or

6 detailed paragraphs exemplifying analysing and evaluating 3 separate facets relating to the question (maintaining cause and effect links throughout)

Conclusion:
Quick precis of salient points rounding off with a personal value judgement
I'm dreading the 25 marker. We only started practicing them a month or so ago. I've only had time to do a couple for each of the topics I could get them on. I think I usually get around 15. but one of the rivers questions about managing river basins I got an E on :frown: And because we've only been taught 3 topics for each exam I'll have to do the 25m on rivers/coasts tomorrow then rural/urban next week - on the past papers the rural/urban questions are often identical except for rural/urban swapped over :frown:

Luckily this is OCR so the grade boundaries should be low.
Reply 6
Can someone explain what they mean by 'Conflicts of Land Uses' in River Basins? and maybe an area I could use as an Example.

Also does anyone know any sites where it says how like corries, u-shaped glaciers ect are formed?>
Reply 7
Guys should we do a Game:
To help us Practise: You ask a question, person below answers then states another question for next person to answer ect.

Ill Start:

How are Corriers Formed?
Original post by PowerPuff
Can someone explain what they mean by 'Conflicts of Land Uses' in River Basins? and maybe an area I could use as an Example. ?>

Two or more activities that go against each other. So say fishing and conservationists wanting to preserve biodiversity. Or the need for floodplains but also the need for housing.
Reply 9
Original post by Clare~Bear
Two or more activities that go against each other. So say fishing and conservationists wanting to preserve biodiversity. Or the need for floodplains but also the need for housing.

Oooooooo ok.
Thank you.

How would you elaborate that into like 6 points?
Reply 10
Does anyone have an idea of what the 25 mark essay could be on. Is it most likely to be on "opportunities"
Original post by Saul123
Does anyone have an idea of what the 25 mark essay could be on. Is it most likely to be on "opportunities"

It's almost impossible to guess. The only things that can be ruled out are the 25 markers from January as they're the least likely to come up.
From the examiner's report it looks like the January one was about drainage basins being a multi-use resource

River Environments
5 Key words included: examine, river basins, multi-use and resource. Too often, one or more of these facets were missing. Good answers, and there were many, realised that the question referred not only to the river itself, but to the whole basin. Effective references were often made to the potential benefits of flood plains for both agriculture and construction. Few made it clear why a river might be suitable for HEP; references to discharge, valley cross-section and rock type were rarely mentioned. A similar issue arose over fishing; why do some rivers possess such a significant resource? Not many candidates recognised the value of the natural environment as a resource for conservation or tourism. The very best answers made summative comments about why some basins provide such a wide range of resource opportunities.
Reply 13
If the question was "why successful river basins management requires understanding of physical processes" what do I put or if it was for "coasts"
Reply 14
Oh god.

I took this exam 2.5 years ago. I finished the A-level last year 24 marks off an A, and the two AS exams were my weakest. So now I must take this exam after not studying geography for a year.

My knowledge is good for rivers and coasts but somewhat lacking in Hot/Semi arid environments... This'll be fun.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
I didn't find that too bad... I was a bit lost on Q6 as most of my coastal case studies were on management and uses so I had to talk about nearby places (fortunately I live near The Solent :smile:)
Reply 16
what was the 9 mark question on coasts about?? im really worried i got confused..
i talked about costa del sol and managing amount of water golf courses used etc. how much waste was put into the sea from industry in bangladesh.

i cant remember the exact qeustion but some friends wrote aboiut management of erosion ahhh
Reply 17
Original post by Elvinator
I didn't find that too bad... I was a bit lost on Q6 as most of my coastal case studies were on management and uses so I had to talk about nearby places (fortunately I live near The Solent :smile:)

What was Q6?

I did Rivers Short Questions
Cold Short Questions
& Coast Esse.
Reply 18
Original post by PowerPuff
What was Q6?

I did Rivers Short Questions
Cold Short Questions
& Coast Esse.

Question 6 was the coasts essay :smile:
Reply 19