The Student Room Group

Motivation after failing 3 modules and having to resit them in the summer?

I just found out that I failed in total of 3 modules this year as a first year law student and now I have to re-sit them in august. I was wondering if anyone has any motivation tips after failing 3 modules. I worked hard and did well in all other modules: 2:1s and firsts mostly.
Reply 1
Coursework or exams?
Tbh people are motivated by different things, anger works quite well for me after an unsatisfactory result... I get angry at them for giving me a bad mark and take an 'I'll show you, you sons of bitches' attitude. I see the guy marking as an enemy and I've got to defeat him with the weapon of strong work, I'm not going to properly relax until that work is as strong as I can possibly make it. For coursework I think of it like I'm constructing a battering ram that's going to be so strong and tightly put together and will hit him so hard he won't have any choice but to surrender and give a good mark.

I play 'eye of the tiger' quite a bit while I'm doing this :smile:
Reply 2
I went through the exact same thing during my first year of Uni at NTU - For starters, do not worry. It's actually a lot more common than people (Uni's especially) to fail a few modules, especially in first year (not too sure why but I fell victim to it, so...).

My only advice is to work, and work hard this summer. I didn't really, and ended up repeating the year (got through that way eventually), but it set me back and really, really hit me hard. You say you worked hard and that in itself is a good thing, just continue to do it and keep in regular contact with your tutors for those modules. They are there as full-time professors and they are there to help you through. Do not feel like you are bugging them. Even if you are, so what? They are paid for this and you are entitled to ask for help. Quickly make note of aspects of the modules you are struggling with and then get them sorted.

Above all else, do not let these modules get you down. Failing in first year isn't the end of the world, especially with the chance of re-sits. It does not affect your overall degree to have to re-sit them, so just keep as confident as you can and keep in a regular routine of revision. And again, use your tutors, they are your most valuable asset!!

If you need any more advice, feel free to PM me, as i've said i've been through this before.
Reply 3
Hello,

I not know what to do... I'm in my first year of BSc... and i fail 3 modules. I can reset my modules, but the problum is that I can not go to the second year, I need to do it the first year but just the 3 modules.

Is there a thing to do that i could do the reset in the second year, not in the midel of first and second? or Should I give up and... find a job... and in this point I do feel like a failer
Reply 4
Original post by Renat
Hello,

I not know what to do... I'm in my first year of BSc... and i fail 3 modules. I can reset my modules, but the problum is that I can not go to the second year, I need to do it the first year but just the 3 modules.

Is there a thing to do that i could do the reset in the second year, not in the midel of first and second? or Should I give up and... find a job... and in this point I do feel like a failure

It depends on the uni and so the best person to talk to about this is your school administrator. The problem with resitting first year modules during your second year is the workload: would you be able to cope? Anyway, universities tend to have a policy to not allow students to continue the course into the second year if they have failed the first year.
Did you know there was a chance you might fail those modules? Did you feel you had done badly? Could you have worked significantly harder?

The important thing is to work out your goals. Why did you choose to enrol in a university course? What do you hope to get out of it? Finding a job can be difficult both with and without a degree, so it's up to you whether you'd like to invest several years at university. I'm in my final year but failed some modules and have been working on resits this summer. When I realised that I couldn't complete all the coursework (and completing 2 out of 3 outstanding modules is just as bad as not completing any of them), I started applying for internships and found that my CV lacked both good academic achievements and referees for work experience. So my advice to you is to focus on academics or the employment, or both, depending on how well you can do in these.
I failed four out of six modules in my first year...and my uni published the results on sept 20, when most of clearing was over. So if I messed up, it would've been game over. But in the end I passed them all...and so can you!
Reply 6
Hi I am first year student, I failed 3 modules and have to resit them next year. I feel lost, disappointed and like giving up. Can you please give me advice?

Latest