The Student Room Group

Medical exemption certificate

Hi, I will be on medication this year in university and would like to know how and where to get a medical exemption certificate (I assume I am eligible) so I don't have to pay for prescriptions...
Reply 1
i think you need a HC1 certificate available from your local pharmacy
From what I am aware, medical exemption certificates are for people with chronic illnesses. But if you are elegible, you can get the forms from your GP. But they should be able to also tell you the best option to take.
Reply 3
If you're unable to get the exemption certificate but you're going to be on medication for a long period, you can get a kind of 'pre-paid' prescription that works out much cheaper. My gran used to get one before she was entitled to free prescriptions (she's a chronic asthmatic). If you ask at your local pharmacy they should be able to advise you, I think you can get them for different periods (ie six months, a year).
Reply 4
jaydoh
Hi, I will be on medication this year in university and would like to know how and where to get a medical exemption certificate (I assume I am eligible) so I don't have to pay for prescriptions...

You're only be eligible (over the age of 18) if your parents earn less than a certain amount - that's what I was told when I asked about it.

Although you're a university student/still in full time education - to the NHS it doesn't matter unless you're exempt anyway for say being diabetic. Education bit goes up to the age of 18.

Here's the form: http://www.cfs.nhs.uk/doc/hc81.p/english.pdf
I got a HC1 application form from my local pharmacy, filled it out, sent it off and got the HC2 excemption certificate.

If i was you, you need to get the form now, filled out and send off as it takes about 6weeks to come through.

Hope that helps
Go into a pharmacy and ask what your best option is, I would say.

I recently filled out an HC1 form hoping to get an HC2 certificate for free prescriptions like I had in my first year at uni (I'm going into my third year now), which is useful for things like my inhalers which I can't really get away with not having! When I got the form back, though, it said I wasn't eligible for free prescriptions, but I think there was a letter with it saying that I should reapply when I'm actually back at uni.

So, yes... I say go and talk to someone in a chemist as they obviously know what they're on about!
Reply 7
Go with what DancinBallerina said, any pharmacy should have a HC1 application pack that you can fill out.
vickytoria77
You're only be eligible (over the age of 18) if your parents earn less than a certain amount - that's what I was told when I asked about it.

Although you're a university student/still in full time education - to the NHS it doesn't matter unless you're exempt anyway for say being diabetic. Education bit goes up to the age of 18.

Here's the form: http://www.cfs.nhs.uk/doc/hc81.p/english.pdf

Not your parents. It's measured on you (the student). This person will be at University, so it'll go on his or her income/outgoings which will in most circumstances indicate a low earner and thus eligibility.

The person requires a HC2 certificate. To get this a HC1 form needs to be completed, and needs to be based on the monies of the person at the time they will be at University.
Reply 9
Ohh that means my local Boots was wrong - but I'm guessing then that if you're working you maybe don't qualify?
There is one you can get for low incomes. I don't know the rules on that though (like what the threshold is, etc). This I believe is free.

Then there is one where you pay in advance for a certain amount of time which is for if you have an illness that needs repeat prescriptions but it is not a chronic illness. This I don't think is free but is cheaper than always paying the charges.

Then there is the one that's actually called a medical exemption certificate which you can get if you have a chronic illness. That one is free.

But you are entitled to free prescriptions if you are under 19 and in full time education.
silvernatasha
Go into a pharmacy and ask what your best option is, I would say.

I recently filled out an HC1 form hoping to get an HC2 certificate for free prescriptions like I had in my first year at uni (I'm going into my third year now), which is useful for things like my inhalers which I can't really get away with not having! When I got the form back, though, it said I wasn't eligible for free prescriptions, but I think there was a letter with it saying that I should reapply when I'm actually back at uni.

So, yes... I say go and talk to someone in a chemist as they obviously know what they're on about!

Do you get your meds when you're at home or at uni? Cause all prescriptions are free in Wales ... and before it changed to that it was free for under 25s (not sure how old you are!)
Reply 12
Hi I was born in uk and live in roi since i was four,going to study in scotland..take prescription mads here in roi for free will i be able to get them in scotland?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending