The Student Room Group

Jobs for under 16's

:mad: im 14 coming up 15 and living in the UK, unfortunatly i have no cash so i cant do anything during the holidays unless i annoy my mum for cash. What jobs could i get?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Paper round?
Reply 2
paper round?

Big companies wont employ you - your too young unfortunately! Stick with simple jobs like paper rounds, mowing peoples lawns etc...
Reply 3
Paper round is the most obvious, you could get something like ~£25/week... You could apply to work in a chemist, I started when I was 15.

Or go to a Cash&Carry and sell junk food to kids, my bro makes 100 % on what he sells lol. Makes about £20a week, sells it at break/lunch.
take cv's into 'small' shops like the corner shops, market stalls or go to asda do some FREE work experience, then with your experience and your proven abilitys they will hopefully take you on.
Reply 5
Hairdressers definitely...they'll make you wash peoples hair sometimes, make coffe/tea and you'll probably get £25 or £30 a day...that's what my friend got
Reply 6
it's really difficult to find a job under 16.... I tried for two years lool. Eventually I found a job at the local church, as I know some of the members. Tbh, I think your better off asking friends and family friends if they know anyone who needs a bit of help with anything because I don't think that the larger companies are going to be too willing to give an under-16 a job...
ALBERTA
Hairdressers definitely...they'll make you wash peoples hair sometimes, make coffe/tea and you'll probably get £25 or £30 a day...that's what my friend got

Doesn't happen much these days.
I work at a salon, they can take on college kids on placement for free, and then sometimes hire them for extra days. Don't often take on "outsiders" or people not interested in the career itself.
Reply 8
TheFBProject
Doesn't happen much these days.
I work at a salon, they can take on college kids on placement for free, and then sometimes hire them for extra days. Don't often take on "outsiders" or people not interested in the career itself.

oh okay
Reply 9
I worked on a seafront burger stall making candyfloss. Those were the days! lol..
ive started looking for a job but most places are rejecting me but i have always said to keep bugging them and it worked now i have been given 6 interviews in the same day wow!!!:smile: :biggrin:
AlexJRiley
:mad: im 14 coming up 15 and living in the UK, unfortunatly i have no cash so i cant do anything during the holidays unless i annoy my mum for cash. What jobs could i get?

My brother works at a takeaway. Better money than paper rounds which is what I did.
Reply 12
Tried a pub, hotel or a restaurant? I worked in one washing up. I was getting £5.50 an hour, but have moved on to sainsburys now because of more hours being available.
gbtesh
take cv's into 'small' shops like the corner shops, market stalls or go to asda do some FREE work experience, then with your experience and your proven abilitys they will hopefully take you on.

I agree. No point at all applying to big companies.
I worked at a mini-market/corner shop for about a year when I was 15 because my Dad was like: "no pocket monies for you now Son!"

Shops like Spar, McColls and all your local corner shops pay will be something like £3.00-4.00 per hour, but its better because it means you can earn more money then just working 9 hour days and someone going: "Heres 20 quid m8, i'll.. err.. call ya if i need ya again to mop the floor.."

Also you'll have work experience before the compulsory year 11 work experience and before your 16!

Good luck!
Ghost Grey
I agree. No point at all applying to big companies.
I worked at a mini-market/corner shop for about a year when I was 15 because my Dad was like: "no pocket monies for you now Son!"

Shops like Spar, McColls and all your local corner shops pay will be something like £3.00-4.00 per hour, but its better because it means you can earn more money then just working 9 hour days and someone going: "Heres 20 quid m8, i'll.. err.. call ya if i need ya again to mop the floor.."

Also you'll have work experience before the compulsory year 11 work experience and before your 16!

Good luck!

Year 11 work experience is not compulsory - or at least, it wasn't in my school.
adamscybot
Year 11 work experience is not compulsory - or at least, it wasn't in my school.

Thank you Education Minister.
Ghost Grey
Thank you Education Minister.

No problem peasant.

Couldn't resist.

Adam
That wasn't called for at all.
Reply 19
would it look better on under 16's if they do some work experience/voluntary work BEFORE going forward to being paid for work?
a) it looks good on your CV
b) shows your dedication
c) gives you an advantage unlike people who have no experience whatsoever.

a question of my own: does work experience have to be done through the school? or can you do it independantly?

Quick Reply

Latest