The Student Room Group

Has anyone had a cough lasting for over a month??

Ok so it's been a while now since uni started and I've had several colds in the beginning of term 1. Around 12th Dec. I got myself another one and kept coughing for nearly a month before I went to see a doc.. they took blood from my finger, listened to my chest and that was pretty much it. I was told that it's just a cold that's going around during the winter and that it should be gone soon...

Well that was 2 weeks ago!! I am starting to worry cos it's just not going away! I keep coughing and can feel phlegm in my throat which wasn't there some 3 weeks ago! It was mainly the reason I went to the doc... :frown:

Has this happened to anyone else? I wonder if I should go to the doc again cos I also feel a bit woozy lately :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you taking loads of Vit C? 1000mg/day? Lemsip?
Did they do things like an AIDS test with the blood?
Are you in a smoky or damp atmosphere?
Is there mould on the walls of the place you're living?
Most importantly, are you keeping fit and eating well? Probably the best thing you can do is to make sure you're running or cycling - I know it's not the first thing you want to think about when bunged up!
Reply 2
I know someone who had basically identical symptoms to you over xmas. He got the start of a cold just before xmas, he developed a chest infection over xmas (which it sounds like you have got) and it went away about new years day, but he's still only just getting over the phlegm now. He had a really high temp and was shattered all the time. If the doctors didn't give you antibiotics i imagine you will have to ride this thing out yourself. Sorry i can't have been of more help- its just one of those bugs going around!
Reply 3
Sounds like what my doc calls the 'hundred day cough'. He was right (although he did other tests too), it lasted about that long :frown:
Wow. I currently just had the same thing. I had a 102 degree fever for like two days. Barely sick... sore throat, terrible terrible cough, headache, body ache, just felt awful... I took tons of antibiotics and got rid of almost all of it. I still have a cough and tried and weak.
I had a cough lasting two months. Just a cough, no other ill syptoms Until my Dad made me go to the Doctor, turned out I had bronchitis (sp) and a pulled rib muscle.

The Doctor told me that no cough should last more than 3 weeks, so I'd go and get it checked out just to be safe :smile:
if your worried go bak to the doctors...can't do any harm. but yeah, ive had several coughs that last over a month (particularly when i've had several colds in a short space of time) because during the colds your lungs take a nasty hit and need some time to recover. But if you're concerned then theres no harm in getting a doctors appointment now is there?
Reply 7
dimmed_star
Ok so it's been a while now since uni started and I've had several colds in the beginning of term 1. Around 12th Dec. I got myself another one and kept coughing for nearly a month before I went to see a doc.. they took blood from my finger, listened to my chest and that was pretty much it. I was told that it's just a cold that's going around during the winter and that it should be gone soon...

Well that was 2 weeks ago!! I am starting to worry cos it's just not going away! I keep coughing and can feel phlegm in my throat which wasn't there some 3 weeks ago! It was mainly the reason I went to the doc... :frown:

Has this happened to anyone else? I wonder if I should go to the doc again cos I also feel a bit woozy lately :s-smilie:

I've had it before, but then I dont go to the docs unless I'm practically dying - its what their there for, it shouldn't last that long just being a cold really so go bug the doc!
Reply 8
Well I've had a cough almost 4 months and counting! Been to the doctors 3 times, they tell me nothings wrong! On the plus side, I havent dropped dead yet!
YES!! I must've had my cold/cough from mid-December and it hasn't got much better. Had what felt to me like a fever during late December and then just got the cough I have now. Coming towards the end of a course of antibiotics and I'm going to have to book another doctors appointment to get some tests done or something. :s-smilie: Need it cleared so I can get a good night's sleep!! :redface:
From the start of uni there's only been around 2 weeks where I haven't had some sort of cold/cough.

I hate you, winter.
Reply 11
Thanks for the replies! Well it makes me feel calmer now that I see I'm not the only one stuck with this thing... I guess if it doesn't disappear by the end of the week I will go bug the doctor again. :s-smilie: I will go buy some vitamins and hope that it will be enough since I was never prescribed any antibiotics.
Reply 12
I had one for nearly 2 months last year; it took three doctors to diagnose a chest infection and put me on antibiotics. And hey presto- it ws gone within a few days. Go back to the doctor at the end of the week if it still hasn't gone.
Reply 13
Yeah I have had a recurring cough/cold since pretty much fresher's week and it still hasn't gone. Sigh...
Reply 14
Twirlonwater
I had a 102 degree fever for like two days.

:eek:

That's above the boiling point. Not possible... unless you're using some weird scale of measurement here.
It's probably a chest infection.

Contrary to what is said, you can have ordinary coughs/colds for a long time, especially if you aggravate them by staying out in cold or wet environments. I've just got over a nasty cold, and it lasted about four weeks. I blame it on the horrible, wet weather that I unwisely subjected myself to regularly.
Reply 16
I once had one for 6 months. Doctor seemed alarmingly unconcerned about it.
Reply 17
HJV
:eek:

That's above the boiling point. Not possible... unless you're using some weird scale of measurement here.
Are you SERIOUS?

Anyway, yes I had this. I eventually went to the doctor, who gave me antibiotics for teh chest infection and sinusitus or something and I had a virus as well. Hurray. Didn't want to go away until I realised I was pretty dehydrated so upped fluids and got some rest. Healthy as now .
ive had a bit of a cough for like nearly 3 months now. its annoying but luckily its only really there in the morning and at night. i don smoke so its not to do with that. itll probs just go eventually
Reply 19
dimmed_star

I had a cough for 3 months and got diagnosed with asthma. Everyone at uni I know who's had anything ressembling a cough gets given an inhaler and told it's asthma. If you're wheezy and have other allergies like hayfever or eczema it could be...i'd go again if you're feeling woozy.

Quick Reply

Latest