The Student Room Group

I forgot to pay the bill in a restaurant - am I a thief?

I was having a meal at a restaurant this afternoon with a friend, the food was okay and then we chatted for a bit afterwards. The place was really quiet and the one waitress there finished her shift and left. We finally decided to leave, said goodbye and then whilst i was walking home I suddenly realised I hadn't paid the bill. I'd forgotten all about it! I had agreed to pay since my friend doesn't have a card at the moment - lost their wallet.

What should I do? I guessed the bill would have been around £40.

Scroll to see replies

If it was me, I'd have such a bad conscience I'd go back to the restaurant, apologise and explain how it was a total accident, maybe even go in with a tin of chocolates for the staff to make up for it and pay the bill.
Reply 2
Ring up saying you forgot and go back and pay it.
Reply 3
Go back and explain and pay the bill. Otherwise you'll never be able to go back and I'm sure you feel bad about it.
Reply 4
Not at the time of leaving (if you genuinely didn't mean to), since you may not have been dishonest. However, now you've realised I'd say you should go back.
Tbh, forget about it. You got a meal for free. Sure, you genuinely forgot, and didn't intentionally bump them, but the thing is, if it was you in charge of the place, and they forgot, would they really go back and pay? No. And who would? Be happy you got a meal for nothing and look forward to doing something else with the 40 quid.
I would go back and pay otherwise I'd feel horrible if I ever went back in and stuff. Its understandable and if you go in there and sort it they will probably be so pleased that you were honest.

Was it a chain? Or a family run restaurant? I think that makes some difference in my head too.
Go back, pay, and tell yourself you did the right thing.
Go back and pay! :rant:
Reply 9
i would go back to explain and pay it
Reply 10
U r a thief if u don't go back and pay up knowing u forgot to pay in the first place
Reply 11
i did this once... i always meant to go back and pay but never did. guess it's up to you really. i felt bad for a bit but then just forgot about it.
Go back and pay
Reply 13
Bird Smasher
Tbh, forget about it. You got a meal for free. Sure, you genuinely forgot, and didn't intentionally bump them, but the thing is, if it was you in charge of the place, and they forgot, would they really go back and pay? No. And who would? Be happy you got a meal for nothing and look forward to doing something else with the 40 quid.

I have. More commonly I've pointed it out when the restaurant missed out something off the bill. It's just about being a decent human being.

I mean what if the manager checks the takings and finds the £40 missing and thinks the waitress stole it ?
Forget them, I can assure you this will happen - you will pay them and feel all good about yourself, and then a week or two later you find something really awesome, and realise if you still had that £40 you could get it, but oh no, you wanted to be a nice guy. You got a meal for free - be happy and exploit it.
Reply 15
If it was a good meal go back- if not then don't. Fairly simple really. I'm not cheap but whenever possible pay for the service I believe I got. The other day i tipped this new hairdresser over a tenner when the cut was only 8 quid. He did such a good job and seemed like a proper sound guy so I don't care that I gave him extra and I will go back to him so we're all happy! Just use your brain.
Reply 16
Puke the food up in a bag and send it back?
If you don't pay it back, then you are a thief, as you took their food and didn't pay for it. That's like going to a TV store, and walking off with a TV.

If you do pay it back, it's a genuine mistake, so don't worry.

Pay it back :smile:
Reply 18
If you dont want it to haunt you for the rest of your life i suggest you go back and pay the bill. And btw if you see a family guy chicken offering to pay the bill for you, LEG IT
Bird Smasher
Forget them, I can assure you this will happen - you will pay them and feel all good about yourself, and then a week or two later you find something really awesome, and realise if you still had that £40 you could get it, but oh no, you wanted to be a nice guy. You got a meal for free - be happy and exploit it.

This
**** the restaurant- yes they lost out on £40 but sometimes in life, you get lucky.

Latest

Trending

Trending