The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I just feel like i have been sent back into time by a time machine which was made by europeans becuase americans have gone brust!!
Reply 181
Monte Carlo is hardly a council estate in Hull or a squat in Hamburg ffs.
Reply 182
Original post by Made in the USA
The average speed traveled on the autobahn in unregulated areas is about 90 mph, probably because it is so traffic choked you don't have the opportunity to go much faster. At least that's what I have heard from people who have been to Germany. I'm not sure what I'd prefer, leaglly being able to go as fast as I want, but not being able to because of traffic, or being able to illegally go as fast as I wanted in the Nevada desert because there is no chance another life form would ever see me.

I read a story about a man in the Arizona desert who got his car stuck in a ditch and survived 5 days by drinking windshield washer fluid. He survived the cold nights by covering himself in car floor mats. Finally after 5 days, another human happened to drive by on the same road and he got some help. That gives you an idea of just how desolated some of these areas can be.

He's clearly been watching Les Stroud.
Reply 183
Original post by Alex-jc123
but ones like Maryland are ****holes!
QUOTE]

Ahh my home state! Actually, Maryland is one of the wealthiest states in the U.S. thanks to DC. Most of the state is country side, big bays (well, just one) and politicians. Florida is toward the bottom of the list...

As for the original post - yikes!

Though, "my moms stupid job" makes him sound young-ish. So he probably thinks Monte Carlo is representative of Europe just like someone visiting PG country (the crappy part of the sate) would think Maryland’s a ****hole… I hope
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jim-ie
He's clearly been watching Les Stroud.

It's quite a story. Surprisingly, it made it to the pages of a UK paper:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1357029/Pensioner-survives-days-desert-drinking-washer-fluid-huddling-car-mats.html
The premise of the argument that everyone wants to live in an urban area is false. Not everyone wants that. Some people like rural areas because they like the privacy, the relaxed life, the closer proximity to nature, the small town feel, etc. I think if you asked most people how happy they are with where they live, you would find that most have no desire to live in a more urban area where everything they need is within walking distance. It doesn't appeal to everyone

If they didn't like it (and this is where you disagree with me) they would move. Obviously the majority of people in Miami moved here from somewhere else because this place had some kind of appeal to them. What the hell that is, I can't figure out. You say it can't be done that easily, but millions do it.

My point - Millions do it, but there are thousands/millions who WANT to, but CAN'T for various reasons. It's not always that simple.
Original post by Emaemmaemily
My point - Millions do it, but there are thousands/millions who WANT to, but CAN'T for various reasons. It's not always that simple.

Can you explain why it isn't that simple? I still don't get it. It's not for lack of opportunity because urban areas have more job opportunities. It's not about cost because you can always rent. I've lived in a lot of different states and it's always been a peace of cake to move. When I showed up in Miami, I landed a job in 2 days.

If anything it's harder to move to the middle of nowhere where there aren't any businesses hiring.

This idea that there are millions of Americans that wish they could live in a developed area is nonsense. Most people I know hate the rat race of city life and prefer living someplace quiet. I know when I have children I would prefer the suburbs because there are less chances of them getting in trouble.
Reply 187
"Europeans" is a VERY broad term. Some Europeans might be jealous of American wealth, for instance eastern European countries, but ask anyone in Scandinavia, and they'll laugh at you!
Reply 188
american wealth? lol'ed at this one.

Is that the wealth owned by the Chinese and Saudis?
Can you explain why it isn't that simple? I still don't get it. It's not for lack of opportunity because urban areas have more job opportunities. It's not about cost because you can always rent. I've lived in a lot of different states and it's always been a peace of cake to move. When I showed up in Miami, I landed a job in 2 days.

If anything it's harder to move to the middle of nowhere where there aren't any businesses hiring.

This idea that there are millions of Americans that wish they could live in a developed area is nonsense. Most people I know hate the rat race of city life and prefer living someplace quiet. I know when I have children I would prefer the suburbs because there are less chances of them getting in trouble.

No. Not everyone can afford it. It's not always an option to just take yourself off the property-owning market and rent.
There's lots of reasons, and if you really don't understand that it's not always going to be as easy for EVERYONE as it was for you, I give up. I honestly don't care enough to continue the conversation.
Original post by alexs2602
I was following you until you said a corvette could do 200mph. :giggle: Don't kid yourself.

Took me a while to find a credible video to prove you wrong start at the 4 minute mark
Reply 191
The USA does better in terms of HDI, GDP, happiness etc. than most areas of europe. europeans are jealous of US wealth.
Original post by DYKWIA
The USA does better in terms of HDI, GDP, happiness etc. than most areas of europe. europeans are jealous of US wealth.

yet theyre really not? europe doesnt suffer from the same social ills america does and we dont let our citizens fall into complete poverty. america has one of the largest divides between rich and poor in the western world that is nothing you should be proud of but then again you being the casual fascist you are youd beg to differ wouldnt you?
Original post by DYKWIA

It's silly to group Europeans altogether in such a discussion. The difference between Scandinavian countries and Balkan countries, for example, are huge.

It would be like me saying "Ha, Americans are jealous of UK wealth", because of the lack of wealth in countries in South America.

Basically, USA is a unified country, which is not a fair comparison to 'Europe'. Romanians may well be jealous, but Norwegians won't be.
Original post by janco
I've only lived in Europe for a year due to my mother's stupid job, but on a recent trip to Monaco, I noticed how desperate people were to display their 'wealth'. All of the women were wearing fur coats, and the men thought they were all it because they wore Rolex watches. I was in the mood for a burger and bought one from a street vendor, and he proceeded to get a plate with a knife and fork and serve it under a sun-umbrella. I was enjoying it until I saw the bill and it was 15 euros for the burger and a bit of salad. It just struck me as so pretensious and ostentatious. To me, as an American, I've always been used to being surrounded by wealth but not having to brag about it like Europeans do. I suppose this is the reason that Monte Carlans were desperate to show off; to kid themselves that they have life as we do in the States. Do you agree?

If you couldn't afford the €15 burger then you should go to the mcdonalds instead (I assumed that sweeping generalisations were allowed judging by your original post)
Reply 195
no, just jealous of the lower taxes
Reply 196
Original post by DYKWIA

http://www.expatforum.com/general-considerations/go-to-denmark-if-you-want-a-happy-life-says-un-report.html
Reply 197
Original post by DYKWIA

Except the US has a bigger divide in wealth.

I'd rather be poor in Europe than poor in the US.
Original post by No Man
Except the US has a bigger divide in wealth.

I'd rather be poor in Europe than poor in the US.

I concede that the quality of life is likely to be better in Europe for the poor, but that is not what maters to me most. My question would be; if I am poor, what country would offer me the best chance, no matter how slim, of becoming not poor? The answer I have come up with is;

1. New Zealand
2. Australia
3. U.S.
4. Canada
5. Singapore

I base this on the ease of small business to open, operate, and succeed. For me that is the key to true social mobility. The reason Europe does not make that list is because a Nanny State provides more security now at the price of less opportunity tomorrow.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm just saying that I personally would rather have opportunity that security.
Funny you say that, OP. It's normally rich Americans who are known for their vulgar displays of wealth, not rich Europeans.

American 'culture' is the epitome of flashy, trashy, shiny, bigger - even in the poorer parts. Size of houses, cars, roads, malls, food etc.

The difference between USA and Europe is that Europe has class.

Latest