The Student Room Group

A-Level Subjects For Law

Doing:

- Biology
- Chemistry
- Psychology
- Law

Can I still go do Law at university? (Even though I didn't pick any 'traditional' subjects such as History and English)
Yes, but it would be worth while dropping Law (or Psychology) for History, if you can, as universities don't particularly like students doing Law A-Level.
I know this is Cambridge but it's still worth looking at:
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Original post by AGrumpyMole
Yes, but it would be worth while dropping Law (or Psychology) for History, if you can, as universities don't particularly like students doing Law A-Level.

I like your user name.:smile:
Yes.
You can do Law at Uni but you would definitely be better of swapping Law for English or History.

The reasons for this have been mentioned above but also as Law is a heavily essay focused subject and with those subjects you won't have had the practice in it that others will. Essay subjects will give you the skills you need for a law degree, otherwise you could struggle.
Reply 5
Universities like to see candidates with essay based subjects for a degree like Law, especially if they have an analytical aspect to them, like History
Reply 6
Those subjects would be fine, but it depends on what uni you're aiming for. If you are aiming for oxbridge, lse and other prestigious institutions then they will look for what they call 'facilitating' subjects (these can be found on the Russell group website). Just make sure you don't pick a subject that you really dislike as you will be studying it for 2 years :smile:.
Reply 7
Original post by Login
Doing:

- Biology
- Chemistry
- Psychology
- Law

Can I still go do Law at university? (Even though I didn't pick any 'traditional' subjects such as History and English)

Biology and Chemistry are traditional subjects. English Lit or History would have been highly preferable though.
Reply 8
Original post by AGrumpyMole

Here and here (the first document's probably a little out of date now - LSE merely says that Law doesn't offer an advantage).

In short, Law is fine as a fourth, but I'd swap Psychology for an essay-based subject. Here's a post I made a while back on the value of A Level Law (so I don't have to type it again! :p:).
Reply 9
I'm doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics, and want to study law at uni. Do you think this combination is ok? And do you think I'd be disadvantaged if I were to apply to Oxford?
Reply 10
Original post by 4627
I'm doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics, and want to study law at uni. Do you think this combination is ok? And do you think I'd be disadvantaged if I were to apply to Oxford?

No, as long as long as you demonstrate very good written communication in the LNAT essay.
I think that one of the most important things about doing essay-based A levels is that it helps you develop analytical skills which will help you not only get in to a top university for law, but also find the transition into studying law at university easier.

Your subjects should be okay, seeing as biology and chemistry are very traditional, and chemistry is regarded as the hardest a-level by many. I think that universities do respect psychology, although I'm not sure exactly how the course works, therefore couldn't make a judgement on how it would help you. I have also heard that universities don't really like law as a subject, however that is not to say that it will automatically put you on a blacklist; I have heard of people who studied law to get into Oxbridge.

I do strongly recommend taking either history or english lit, mainly because of how the essay writing skills will help you.

However, I think that it's really important that you take subjects that you're going to enjoy; you have to study it for two years, and at the end of those you might have totally changed your mind about wanting to study law, so by studing subjects that you enjoy it makes sense that at the end of it you'll still be open to a degree that you will enjoy :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by 4627

Yes, and no :smile: make sure you practise for the LNAT essay though.
Reply 13
May I ask your Opinions on this combination:
Spanish
Maths
Economics
Politics

I went to the Oxbridge student conferences the other day, and they all said the same for law. Do A levels which you actually enjoy. You might not like English or History, so why slave away at them just because apparently universities prefer them?

Do subjects which you're going to be motivated enough to get good grades in. Otherwise, you might flop and get B's and C's.

I'm considering Law with German (or Spanish and German, depends), and I do Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and German. I do them because I'm good at them. I was weaker at English through GCSE, so didn't want to study it at college, and History wasn't particularly interesting to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending