The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shellybean01
Very exciting! How long did it take you from finding out you were successful to actually getting a placement?

I found out quite fast, but that was because I didn't pass until the final mark had been set for the first round of applications at least. And also I was going for the economist role so I guess that there may be fewer potential places to be assigned to.

Just had a mad panic hunting round my room for my passport! finally found it and I'm about to head off now :biggrin:
Reply 1661
Original post by gt94sss2
Yes, the FCO has made their FSB easier in the last few years - in that they no long include an economics test, a language aptitude test and a panel interview as part of the process - just the role-playing exercises..

Honestly, I think I'd prefer the old style interview, econ, and language tests to the roleplays....
Reply 1662
I've just decided to withdraw from HoP. It's taken me a little while - and a fair bit of research - to make the decision, but I think it's just going to be a little too formal/research/academic, which isn't as attractive to me as formulating policy and delivering public services
Reply 1663
Have you been to the open day alreafy?
Reply 1664
Argh! After 8 long weeks (to the day!) since sitting my FSAC I finally contacted them today to ask if they'd be able to give me any info at all as the only message I'd had in all that time was the one update on the home page, and was told "the pass marks will be narrowed at the end of March".
I've been pretty enthusiastic about the FS application process to date but having to wait a total of 11 weeks for a decision from any company is an absolute joke :frown:
Reply 1665
Original post by Evidza
Have you been to the open day alreafy?

Nope, I wasn't invited as DS was my first choice rather than HoP.
Original post by TomDixie
I've just decided to withdraw from HoP. It's taken me a little while - and a fair bit of research - to make the decision, but I think it's just going to be a little too formal/research/academic, which isn't as attractive to me as formulating policy and delivering public services

me too. Just about to do the same.
Original post by rach2012
Argh! After 8 long weeks (to the day!) since sitting my FSAC I finally contacted them today to ask if they'd be able to give me any info at all as the only message I'd had in all that time was the one update on the home page, and was told "the pass marks will be narrowed at the end of March".
I've been pretty enthusiastic about the FS application process to date but having to wait a total of 11 weeks for a decision from any company is an absolute joke :frown:

It's so ridiculous, me too. Also I keep feeling like basically if you're kept waiting right til the end you must be so borderline, which just makes it more excruciating as they trim each side bit by bit.
Just sent an email to fast stream asking for a deferral. ARGH I'm so nervous!
Reply 1669
Original post by ellie_flower
Just sent an email to fast stream asking for a deferral. ARGH I'm so nervous!

are you teachFirst-ing? good luck!
Original post by lm222
are you teachFirst-ing? good luck!

No, I'm not. I've got a masters offer in Vancouver. I'm trying to sell the whole 'will gain international perspective etc'. Really don't know if they will let me. It would really work so well if they said yes.
No, I'm not. I've got a masters offer in Vancouver. I'm trying to sell the whole 'will gain international perspective etc'. Really don't know if they will let me. It would really work so well if they said yes.

I was told at a fast stream graduate recruitment talk that you couldn't defer under any circumstances except teach first, entrepreneur first or extreme personal circumstances (eg parental death/terminal illness) so I didn't apply this year as I would definitely need to defer. Are there new rules now? I wish I'd applied! :frown:
Original post by undergradstudent
I was told at a fast stream graduate recruitment talk that you couldn't defer under any circumstances except teach first, entrepreneur first or extreme personal circumstances (eg parental death/terminal illness) so I didn't apply this year as I would definitely need to defer. Are there new rules now? I wish I'd applied! :frown:

No they arent new rules at all. I just want both so badly so I thought I'd risk it. I guess I could always develop severe migraines or something that lasted, oo about a year!
Reply 1673
No they arent new rules at all. I just want both so badly so I thought I'd risk it. I guess I could always develop severe migraines or something that lasted, oo about a year!

https://candidate.faststream.gov.uk/FastStream2012/(if1bxg55tf1k4guheheycy24)/cqtmaps/Downloads/DeferralPolicy.pdf - i trust you've seen this. Given who this policy applies to, maybe if would strengthen your chances of getting both if you stick around in HoP scheme and then try to defer from that one instead - there, at least, it seems to be up to management discretion, whereas on the CD option there's much less room for that. Just a thought.

On a different yet related note, if you got this far this time, without a masters...I'm sure you could do it again next time with the MA or whatever it is under your belt.
Original post by lm222
https://candidate.faststream.gov.uk/FastStream2012/(if1bxg55tf1k4guheheycy24)/cqtmaps/Downloads/DeferralPolicy.pdf - i trust you've seen this. Given who this policy applies to, maybe if would strengthen your chances of getting both if you stick around in HoP scheme and then try to defer from that one instead - there, at least, it seems to be up to management discretion, whereas on the CD option there's much less room for that. Just a thought.

On a different yet related note, if you got this far this time, without a masters...I'm sure you could do it again next time with the MA or whatever it is under your belt.

Thanks so much for the pointers :smile: The things is, I really dont want to work for HoP-its not quite what I thought it was originally and would much rather (as tom Dixie says) be working more activively than academically.

But I suppose its worth a consideration. I have a feeling it will be an outright no.

Do you not think that part of the application is to do with luck though? Especially the bits at the beginning. I'm not sure I could go through this whole process again!
Aghhhh when are we gonna find out about HoP?!!
Original post by lovers in japan
Aghhhh when are we gonna find out about HoP?!!

I thought they said when all the FSACS are done?
Reply 1677
Thanks so much for the pointers :smile: The things is, I really dont want to work for HoP-its not quite what I thought it was originally and would much rather (as tom Dixie says) be working more activively than academically.

But I suppose its worth a consideration. I have a feeling it will be an outright no.

Do you not think that part of the application is to do with luck though? Especially the bits at the beginning. I'm not sure I could go through this whole process again!

I suppose there is some element of lottery in the early stages - that blasted competency questionnaire has a lot to do with it I feel (I failed the GFS online stage, am through almost everything now for EFS, so I don't really know how that works).

Has anyone been given a date when the FSACs will finally be over?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lm222

Has anyone been given a date when the FSACs will finally be over?

I have heard the middle of march and the end of march so have no clue which one is right but have never heard an exact date

Though if you'd be in Canada you would have to fly back twice (once for the e-tray and once for the FSAC). I asked if you can do them from abroad in any way and apparently not. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest