The Student Room Group

IB Maths HL 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
5+12i equal (2-3i)(-2+3i) as well ^^. I got (x+4)(x-2)(x^2 + 3x +4), but after that I ran out of time.......... spend quite a while on Q13 making sure I didn't skip any steps on the proof. Whatever it was that question was okay it was the second part which messed me up, though admittedly I didn't attempt a lot of it.
Reply 41
Original post by Saymyname!
well done! I got the same equation!

PHEW...beginning to feel that maybe this paper was not the disaster I thought it was yesterday...

If i get at least 25 of the 29 marks for the complex numbers question.

I felt that the paper itself was not as difficult as other years...although I ran out of time :s-smilie: and left some questions hanging
Reply 42
also from the first question in section B

For the question on which function could be for a discrete blah blah

I put f(x) cos the values add up to 1
Reply 43
It is f(x). Although at the time, i just put f(x) without saying why. Did anyone else find that the timing for both papers wasn't great? I mean, personally, I found paper two easier. Although, I believe that last years paper 1 was easier than this year. And, I've heard that if people this year, on average don't do as well, then the IB lower the grade boundaries slightly.
Reply 44
I'm just soooooooooooo damn annoyed about timing. I felt that it could've been a lot better if I had a bit more time. And I'm annoyed because our formula booklets had to be reprinted because they were missing some pages, so in the exam we had to sift through sheets which weren't stapled together. Oh well. Paper three still left to go. Series and Differentials. I want/need to well on that.
Reply 45
What did you guys end up getting for the last page on paper 2. The applications question, where you had to write v in terms of t ?
Reply 46
And how many questions would you say you missed across both papers 1 and 2 in total?
Reply 47
Original post by johndoe04
What did you guys end up getting for the last page on paper 2. The applications question, where you had to write v in terms of t ?

can't discuss that yet...although that was one nasty question I wasted too much time on
Reply 48
And how many questions would you say you missed across both papers 1 and 2 in total?

well I attempted everything but left several big questions incomplete
Reply 49
Original post by banban
well I attempted everything but left several big questions incomplete

Yeah...I just hope. Urgh.
Reply 50
Original post by Saymyname!
well done! I got the same equation!

Doesn't that become arctan (root7 / 3). I remember getting 5i + 12 or whatever but for a much earlier question.

But I for sure, for the complex quadratic, got x^2 + 3x + 4. Which became x = +/- -3 +/- i(root7) the whole by two. Right?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
Yeah...I just hope. Urgh.

Yh I'm hoping to receive method marks...although my work was allover the place..and some was in pencil :0 so doubting I'll get that...

what you hoping for/what do you need from maths?
Reply 52
Original post by arra
Doesn't that become arctan (root7 / 3). I remember getting 5i + 12 or whatever but for a much earlier question.

yeah If you see above..in the pic she posted its there...remember it had to be put in the e form.

5i +12 is from part A
Reply 53
Yeah, I put it in e form, but I left the argument as arctan.

I was going to say something like "a theta between 30 and 45 :P" but felt leaving it in arctan was ok, hope they didn't expect something like drawing a triangle and god knows somehow figuring out what it actualyl was.
Reply 54
Original post by arra
Yeah, I put it in e form, but I left the argument as arctan.

I was going to say something like "a theta between 30 and 45 :P" but felt leaving it in arctan was ok, hope they didn't expect something like drawing a triangle and god knows somehow figuring out what it actualyl was.

same I left in arctan...I had no time to try and figure it out

although I was convinced it might be wrong cos its an awkward value and wasted time resolving to come to same answer before I decided to allow and try and finish paper:P
Reply 55
Yeah exactly! I don't mind a harder question without stupid bloody answers as not just root7/3 but bloody arctan of that!
Reply 56
Original post by arra
Yeah exactly! I don't mind a harder question without stupid bloody answers as not just root7/3 but bloody arctan of that!

I agree completely! why on earth would anyone get that answer and be fully confident it's correct without wasting time second guessing...grrr 29 marks on complex numbers....well on the brightside...at least we all got that so its hopefully right:P
Original post by banban
yeah If you see above..in the pic she posted its there...remember it had to be put in the e form.

5i +12 is from part A

Sis... it's he :smile:
Reply 58
Hey guys, Paper 1 I found easy, paper 2 was very difficult due barely being taught about statistiscs and probability.

How did you find paper 2? Harder than the previous years or easier? Also, i got the same result for the complex number question on paper 1.
Original post by aldinger
Hey guys, Paper 1 I found easy, paper 2 was very difficult due barely being taught about statistiscs and probability.

How did you find paper 2? Harder than the previous years or easier? Also, i got the same result for the complex number question on paper 1.

Shouldn't talk about paper 2 yet

Quick Reply