The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The colours are not logical so you have to just straight out learn them. When I was doing A levels I didn't bother trying too hard to remember them all. Asking about colours was usually not more than a couple of marks in the exam and it wasn't worth the extra effort to pick up just a couple of marks. It is best to learn them if you can though.
Reply 2
I have found from doing past papers that not knowing the colours of these can result in a lot of marks being lost. There are no specific tricks, just find what works for you to learn them all. This video on Youtube has helped me, it's only the 2+ ions though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoYORlUBDS8&feature=youtu.be
Original post by Hanz_a93
For different ligands there are different colours and there are so many its hard to remember all of them! Is there a trick/shortcut way to remember/figure out the colours? thanks :smile:

This is for a2 level btw (salters chem)

Apparently no easy way around it! it might help if you have them all in one page
Reply 4
Original post by arvin_infinity
Apparently no easy way around it! it might help if you have them all in one page

Thanks...but im a pro at it now :P

Its been a looong time since Jan.. xD
Thanks...but im a pro at it now :P

Its been a looong time since Jan.. xD

lol
Well I only noticed this is a old thread! someone is gonna get "TSR warning here"
so how did you manage that anyway
Reply 6
Original post by arvin_infinity
lol
Well I only noticed this is a old thread! someone is gonna get "TSR warning here"
so how did you manage that anyway

Just did dozens of past papers and it sunk in eventually lol ..
Reply 7
The only thing I can recommend is that the larger the delta for a complex, the more energy a photon needs to promote an electron, more energy = higher frequency = lower wavelength = more towards the violet end of the spectrum.
Original post by illusionz
The only thing I can recommend is that the larger the delta for a complex, the more energy a photon needs to promote an electron, more energy = higher frequency = lower wavelength = more towards the violet end of the spectrum.

I wouldn't recommend they learn about CFT just to get a feeling on colours of complexes :p:

I think I just drew out all the coloured complexes I needed to know onto one page and wrote the complexes in the associated coloured pen :awesome:
Reply 9
Original post by EierVonSatan
I wouldn't recommend they learn about CFT just to get a feeling on colours of complexes :p:

I think I just drew out all the coloured complexes I needed to know onto one page and wrote the complexes in the associated coloured pen :awesome:

I've definetely seen A level discussions about splitting of d orbitals and delta values etc, so presumed they knew a little bit about it. I admit I was surprised when I did as I definetely didn't do it.
I've definetely seen A level discussions about splitting of d orbitals and delta values etc, so presumed they knew a little bit about it. I admit I was surprised when I did as I definetely didn't do it.

I *think* it's one of the optional topics on one exam board. I'm unsure though, they change a lot from one year to the next :rolleyes:

I wish they'd pay me to set the exams and specs. Then again...nobody would pass :awesome:
I *think* it's one of the optional topics on one exam board. I'm unsure though, they change a lot from one year to the next :rolleyes:

I wish they'd pay me to set the exams and specs. Then again...nobody would pass :awesome:

Ah ok fair enough. I always find it tricky to remember what exactly I did at A level and what was at uni... And it wasn't even long ago!

As for setting the specs, I've always thought that it would make a lot more sense for them to go into more detail about some aspects of chemistry and just scrap the pointless 'Learn X does Y for no apparent reason' stuff. A simple understanding of MO theory and HOMO/LUMO makes organic mechanisms suddenly make a lot more sense rather than just being a load of arrows.

Oh yeah, and chemical tests are just a monumental waste of time!
Ah ok fair enough. I always find it tricky to remember what exactly I did at A level and what was at uni... And it wasn't even long ago!

As for setting the specs, I've always thought that it would make a lot more sense for them to go into more detail about some aspects of chemistry and just scrap the pointless 'Learn X does Y for no apparent reason' stuff. A simple understanding of MO theory and HOMO/LUMO makes organic mechanisms suddenly make a lot more sense rather than just being a load of arrows.

I think there are many undergrads that would tell you orbitals just make mechanisms complicated :p: Just some better understanding of mechanisms and less ''learn this mechanism'' type teaching would go a long way for the more able.

Oh yeah, and chemical tests are just a monumental waste of time!

Completely agree.
I think there are many undergrads that would tell you orbitals just make mechanisms complicated :p: Just some better understanding of mechanisms and less ''learn this mechanism'' type teaching would go a long way for the more able.

I guess they're more complicated in terms of there being more to be aware of, but in my opinion it turns it from a memorising exercise into an understanding one, where you can work things out which you haven't seen before by understanding what is going on, rather than just memorising it.

I'm sure my opinion is clouded a bit because I've always enjoyed chemistry and been able to do it, there are almost certainly examples in physics/maths where I'd be on the side of the people who just want to remember the basics rather than getting more involved!
just write them out again and again. potassium purple, sodium- street lamps- yellow, magnesium-magnificent-magnificent white light you shouldnt look at etc etc. barium Bottle Green.
Mnemonics

Seeing as the colours can be matched up to the spectrum

Love can stop bad people
1) Lithium, 2) calcium, 3) sodium, 4) barium, 5) potassium

1) Red 2) Red/orange 3) yellow 4) green 5) skips to purple - but potassium is purple is easy to remember anyway

I don't know of that works for you but it is how I do it!
Reply 17
Closed.

It's five o'clock You Better Get Vodka

Five o'clock start at (+5) You=Yellow
(+4) Better=Blue
(+3) Get=Green
(+2) Vodka= Violet