The Student Room Group

got angry in Marks and Spencer yesterday, was I wrong?

I was buying some items and the cashier after scanning them just dumped my stuff next to the bags and moved on to the next customer. She even started placing her items in bags. I said "excuse me, but is that customer service?"

Was this wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't they normally ask you if you want help with your packing? I normally just pack my items away myself anyway.
Original post by jo d
I was buying some items and the cashier after scanning them just dumped my stuff next to the bags and moved on to the next customer. She even started placing her items in bags. I said "excuse me, but is that customer service?"

Was this wrong?

As they always say "the customer is always right". It sounds a bit rude to me just to move straight on as you said they did and you have every right to be annoyed if you want.
Reply 3
Right or wrong, the confusion I'm feeling at attempting to decipher the possible reason for starting such a thread is..... quite palpable.
(edited 11 years ago)
Absolutely not. The women that work in my local Asda have faces like flat-packed steel. Realy bugs me sometimes, good manners don't cost anything.
Reply 5
Just pack your stuff and get out
Reply 6
'Tis annoying but slightly petty for you to be so annoyed that you felt the need to create a thread about it.
Reply 7
I think you're right, they should allow you to have finished packing your things into bags before serving the next customer. I got annoyed in Marks once because they refused to serve me as I had to prove I was 16, but I was too young to have any ID, and the woman who was serving me was not helpful at all about the situation.
Reply 8
No, I think that's fine. Whenever I buy clothes they always fold and put them in bags for me.
Original post by jo d

Was this wrong?

Maybe she was shy? and impressed by your overwhelming masculinity as to be rendered speechless and unable to truly comprehend your aura of confidence
Reply 10
Original post by anon1212
Just pack your stuff and get out

LOL haha
Original post by jo d

Was this wrong?

Yes you were wrong. What are you? A prima donna? Cashiers don't get paid minimum wage to smile at you and pack your things nice and neatly.
Reply 12
Maybe she thought you were rude and arrogant and decided not to help you?
Reply 13
Original post by OmeletteAuFromage
Yes you were wrong. What are you? A prima donna? Cashiers don't get paid minimum wage to smile at you and pack your things nice and neatly.

Yes, they do.
Reply 14
Original post by Riderz
Maybe she thought you were rude and arrogant and decided not to help you?

lol.. read up on customer service theory/practice. A server doesn't necessarily have that discretion.
Reply 15
Original post by aeterno
'Tis annoying but slightly petty for you to be so annoyed that you felt the need to create a thread about it.

Wanting good customer service is bad?
Original post by jo d
Yes, they do.

Nope.
Nah you were definitely right, I'd have said something as well.
They ARE paid to smile and pack nicely, also we're talking about Marks and Spencers here so you expect a certain level of decency. I'd be appalled at myself if I treated someone like that work.

I want to know how she reacted!
This isn't just any trivial matter... this is an M&S trivial matter :smile:
Original post by RandomPeopleDancin
As they always say "the customer is always right". It sounds a bit rude to me just to move straight on as you said they did and you have every right to be annoyed if you want.

Have you ever worked in a job like that? Do you have any idea how many pompous, irritable, self-righteous people have probably just passed in front of her eyes in the last few hours, treating her like nothing more than a servant?

"The customer is always right" comes from the management - it's just asking the employees to do more for less. In fact, it got quoted at us so often at my last job that we were officially told that "the customer is not always right", and whilst we should be polite and go out of our way to help them, it's a business and they can't use it to get free stuff.

Granted she was a bit rude, OP, but you could be a bit more considerate - everyone has bad days, and while good manners might cost nothing, having a smile for every person that goes through your checkout 10 hours a day 300 or so days a year, must be almost impossible.

Quick Reply

Latest