The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Probably i will sleep on the streets this Septeber

i searched the accommodations{that i can afford }and are around my uni and they told me they are fully booked for September...{i went in their waiting lists but still im extremely nervous cause i cant afford to rent on my own a flat since you cant find anything under 430 per month without the bills}i really dont get it last year i booked my accomodation at the end of august and now is in the middle of may and are fully booked? wtf...

Is anyone else like that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What? Fully booked? Damn... I haven't make arrangements for my accommodation yet. Because I just firmed Liverpool University and I need to get the confirmation of a place in order to get an accommodation right?

Oh no... Didn't know it was all fully booked. But I heard them saying that international students are guaranteed to have a place in the halls. Well, I'm an international student, but hopefully I do get a place...
Liverpool
Reply 2
You must be able to find somewhere with lower rent than that. I live in London and don't pay that much. Also, don't worry too much at this stage as once people get results etc there will be some that don't turn up to take their place in halls, so something will come up.
Reply 3
You'll find somewhere. It may be some prison-esque, cockroach filled squat, but you'll find somewhere to live. Anywhere is better than nowhere.
Reply 4
Original post by KatieCruel
You must be able to find somewhere with lower rent than that. I live in London and don't pay that much. Also, don't worry too much at this stage as once people get results etc there will be some that don't turn up to take their place in halls, so something will come up.

nope that sounds right for liverpool 100 a week
Reply 5
Why in gods name do homeless people gravitate towards filthy city centers? Have they never heard of cheap tents from lidl and wild camping? "Hey you could spend your time fishing and walking in the country" "are you insane?! There's a filthy doorway and people with spare change in town" :s-smilie:

edit: oh, your talking about term time.. Cant help much there. Sorry.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by green.tea
Why in gods name do homeless people gravitate towards filthy city centers? Have they never heard of cheap tents from lidl and wild camping? "Hey you could spend your time fishing and walking in the country" "are you insane?! There's a filthy doorway and people with spare change in town" :s-smilie:

to buy a tent you need money
to get money you need a job
to get a job you require a bank account
to get a bank account you require a permanent residence
to get a permanent residence you need money

its a vicious cycle
Reply 7
cool story bro
usually for uni for second and onwards year housing people sort out their contracts in early spring/even late winter. So applying now would be very late if that's the case.

You tried using studentpad.com? Websites for uni students to find housing. Or other similar websites?
Reply 9
Original post by kopite493
to buy a tent you need money
to get money you need a job
to get a job you require a bank account
to get a bank account you require a permanent residence
to get a permanent residence you need money

its a vicious cycle

WOW O.O

I don't wanna grow up anymore now
Reply 10
Original post by almalibre11111
i searched the accommodations{that i can afford }and are around my uni and they told me they are fully booked for September...{i went in their waiting lists but still im extremely nervous cause i cant afford to rent on my own a flat since you cant find anything under 430 per month without the bills}i really dont get it last year i booked my accomodation at the end of august and now is in the middle of may and are fully booked? wtf...

Is anyone else like that?

Couldn't you move in to a house with other students? I think that's what most do in second year.

Check out this site if you haven't already: http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/Liverpool.asp

It looks like there are loads of people with spare rooms for less than 400 a month
Reply 11
Exaggerating or what...
Reply 12
Original post by 007Shella
WOW O.O

I don't wanna grow up anymore now

That's all I have been saying since I finished GCSE :frown:

It was so much more simple when I was a kid :frown: Now everything is either illegal or weird :colonhash:
Original post by aishahsenin
What? Fully booked? Damn... I haven't make arrangements for my accommodation yet. Because I just firmed Liverpool University and I need to get the confirmation of a place in order to get an accommodation right?

Oh no... Didn't know it was all fully booked. But I heard them saying that international students are guaranteed to have a place in the halls. Well, I'm an international student, but hopefully I do get a place...

basically i dont think that is correct ,they only want money ,they dont care about internationals or natives or whatever..lets hope for someone to cancel because then we are going to have trouble..
Original post by KatieCruel

trust me i lived first year in Liverpool and the prices are like that..{about city center and mainly around the unis which is the point} maybe you can find about 50minutes away a home that will cost 300-350 but still it would be in the middle of nowhere {far from library,far from uni,far from the center and u ll need to buy ticket pass every month which makes it expensive also} lets hope that someone will not turn up...the thing that strikes me most is that in my first year when i start searching it was middle july and i booked middle of august and now three -four months before September they say they are fully booked..
Septeber? :facepalm:
Original post by LemonLizards
usually for uni for second and onwards year housing people sort out their contracts in early spring/even late winter. So applying now would be very late if that's the case.

You tried using studentpad.com? Websites for uni students to find housing. Or other similar websites?

i used them but i didnt find anything interesting....because last year i booked middle of august i really thought that booking middle of may in an accommodation with 816rooms wouldn't be a problem..and most of the people i know didnt book or plan anything about it...
ok boys i just got accepted
Original post by green.tea

I know it's a sideline, (congratulations on getting accepted btw OP :smile:), but I don't think it would be easy to live like that in the UK any more. Most of the skills are lost, most of the woodland is gone or privately owned, and even our local river is owned by a fishery, who you have to pay for permission to fish.

It sounds like a nice idea, but realistically you would be just as filthy and starving, and there would be nobody to help you.
Reply 19
If you really needed somewhere to stay you could look for ads for a lodger in someone's house. The social aspect won't be there, but at least you'll have a safe place to sleep. And it'll probably be cheaper than halls too.

A very quick google comes up with this:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/lodger-wanted-for-double-room-in-wavetree/101290061

£81/week for double room. I'd imagine that if you look hard enough you'll find a small house with a single bed for less...maybe £60/week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending