The Student Room Group

Is 250MB of Internet Allowance enough?

OK, so I am getting a new phone (I think something in the HTC One series) and I have found a great contract and deal that is affordable. However, on the deal it said I could only use 250MB of Internet per month, and I'm not exactly sure how much this is.

I don't plan to be streaming HD Movies etc. I will just be using the phone to check Facebook, go on Google Translate, go on Twitter, check UCAS etc. Just generally things of that nature. Would 250 MB last me a month?

Also, with 250MB could I download apps outside of Wifi areas?

Also, I assume internet usage in WiFi areas doesn't come under that 250MB data plan, am I correct?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Giant
OK, so I am getting a new phone (I think something in the HTC One series) and I have found a great contract and deal that is affordable. However, on the deal it said I could only use 250MB of Internet per month, and I'm not exactly sure how much this is.

I don't plan to be streaming HD Movies etc. I will just be using the phone to check Facebook, go on Google Translate, go on Twitter, check UCAS etc. Just generally things of that nature. Would 250 MB last me a month?

Also, I assume internet usage in WiFi areas doesn't come under that 250MB data plan, am I correct?

Should be fine if you're not a heavy user :smile:

You can download apps which make sure you're not going over the limit (I use 3G watchdog)

Apps like Angry Birds, etc, are typically 20MB so you could download a few... I'd save it for WiFi though, just to be safe :smile:

No, internet used over WiFi doesn't come under that data plan.
Reply 2
Original post by wibletg
Should be fine if you're not a heavy user :smile:

You can download apps which make sure you're not going over the limit (I use 3G watchdog)

Apps like Angry Birds, etc, are typically 20MB so you could download a few... I'd save it for WiFi though, just to be safe :smile:

No, internet used over WiFi doesn't come under that data plan.

Thanks a lot, I'm just really hesitant because I don't want to be using all of it in my first 3 days or something like that :O
Reply 3
Original post by Giant
Thanks a lot, I'm just really hesitant because I don't want to be using all of it in my first 3 days or something like that :O

Like I said, download 3G Watchdog off the Android store :tongue:

I don't think I've ever gone above 250MB but I do connect my phone to my home WiFi as much as possible so that might be why :smile:
Reply 4
yar 250mb is fine so longs you dont stream a lot of music or movie content on your device :smile:
Reply 5
Don't watch any videos. They gobble up your data fast.
Reply 6
Should be fine :smile:

You should definitely get 3G Watchdog from the Play Store, it's really good :yep:
Reply 7
Original post by cl_steele
yar 250mb is fine so longs you dont stream a lot of music or movie content on your device :smile:

Original post by Camoxide
Don't watch any videos. They gobble up your data fast.

Original post by Mazzini
Should be fine :smile:

You should definitely get 3G Watchdog from the Play Store, it's really good :yep:

Thanks a lot for all the help guys, much appreciated :smile:
I have 750mb and always use that by the end of the month but I only check social network sites with it?
I don't know, maybe it's because I have an iPhone and some app is draining it :')

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
If your contract comes with free Wifi (and you live in a big town/a city) then 250MB should be fine.
Reply 10
Buy the phone sim free, it's about £350 on amazon and join giffgaff. £10 a month, unlimited Internet and texts as well as 250minutes.
I have a gb of usage each month for my iphone, which is great to let me do emails on the go and look up pub quiz answers ;p but cos I'm mainly on wifi I barely even tough 200 mb. If your gonna sit and watch iplayer and YouTube you'll need a lot more, like wise, if you're going to sit constantly refreshing social network sites and gps you'll need more.

If its for the basics 250 would be fine, just leave email attachments and app downloads to when your on your wifi.

Also i tend to just turn my 3G on when and as I need it.

EDIT: bare these figures in mind when looking at file sizes

1 bit = 1024 kbs
1024 kbs = 1 mb
1024 mbs = 1 gb

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by David Sayers
I have a gb of usage each month for my iphone, which is great to let me do emails on the go and look up pub quiz answers ;p but cos I'm mainly on wifi I barely even tough 200 mb. If your gonna sit and watch iplayer and YouTube you'll need a lot more, like wise, if you're going to sit constantly refreshing social network sites and gps you'll need more.

If its for the basics 250 would be fine, just leave email attachments and app downloads to when your on your wifi.

Also i tend to just turn my 3G on when and as I need it.

Shame on you.
Reply 13
Original post by hannahcoroner
I have 750mb and always use that by the end of the month but I only check social network sites with it?
I don't know, maybe it's because I have an iPhone and some app is draining it :')

i believe i read somewhere thats because iphones are constantly connected to the net or something like that via the FB, Twitter etc. apps that may be whats draining your allowance on it, i think theres an option to disable it unless you want it on though, of course i could be wrong but hey ho :tongue:
Reply 14
With 250MB you'll have to think about your internet usage every time you use your phone, which somewhat takes the fun out of having access to the internet on the go. How much more would you be paying if you went with an unlimited plan?
The fact I have a gb? Also, I don't do pub quizzes ;p just an example. I only have that much cos it's my satnav if I need it and because it's the only way I got unlimited texts with enough minutes for me. Plus I got a discount on my contract when I went for this option

Original post by Camoxide
Shame on you.

Quoted for my previous comment

Also, anyone know when 4g is in action, I think 3G struggling somewhat these days. Or is that just me?

Original post by Giant

Hold on, I know plenty of people are saying it's enough, but personally I have 500mb and on my old Android phone I was constantly meeting that limit. 250mb is very, very little - you'll have 8mb a day..
3 minutes of video and boom, your data will be used up. 2 minutes of HD video will leave you owing the network about £1. You'll be able to view about 50 single webpages a day, assuming you do nothing else. Download an app and that will probably be the equivalent of 3 days' usage. I would be very careful about agreeing to 250mb - over the next couple of years we're going to see even more internet capabilities from mobiles, and you will live to regret it.
Reply 18
It probably would be. I have unlimited 3G so I use it with reckless abandon and have never gone over 350mb.
Original post by cl_steele
i believe i read somewhere thats because iphones are constantly connected to the net or something like that via the FB, Twitter etc. apps that may be whats draining your allowance on it, i think theres an option to disable it unless you want it on though, of course i could be wrong but hey ho :tongue:

Oh I'll definitely look into that! I know that iMessage drains loadsss of your allowance so I've turned that off but yeah I'll see if I can turn anything else off :-)
That would make sense because I always get notifications from Facebook/ twitter etc so they must be always connected!
Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest