The Student Room Group

PGCE and Dyslexia

Howdy all,

Getting ready to start a Primary PGCE at Chester this Monday. Excited and scared senseless at the same time!

I just wanted to ask for some advice. I'm dyslexic, predominantly regarding maths.

I booked myself some private evening tutoring prior to my PGCE interview and maths tests where I managed to scrape a 50%, which on my other merits I was granted a place on the course.

So obviously I'm once again taking tutoring in light of the QTS tests.

But I recently read an article on people with learning difficulties or dyslexia taking PGCEs and how the University can or should provide support.

Do you guys think its wise to turn up and make it known to my PAT or Mentor that I do struggle with Maths and whether there is anything the University can do to help? What sort of things can they do in this situation?

Thanks folks.
Reply 1
If you are dyslexic you should definitely let the uni know. Any member of staff should be able to direct you to the right place, but in general the uni will have an office who deals with this, perhaps the dean of students office. They will be able to talk with you about if you need any extra help, and how they can provide that to you. They can also sort out any systems in place in your uni regarding marking- for example, at my uni a coloured sticker system is used on coursework so that it can be taken in to consideration by the marker.

Your mentor, or whoever discusses the QTS tests with you, should be able to help advise you on the QTS tests too. I would imagine that your uni will provide maths 'catch up' classes for those who need them to prepare for the skills tests, because a lot of people need a boost in their maths skills simply because they haven't 'done maths' for ages. The unis are generally very sympathetic to the fact that a lot of people need help with maths for various reasons, and they certainly won't be annoyed with you for asking! They should know some good techniques you can use during the tests as well.

xxx
Reply 2
Hi,

I am going into my final year so will be applying for a PGCE this year.
I will have to take a Maths and Literacy skills tests. I have failed all of the practices so far, they have chosen elements which dyslexics do struggle with- certain words on the spelling test etc. Further I have never been taught proper grammar at school, which only adds to my problems with this test.

I am aware I will get extra time within the test but, will my University provide me with any extra support?
I am worried I will fail these tests and not be able to complete a PGCE, despite how good I may be at my subject and the experience I have gained.
I got very good GCSE's and even better Alevels and these tests are making me feel more than inadequate.

any advice will be appreciated

Jade
Reply 3
I think if you have dyslexia they make some special allowances in th tests, I'm not sure whether it's just extra time or a yellow screen or something else, but definitely have a word with your uni. You won't be the only one worried about the maths test and your uni will probably hold extra maths classes, if not maybe think of setting up a study group?

Ooh and apparently the real tests aren't as difficult as the practice ones! I start my PGCE on Monday too, so nervous! Good luck xx
Reply 4
GJM
OP
Thanks for the advice, i'll raise the subject with my PAT as soon as the opportunity arises. The idea of maths 'top-up' classes sounds good, hope there is something similar in place. :smile:
Reply 5
So sorry to bring up an old thread, but this seemed kind of relevant!

I've got a place on secondary geography school direct (will be doing a pgce alongside this) and I am dyslexic. I obviously had a needs assessment during my undergraduate degree and received a laptop, the usuals.

I've been told I won't be able to do lesson observations with a laptop as it's distracting for the children, but current trainees use pen and paper or iPads. I'm so slow with writing on paper (this sounds terrible going into teaching!) but feel an iPad would help. I've tried with my boyfriends iPad in a lecture and I can use it really fast.

So my question is: does anyone know whether I'd be able to have another needs assessment before I start my PGCE and school direct in September and would it be possible to get some money towards an iPad?

(I am aware this sounds really cheeky but I can't afford an iPad right now, and won't be able to with the money I get from student finance next year either! Just wondered if I could get some help)
Reply 6
Original post by Urbanvid91
So sorry to bring up an old thread, but this seemed kind of relevant!

I've got a place on secondary geography school direct (will be doing a pgce alongside this) and I am dyslexic. I obviously had a needs assessment during my undergraduate degree and received a laptop, the usuals.

I've been told I won't be able to do lesson observations with a laptop as it's distracting for the children, but current trainees use pen and paper or iPads. I'm so slow with writing on paper (this sounds terrible going into teaching!) but feel an iPad would help. I've tried with my boyfriends iPad in a lecture and I can use it really fast.

So my question is: does anyone know whether I'd be able to have another needs assessment before I start my PGCE and school direct in September and would it be possible to get some money towards an iPad?

(I am aware this sounds really cheeky but I can't afford an iPad right now, and won't be able to with the money I get from student finance next year either! Just wondered if I could get some help)

It's definitely worth asking. My immediate reaction is that they might say yes to a tablet, if not an iPad (any tablet should have similar benefits for you, for example a Nexus is much cheaper so probably makes more sense!). Even if they say they can't help, this might make it more affordable for you anyway.

Another option would be one of those new keyboards which are touch based rather than pressing keys down. You could attach it to your laptop. But I have no idea whether they're expensive or not!

Lastly what was the context in which they said you can't use laptops? Was it specifically relating to the issues you think you might encounter? If not, it's worth asking. I have had tutors type up observations on a NetBook during my lessons and didn't even notice they were typing so it's possible they may allow it in an exception, especially if you say you will try to keep typing during the whole class input to a minimum, so it mostly happens in the more noisy part of the lesson when you probably won't be heard anyway.

Xxx

Edit: oh, and also, maybe the school has a tablet you can use!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by kpwxx
It's definitely worth asking. My immediate reaction is that they might say yes to a tablet, if not an iPad (any tablet should have similar benefits for you, for example a Nexus is much cheaper so probably makes more sense!). Even if they say they can't help, this might make it more affordable for you anyway.

Another option would be one of those new keyboards which are touch based rather than pressing keys down. You could attach it to your laptop. But I have no idea whether they're expensive or not!

Lastly what was the context in which they said you can't use laptops? Was it specifically relating to the issues you think you might encounter? If not, it's worth asking. I have had tutors type up observations on a NetBook during my lessons and didn't even notice they were typing so it's possible they may allow it in an exception, especially if you say you will try to keep typing during the whole class input to a minimum, so it mostly happens in the more noisy part of the lesson when you probably won't be heard anyway.

Xxx

Edit: oh, and also, maybe the school has a tablet you can use!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I only said iPad because that's what I'd used to try - any tablet would probably be better. I think the context is that they don't want the students to be distracted as it's loud on a laptop - it's a general rule for all trainees so I'm not sure they'd justify making an exception if tablets are acceptable (I suppose they're more discreet).

It's worth asking if they have a tablet I could borrow - not sure how easy it would be transferring my notes across though.

Thanks for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending