The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1
Are you not getting a loan?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Most people's loans don't cover accomodation, especially in an expensive city like Edinburgh. My loan will be £3700 max, which will definitely not pay for catered accomodation (or self catered + food)!
Reply 3
angelmxxx
Most people's loans don't cover accomodation, especially in an expensive city like Edinburgh. My loan will be £3700 max, which will definitely not pay for catered accomodation (or self catered + food)!

A lot do, actually. Most of my friends here (paying London prices) have their accommodation covered by their loan. Thing is, he hasn't mentioned a loan at all - a loan PLUS a part time job could well cover it.
Reply 4
Charlski
A lot do, actually. Most of my friends here (paying London prices) have their accommodation covered by their loan. Thing is, he hasn't mentioned a loan at all - a loan PLUS a part time job could well cover it.

i guess it depends on parental income and how much money the government want to give you - i get the minimum, but I know lots of people do get bigger loans + also grants.

I agree though, a loan + job should be fine!
chris402
how much does it usually cost to live on campus at Edinburgh?

It's not a campus university so there's no "on campus" accommodation, the accommodation that the university offers is located around the city and within 15 minutes walk of the central area with most of the larger lecture theatres etc.

Accommodation ranges in price from £67 (small) - £94 (large) per week for self-catered accommodation and £110 (twin room)- £173 (large en-suite) per week for catered.

It's not really much more than the other places I looked at when I was applying. For more information look at the accommodation services' website.

And the estimated living costs that the international office offer might be of interest: here
If you're from Dundee you'll be on Scottish loans which I believe are titchy compared to English ones, however I'm sure all will be fine. Can your parents support you at all? Getting a job is not uncommon working 15 hours a week will thereabouts cover your rent unless you choose to live in Pollock (a waste of money in my mind - self catered rooms are generally bigger and you don't have to gain 3 stone) and your loan should cover the rest. Not taking out a student loan is just silly. If you don't spend it put it in a high interest savings account and you can earn money off it as it only goes up by the rate of inflation.
Reply 7
I'm self-catered and my loan covers all of my accomodation fees with £60 to spare! :O

As already stated it depends on what you're doing with your finances, generally living in Pollock will be more expensive and there are different sized rooms you could go for (I was going to give you a rough estimate of the prices but artorscience has them above so i'd go read that post. :tongue:)

Latest

Trending

Trending